My home on 11th & Grand

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: My home on 11th & Grand

Post by moderne »

Sorry, I live in the East Loop(ooh, scary) and have not witnessed this mayhem of lawlessness.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

moderne wrote: Sorry, I live in the East Loop(ooh, scary) and have not witnessed this mayhem of lawlessness.
Hiding under a rock? Maybe I witness it because I party with a couple of bail bondsmen who point this $hit out to me, not to mention my own brief stint in law enforcement. BTW, I'm far from scared...jus' sick of the trash attempting to ruin my up & coming neighborhood. 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i don't doubt that the east part of the loop has more crime than the west part of the loop in general, but i wouldn't be surprised to learn that 11th and Grand specifically is a hotbed of debauchery given the bail places, myriad bus stops, etc. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Would getting rid of the bail bond places in the Shoppers Parkade help?  I am sure more residents, (Abnos' plan to redo 10th & Oak, the Reserve) and eventually East Village will put hundreds of more eyes and ears on the streets.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

chrizow wrote:i wouldn't be surprised to learn that 11th and Grand specifically is a hotbed of debauchery given the bail places, myriad bus stops, etc. 
Exactly.
moderne wrote: Would getting rid of the bail bond places in the Shoppers Parkade help?
The Shoppers Parkade should be demolished sometime next year. 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

QueSi2Opie wrote: The Shoppers Parkade should be demolished sometime next year. 
who owns this menace?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

QueSi2Opie wrote: Hiding under a rock? Maybe I witness it because I party with a couple of bail bondsmen who point this $hit out to me, not to mention my own brief stint in law enforcement. BTW, I'm far from scared...jus' sick of the trash attempting to ruin my up & coming neighborhood. 
There is no doubt you are on the bleeding (bad pun) edge and most of us don't live in the Grand/McGee/Oak area....or really ever have a reason to be there, especially after 5pm....your building is really the first....so I wouldn't doubt you see more shady activities...especially if you have background in law enforcement, which gives you that "thousand mile stare" into people.

That being said...downtown generally is a very safe area, especially in the places where visitors actually come to (river market, crossroads, west of Walnut loop)...outside of a few isolated areas (11th & grand being one of them).  Let's hope everybody works together to continue to clean up areas further east
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

QueSi2Opie wrote: Hiding under a rock? Maybe I witness it because I party with a couple of bail bondsmen who point this $hit out to me, not to mention my own brief stint in law enforcement. BTW, I'm far from scared...jus' sick of the trash attempting to ruin my up & coming neighborhood. 
that makes all the difference. We folks without the law enforcement background don't notice the crap going on because we don't know what we are looking at. And I doubt that anyone else here does except maybe KCK. That is part of the reason many say that there is no crime in the city.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nota wrote: That is part of the reason many say that there is no crime in the city.
by the city I assume you mean any part of KC?

I stand by my statement of not seeing alot of crime downtown....I'm not in law enforcement but I know what a shooting, assault, prostitution, etc. looks like.  Now drug deals would be harder to spot.

K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

Law enforcement isn't the only side of the law that notices shady activity. lol
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like how the DCID has responded to this...like que said, they have put one of their portable booths there manned all day.

Amazing what a guy with a radio will dissuade people from doing.

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

nota wrote: that makes all the difference. We folks without the law enforcement background don't notice the crap going on because we don't know what we are looking at. And I doubt that anyone else here does except maybe KCK. That is part of the reason many say that there is no crime in the city.
Hmmm. Nota, I'm afraid you're imagination is too limited.  In the broad context we have very limited knowledge of one another from our forum experience.  I too make assumptions based on the "personalities" that seem to emerge from individual posts.

Relative to this thread, my life experiences have allowed me to know, observe and recognize a broad range of human conditions.  I knew crime Senator, and this is not crime. 

Kidding aside, downtown Kansas City is currently an amazingly secure place.  Crime was far more commonplace in the '60's, 70's, 80's and I guess even the 90's, than it is today.  Yeah, we have got window shoppers who will break into your car for 50 cents towards the abuse d'jour, and guys who will find a way to get to the roof of five story buildings to rip $5 worth of copper out of an air conditioner.  There's all kinds of overacheivers.

Fear downtown, for me, comes in the form of overserved young dudes who want to do something stupid to make the night memorable.  However, these same guys make me nervous in the suburbs too.

I do see drug deals take place downtown, even though most are pretty discrete.  I saw a lot more in my old Leawood neighborhood though, per capita.

Shootings in front of your building are reason to be concerned.  Downtown is not the problem, and low to moderate income is not the problem.  The problem appears to be that the management of your building leased to anyone who met the basic criteria in order to get the building filled quickly, rather than subjecting new tenants to careful analysis. 

The big worry continues to be lack of police presence to dissuade the really bad guys from working downtown.  Especially once the P & L district opens. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

loftguy wrote: I do see drug deals take place downtown, even though most are pretty discrete.  I saw a lot more in my old Leawood neighborhood though, per capita.

LOL!

Gotta call bullshit on that one, sorry dude.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Theiler
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Theiler »

Probably a different kind of drug, but drug nonetheless...
Raytown South '04
Mizzou '09
Financial Management Major, Business Minor
Royals, Chiefs, & Wizards fan
KC Baby!!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote:
LOL!

Gotta call bullshit on that one, sorry dude.
Does watching a suburban housewife pick up her script for "mother's little helper" at the Walgreen's count as seeing a drug deal?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

This seems like an appropriate thread to ask this in.    Anyone know what was going on around 11th & Grand last night around 10:45-11pm?  The police closed off Grand from 12th to 10th and had 11th closed from Walnut to McGee.  There were fire trucks, ambulances, and numerous police cars, with more continuing to pour in.  Whatever was going on seemed to involve a city bus.  There's no mention of it at all on any of the news sites this morning.