Downtown Louisville

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Downtown Louisville

Post by Missionite »

At the falls of the Ohio river sits the northernmost southern town and the southernmost northern town in the U.S. Known for its famous bats and horse races, Kentucky's largest city is one with many different names. To this writer, it's pronounced Lou-e-ville and, I have to admit, I'm already looking forward to my next visit.

With a day to kill after attending a media day for Kings Island's new coaster (Cincinnati), I took the two-hour drive down I-71 to a city I had only previously driven through. With my Six Flags season pass, I started my Saturday visit with a trip to Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. With clear blue skies and a temperature in the upper 70s, the day was perfect...at least until I tried to enter the gates of Kentucky Kingdom. What a nightmare this park is (I'll save that for another time). I thought my day was ruined.

After fighting through nonsense for a few hours, I headed for my hotel near the convention center downtown. Finding it was easy. After a quick nap it was time to hit 4th Street Live (see my 4th Street Live post) and take a stroll through downtown. I was impressed.

Louisville's downtown is surprisingly very pedestrian friendly. Crosswalks are clearly marked and all are automated. Most have the countdown timer as well, making crossing the street a breeze. Classic lantern light posts line the streets. Bus stops were neatly kept and trashcans proudly proclaiming that you were in downtown Louisville were found at nearly every corner. There wasn't much in terms of pedestrian traffic (or vehicle traffic for that matter), but that may be due to the fact that it was 6:00 on a Saturday evening.

Throughout downtown Louisville I noticed couples taking carriage rides similar to those offered on the Plaza. I also noticed that there wasn't much street-level retail or restaurants on the route I took. I ran into one Subway near the Jefferson County Courthouse, but it wasn't even open when I passed around 6:30.

As far as Louisville's skyline/buildings go, most are pretty basic boxes built in the 60s and 70s, and most are fairly spread out. I also noticed that most of the buildings in downtown Louisville are only 2-3 stories in height and that their downtown is plagued with surface lots as well. With Louisville going through a downtown renaissance of their own, I'm sure we'll see some of those surface lots disappear in the coming years.

As you can tell, Trip Reports aren't my forté. But, I can easily say I was impressed with Louisville. It wasn't what I thought it would be at all and, to be quite honest, I have a feeling I'll be back there again in the future.

Here are some random photos from my downtown stroll.

Louisville Skyline from the riverfront park covering I-64 (name unknown)

I-64 passing under the riverfront plaza. The new Waterfront Park Place residential tower is in the distance.

PNC Plaza (left) and National City Tower (right)

Image Image

The Humana Building (left) and the Kentucky Home & Life Building (right)

Image Image

Jefferson County Courthouse

The Galt House Hotel

B&W Tower (left) and the BB&T Building (right)

Image Image

The Aegon Center - Louisville's tallest building

Image Image

Since I only had a short time to spare before my flight home, I stopped by Newport on the Levee in Cincinnati (actually in Newport, KY) and snapped a few skyline shots. It wasn't the best day for photo taking.

The Cincinnati Skyline (obviously).

The Purple People Bridge -- a newly converted pedestrian-only bridge

The I-471 bridge.

That's all she wrote. I still need to work on my photo taking ability at night. Scratch that. My photo taking ability as a whole still needs some work as does my eye for good shots.  8-[  I guess we'll leave getting the good shots that everyone "oohs" and "ahhs" for up to Toss, GRID, scooter and the like. Oh well. I hope you enjoyed your glimpse at Louisville.

Now, it's back on the road again tomorrow for Denver. Hopefully I can spare some time to venture into yet another downtown that I have only previously driven through. *keeping fingers crossed*

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Downtown Louisville

Post by Tosspot »

Don't be modest Missionite, I like those pictures, and the night shots are great.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

Everything looks so clean and the streets are all so smooth......WOW!  Nice pictures, nice looking city.
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

I am originally from Louisville.  (BTW, if you are from the locale, it is pronounced "Lou-uh-vuhl.")  I am really disheartened by persons on this to it as a "redneck town."  I will say this much of Louisville:  It has certainlly put more efforts into rehabbing it's dowtown.  They have built an amazing riverfront park.  It runs the entire riverfront downtown and is beautiful.  They have already partnered with Cordish and accomplished the building of an enterntainment district downtown.  They built a new ballpark close to downtown.  They have Churchill Downs next to downtown.  Moreover, they are in the process of possibly building a downtown arena.  People are starting to go downtown.  If you really want to witness an amazing downtown, visit during the 4th of July.  "Thunder over Louisville" is the largest fireworks show in the world.  It is truly amazing.  Not too shabby for a "redneck downtown."  Perhaps more vision than KC, a city with 1,000,000 more people.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Louisville, being a city in KY, definitely has a strong hoosier element, but it is also known for its bohemian and independent music scene.  i know some people who moved there and absolutely love it.  it has some great old neighborhoods too.
Denver Josh
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Denver Josh »

Missionite wrote: Now, it's back on the road again tomorrow for Denver. Hopefully I can spare some time to venture into yet another downtown that I have only previously driven through. *keeping fingers crossed*
Matt
Sweet!  Let me know if you need some ideas.  Nice work on the phiznotos
"My ego's like my stomach, it keeps...shitting what I feed it."  Tim Kasher   / www.joshoakhurst.com
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

I would've never thought that Louisville was that clean and modern.  Good for them.  As for Cincy, man that reminds me of StL.  Old, dark, and out of date.  Oh well, they prob say the same thing about us. 
Peace.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

skim82 wrote: I would've never thought that Louisville was that clean and modern.  Good for them.  As for Cincy, man that reminds me of StL.  Old, dark, and out of date.
I felt the same way. I was expecting more out of Cincy than I was Louisville and experienced the complete opposite. Now, I didn't get to experience Cincy up-close, but when I arrived the skyline was surprisingly underwhelming. Your "old, dark and out of date" comment pretty much sums it up. Of course, it was a cold, dark day so that probably played a part in it.

As for the comments about Louisville being so clean...it was. Spotless. Not even oil spots in the roads, I tell ya.

Denver Josh wrote:Sweet!  Let me know if you need some ideas.  Nice work on the phiznotos
Josh, we'll be at at both Lakeside and Elitch Gardens this weekend. I've been to both parks before but can't remember...is it possible to walk to the core from the Elitch parking lots? If so, that might save us some time. If I remember, the light rail line runs nearby -- or are those freight tracks? It was a couple years ago and my memory is fuzzy.

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
Denver Josh
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Denver Josh »

Matt-

You can walk to the Denver Core from the Elitch lots.  The light rail does stop at Elitches and Pepsi Center (they share some parking lots) and from there is only about a 4 minute train ride to Union Station which is on the north end of the core.  But Walking is cool too- you'll get to cross over the platte river which would make for some sweet photos. 
"My ego's like my stomach, it keeps...shitting what I feed it."  Tim Kasher   / www.joshoakhurst.com