Dunkin' Donuts returning to KC area in Nov 2008

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dunkin' Donuts returning to KC area in Nov 2008

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: donuts are good at a lot of places including supermarkets and convenience stores.
this is true, though i've found that lamar's donuts taste better. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: donuts are good at a lot of places including supermarkets and convenience stores.
At the supermarket or convenience store I am never very confident about the freshness since they are usually trucked in and apparently not all of them turn over their stock daily.  At a donut store you have a bit of reassurance that the donut was actually made that day and thats worth the special trip in my book.  Not that I eat a lot of donuts - but a stale donut that may have been on the convenience store shelf since monday isn't very appealing. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: At the supermarket or convenience store I am never very confident about the freshness since they are usually trucked in and apparently not all of them turn over their stock daily.  At a donut store you have a bit of reassurance that the donut was actually made that day and thats worth the special trip in my book.  Not that I eat a lot of donuts - but a stale donut that may have been on the convenience store shelf since monday isn't very appealing.  
there is a quik trip bakery in kc. and most any supermarket in kc has a bakery also. day-old bakery product is usually marked down or donated.

does anyone frequent any of kc's mexican bakeries?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: there is a quik trip bakery in kc.
Cool - but they still have to be trucked around.  Donut freshness is something that lasts hours at best.  For a glazed donut, the quality changes dramatically just in the first twenty minutes or so - hence the reason why real donut shops turn out constant batches of those durring morning hours.  

Joe's in Lawrence used to gaurantee fresh batches of glazed every twenty minutes.  Krispy Kream has 'em on like a continuous conveyor line.  

If I am going to eat something that is pure death-in-a-box than I want it to be peak quality - not dried out on the gas station shelf. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

lamar's has never failed me with donut quality, and they keep it simple. grocery stores are hit-and-miss, and dunkin' has been MIA until now.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

I don't even eat donuts from anywhere but lamars. donuts from anywhere else dont even tempt me.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: If I am going to eat something that is pure death-in-a-box than I want it to be peak quality - not dried out on the gas station shelf. 
That's my philosophy too.  If it's going to contribute to my demise, it better be damn good and "worth" the risk. 
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

The Lamar's in Blue Springs and the KK in Independence put me off donuts for the longest time, but a trip up to Chicago and several DD Boston Creme's later, and I was back eating them in no time.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Can't believe that Fluffy Fresh is getting no love. Absurd.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Can't believe that Fluffy Fresh is getting no love. Absurd.
they're good, but only how many locations?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

DaveKCMO wrote: they're good, but only how many locations?
2 that I know of...State LIne and Johnson Drive.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

fluffy fresh is pretty awesome.  that's what my dad always brought home for us on saturday mornings.  the place changed hands maybe 5-10 years ago and i dont think it is as good.

john's space age donuts off metcalf is pretty good too.  the chocolate icing they use is tasty.  the place is a relic too.

st. louis is ground zero for awesome donuts though.  each neighborhood in the city has its own decade-old donut shop, and people are fiercely loyal about their local spot.  i think a lot of them are gone now, but a few are still around.  i went to one in the st. louis hills neighborhood recently and it was awesome.  
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Where is Fluffy Fresh?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote: Where is Fluffy Fresh?
strip mall near 101st and state line. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Try these:

Boulevard Bakery-2815 Independence Ave.

Judi's-1250 Burlington, NKC
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I didn't go back thru this thread but for the last couple of pages, but regarding donuts in KC don't forget about Donut King on Chouteau.  Saw an ad in the pitch about pumpkin donuts at DK and started to get hungry.  Right next to Daimond Joe's and Stack's (awesome little diner/shack with an Italian influence and super cheap Italian Sausage sandwhiches).

I second the Lamar's recommendation, and I will always miss the old and filthy location on Linwood.  My father used to bring home a huge box of Lamar's from there on Sunday mornings, and would always save me a long john...ahh the memories.

are we spinning free?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

rxlexi wrote: I didn't go back thru this thread but for the last couple of pages, but regarding donuts in KC don't forget about Donut King on Chouteau.  Saw an ad in the pitch about pumpkin donuts at DK and started to get hungry.  Right next to Daimond Joe's and Stack's (awesome little diner/shack with an Italian influence and super cheap Italian Sausage sandwhiches).

I agree.  Doughnut King is quite a contrasting style compared to DD, and even Lamars.  Its still mostly Cake doughnuts, but they're...almost crunchy?  Quite good if you've never tried it before!
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Dunkin? Donuts will dip into Independence and Blue Springs
Rejoice, doughnut fans in Eastern Jackson County: three Dunkin? Donuts locations will open there between 2011 and 2013.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

treating kc just like the donuts they sell....leave that big hole in the middle DD.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc