Should we do away with one ways?

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I don't think it's a bad idea to get rid of one ways downtown. It would stop the "in and out" attitude, promote mass transit and make the street scene more visible to motorists.

With the huge amount of freeways downtown...I don't see how people could complain about getting in and out.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

maybe...
I can't get good photos of buildings i want, and its confusing.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

One way streets are a great idea. Many people hate the idea of making three lefts to equal one right. It is so much easier to just give up and patronize the suburbs, rather than fight the one ways. The downtown streets scare people away, many are too wide, which promotes speeding. Returning streets to two way traffic, even if it is one lane in each direction would slow traffic and would bring back community life on the street. Contrary to popular belief, studies have shown that the traditional grid provides better flow than the endless maze of curves and cul de sacs. The traffic is evenly dispersed on the grid, and traffic isn't forced onto feeder roads. The narrower streets will also not lead to more congestion (although congestion is in my opinion good). Widened sidewalks must go along with this, we can easily give up lanes for wider sidewalks that will house tables and chairs for restaraunts and cafes, trees, flowers, benches. Free angled parking is a good idea too, makes more spaces available and frees
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

KCDevin wrote:maybe...
I can't get good photos of buildings i want, and its confusing.
Get out and WALK!
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The city has already decided to return many streets to two-way traffic. The mayor and the Downtown Council have both stated their supported. Unfortunately it takes a lot of money to revamp all of those streetlights, so it will probably take a couple of years before we see any visible changes. Sending a note to mayor@kcmo.org telling her you support this idea wouldn't be a bad idea.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

I support 2- way streets. I can't tellyou how many times in the 5 years I lived downtown I encountered out-of-towners and suburbanites driving the wrong way down a 1-way street. It was almost daily. I think 1-way streets just shuttle cars in and out of downtown as fast as possible. At least 2-way streets slow traffic down a little.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

How can you get lost in a downtown grid?

One-way streets add to charm, and pleasantly to me, make it more of a pain to drive without thinking about it. It makes people look at signs, and pay attention to their driving.

In addition, it makes taking the bus more favorable. :)