16 year old thread about John's Big Deck

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

16 year old thread about John's Big Deck

Post by TheNorthlander »

Maybe this has already been posted elsewhere, but I have been told that John's lease will not be renewed as the building next door (9th and Wyandotte) is going condo. 
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: 16 year old thread about John's Big Deck

Post by scooterj »

It seems kind of a waste to close altogether rather than being so unwilling to simply adapt to their changing surroundings.
scartva
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by scartva »

Do we know when they will close?
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

Wait are you talking about the graphic arts building? Around a 8 story building to the west of the library parking garage? If so do you have any info on it?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Seems like a good re-use of the John's Deck building might be a certain beloved hamburger joint being run out by Hooters.
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

K.C.Highrise wrote: Wait are you talking about the graphic arts building? Around a 8 story building to the west of the library parking garage? If so do you have any info on it?
The building going condo is the building that Park University and Datacore were in.  Both have left, so the building is getting quite vacant.  I know one of the tenants (not John's) and they said that the owners are not renewing their lease.  It runs out on Dec 31.  The building John's is in I guess is the same struture(?) as it has the same address.  I asked how the building could go condo with John's next door, I was told that its lease was expiring as well.
Last edited by TheNorthlander on Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Sweet!!!
I expect some noise living in the city, but good lord!  When I lived in the River Market on 3rd Street, I could hear that crappy band playing Stevie Nicks covers late into the night.  And karoke night is just ridiculous. 
I feel sorry for those people who moved into the Baker-Vaater (sp?) building across the street.
This is great news.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not sure closing all together is great news for downtown....that place brings a lot of people into our downtown.  If true I'm sure the library district tenants will be pleased.  If something else would go in there and just not have live music on the deck, I would love for something else to move in.  Downtown Flea Market sounds like a great idea.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

i do remember when Park left the newstory said something about condos in that building

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

why would they close altogether?  the only thing i've heard about Joe's Deck is "great place, great deck, but i wish they never had live music."

it seems to me that they could do well without the loud music, but keep the deck. 

oh well...i bet someone else opens another bar with a deck.  perhaps Chrizow's Deck.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chrizow wrote: why would they close altogether? the only thing i've heard about Joe's Deck is "great place, great deck, but i wish they never had live music."

it seems to me that they could do well without the loud music, but keep the deck.

oh well...i bet someone else opens another bar with a deck. perhaps Chrizow's Deck.
that's kind of my feeling.  If the owners of Johns need to leave because of lease, fine....hopefully some body else would come in with the same kind of setup but clean up the place a bit.  A nice place to chill on a roof deck to drink is a nice amenity to have.....John's specifically could come or go....and it sounds like go...which is good for the library district overall.

BTW, kcskyscrapers.com breaks a story once again if this comes to be.....expect a Hearne column about this in 2 months.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Half of this rumor has been confirmed by the KC Star  in this thread.

As for the rest of the rumor, one of my friends, who spends more time in bars than anyone I know, said that the owner of the Graphics Arts building owns the building Johns Deck is in.   What he has heard is that Johns Deck will close in November, and that the smaller building is being rezoned so that NOTHING bar or food related can go in.   That didn't make sense to me so I asked him for more and he said that was his understanding, but that mainly they are not going to allow anything in that building that generates any noise.   I asked what about a rooftop bar or restaurant that doesn't have music but he said the owner doesn't even want the sound of chatter.

I hope he was misinformed or misunderstood what he heard.   I can see killing the music, but not putting SOME form of replacement nightlife there could hurt the neighborhood more than it helps it.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah WTF?  if they want pin-drop quiet in their 'hood, move to Raymore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah from everybody I've talked to in the district, they want John's to stay, they just want the live music off the deck.

Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

Why would people move downtown if they want dead silence.  That's part of the city experience.  I understand cutting down on the live music on the deck, but no chatting?  That's insane!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Too bad. I brought some JoCo friends there recently and they loved it there.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

Well I live very close to John's and getting rid of the live music will be welcome but i'll be very disappointed if another bar or restaurant doesn't replace it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

josie ann's in the basement of the graphics art building has been closed for awhile now.....sign of what is to come I'm betting.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

you know that is bullshit. you want silence go live in oak grove or something fucked up like that.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

John's still looks open to me.