MU vs. KU - a sports competition that will determine superiority FOREVER!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: MU vs. KU - a sports competition that will determine superiority FOREVER!!!

Post by kcmetro »

I think it's fair to say the Morris twins are still immature, but I don't think he meant to bump the ref last night.  The ref should have gotten out of his way if he was going to make such a big fuss over it.  The way Morris reacted, it was clear he didn't mean to bump him.  He wouldn't have contested the call so much had he done it intentionally.

LOL at Powercat for calling out Self as a coach who instills thuggery in his players.  :lol:
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I know how a jump ball works.  I just think that relying on the possession arrow to decide who gets the ball means that refs shouldn't call a jump ball when the opposing team barely touches the ball for a millisecond.  In other words its a bad rule.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Proof is in the pudding metro.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

kcmetro wrote: I think it's fair to say the Morris twins are still immature, but I don't think he meant to bump the ref last night. 
He probably didn't, but given he just had a foul called on him... then bumped him... and just kept walking.  9/10 times a ref will call a T in that situation.  I almost guarantee is Morris turns around after bumping him and apologizes there is no T.  
Maitre D wrote: Gosh, Twibell practically sucked Mizzou off the past 2 days.  Almost giddy they won.

610 does fill a KU void that 810 purposely leaves.
I have not listened to 610 since Twibell started there.  In fact, I have not listened since the DA days.  
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Disagree. We all know there is a way to walk by people and not lead into them. Obviously you are biased in this case. No way he didn't mean to at least 'brush' the ref. Don't be so myopic.
Myopic? - Pot/kettle dude.  Go back and watch it.  It was very much the sort of jumble that happens when players get tangled trying to get back up the floor.  If a player is so off his cradle that he just intentionally steamrolled a ref he isn't typically going to be shocked when he gets a T. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You are honestly basing his intentions on his reaction on the bench after the T?  Ok.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I don't think that the bump was intentional, but I do believe that 9/10 times, that situation is called a technical.  It was clear he touched shoulders with the ref, and I think the Morris twins have created, through a few other close brushes with chippy or near technical instances, an awareness by the referees that they are prone to that sort of thing.  As freshman, they still have a lot to learn as far as on-court attitude and demeanor go, though I do think they have come a long way in under one year of play.  KU fans often expect the world of these guys, but they are still just freshman.

If you look at Darrell Arthur's freshman season compared to Marcus Morris, they play an almost equal number of minutes (Arthur 47% to 'Cus' 45% - and 'Kief's 40%), and Marcus matches up surprisingly well.  Because 'Cus' game is inherently unsmooth and sloppy, I think he gets slammed a bit too much by the fans.  I'll put Kief's numbers in as well.

D. Arthur - eFG% of 53.8%; OR% of 12.8 (84th overall); DR% 14.5 (unranked); TO Rate of 16.4; fouls drawn/40 minutes 4.7; FT% 65%; FG% 55%; Assist Rate of 4.7

'Cus - eFG% of 50.8%; OR% of 14.1 (37th overall); DR% 17.6 (343rd); TO Rate of 20.8; fouls drawn/40 minutes 5.5; FT% 59%; FG% 49%; Assist Rate of 11

'Kief - eFG% of 48.3%; OR% of 12.1; DR% 20.1; TO Rate of 23.5; fouls drawn/40 minutes 4.5; FT% 65%; FG% 48%; Assist Rate of 12.7
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: You are honestly basing his intentions on his reaction on the bench after the T?  Ok.
His immediate reaction doesn't jive with the mens rea of the crime - that is all a defense lawyer needs.  
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oh I am sure he was shocked he actually got called on it. I am sure in hs he got away with that trash.

Great thespians the twins are. :)

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: That ring he wears probably helps.

i see MD and metro taught you how to just post a photo when all else fails, nice.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Petro said people near the play heard Morris say "that's a bull s***" as he bumped the ref.  Of course the KU coaches claim nothing was said.  Petro made a good point.  Marcus never returned to the game so he obviously did enough for Self to remove him from the rest of the game.  
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Disagree. We all know there is a way to walk by people and not lead into them. Obviously you are biased in this case. No way he didn't mean to at least 'brush' the ref. Don't be so myopic.
That "collision" with the ref was purely incidentally, maybe even instigated by the ref. That ref is a prick.

MU has shot that way all season. They win by creating havoc and turnovers and taking a lot of shots. High percentage shooters they are not. If they were, they would have hung 100 on KU last night. The opening 10 min looked like a 3rd grade game from a shooting standpoint.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

jlbomega wrote:  Petro made a good point.  Marcus never returned to the game so he obviously did enough for Self to remove him from the rest of the game.  
It was pretty clear that Bill was assuring the Ref he wouldn't be going back in right after the play - ESPN caught the exchange on camera pretty well and it wasn't too hard to figure out the content from the gestures. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Or the fact that it was his 4th foul. He was going to sit for a while regardless of discipline. Little was a better option at the end of the game as well.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

bobbyhawks wrote: I don't think that the bump was intentional, but I do believe that 9/10 times, that situation is called a technical.  It was clear he touched shoulders with the ref, and I think the Morris twins have created, through a few other close brushes with chippy or near technical instances, an awareness by the referees that they are prone to that sort of thing. 

No way does Cole Aldrich get called for that.  No way.  I just watched it again (for like the 10th time now) and the ref bee-lined into Morris.  And Morris said absolutely nothing during or after the bump.  Obv. I can't vouch for what he said immediately after the original foul was called on him, a bullshit" is certainly possible.

But you're right that the Morris twins have a rap.  They called for fouls all the time.  Cole hacks people to death at times and gets away with it, but Marcus lays the ball up 2min into the game on a fast break....and the ref takes 10 seconds to finally decide it was a (bogus) charge.  Refs that think they're part of the game, bug the shit out of me.    MLB has the worst problem with egotistical refs.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Maitre D wrote: Refs that think they're part of the game, bug the shit out of me.    MLB has the worst problem with egotistical refs.
Can't stand them either.  Some try to make it an art form.  A good ref/umpire is never noticed IMO.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

kcmetro wrote: Can't stand them either.  Some try to make it an art form.  A good ref/umpire is never noticed IMO.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

shinatoo wrote: That "collision" with the ref was purely incidentally, maybe even instigated by the ref. That ref is a prick.
I can't believe it, but Kietzman agrees.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

Maitre D wrote:Some caller on 610 made a good pt on that: "If an older person bumps into a younger person, the older person always expects an apology."
As an "older person" I think that's a bit of a gross generalization.

But it was posited by a caller to a sports talk show, and you know they're all idiots. &&&
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Right but when you're waking up at 7am and you can barely open your eyes....you need a little bit of idiocy to get you going!