Restoration of City Control Over KCPD

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Restoration of City Control Over KCPD

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:44 am He is still under court monitoring and was using the stand your ground defense that our great state has. Laws have consequences did that hamper the judge's options in that case?
For Stand your ground to actually be in place, you have to not already be violating the law, which these individuals were, by carrying their firearms while being underage, as per federal law.

I’m not going to devolve this thread into a firearms law debate though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:55 am
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:44 am He is still under court monitoring and was using the stand your ground defense that our great state has. Laws have consequences did that hamper the judge's options in that case?
For Stand your ground to actually be in place, you have to not already be violating the law, which these individuals were, by carrying their firearms while being underage, as per federal law.

Not devolving but if we are bringing up this situation I think it's important to bring up all elements of it versus just throwing around "liberal" as the reason for everything

According to KC star article this isn't accurate given state law. Bottom of the article. Laws have consequences and have to apply for everyone not just what the lawmakers want it to cover.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 16041.html
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:52 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:55 am

Not devolving but if we are bringing up this situation I think it's important to bring up all elements of it versus just throwing around "liberal" as the reason for everything

According to KC star article this isn't accurate given state law. Bottom of the article. Laws have consequences and have to apply for everyone not just what the lawmakers want it to cover.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 16041.html
Federal law will still supersede this. Handguns are restricted for minors, and Short Barreled rifles are restricted and require registration for everyone.

Even if the self defense argument holds water (it very likely doesn’t) the illegal possession of a firearm is MORE than sufficient.

They were still actively violating the law, not to mention even in a self defense matter, you’re still responsible for every round fired, and a bystander hit should yield a second degree manslaughter charge.

At the very minimum involuntary manslaughter, as everyone involved with relation to the shooting, even if their round wasn’t the one that killed the individual, brandished and discharged a firearm.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think we can all agree we would like all involved in that situation charged with big boy adult crimes given the situation. It is interesting how laws we pass can have unintentional impacts when applied to scenarios that lawmakers didn't want them to apply to.

In this situation the DA brought charges.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:17 am I think we can all agree we would like all involved in that situation charged with big boy adult crimes given the situation. It is interesting how laws we pass can have unintentional impacts when applied to scenarios that lawmakers didn't want them to apply to.

In this situation the DA brought charges.
No question.

The thing here is that even if that law that exists to provide for an individuals right to self defense is utilized, these individuals still broke numerous laws in the meantime, and even if self defense is justified in court, they can still absolutely receive charges for the other crimes, and to the fullest extent of the law.

The attempt at a (perceived) illegitimate use of the statue to provide for self preservation doesn’t negate the viability of that law in providing for protection of individuals in life threatening situations, and unintended consequences from the existent of that law shouldn’t detract from lives it helps to protect.

That’s my peace on it though.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:17 am In this situation the DA brought charges.
Not entirely. She's still letting numerous people off the hook. The handling of this case has been a complete travesty. Especially considering that TWENTY TWO people were shot by these criminals who caused ONE MILLION people to have to flee for their lives.

https://apnews.com/article/chiefs-super ... a4bc5fd6f1
Witnesses told police two groups of boys and young men began the fight "arguing about why they were staring at each other."

Court documents unsealed Wednesday said 12 people brandished firearms and at least six people fired weapons at the Feb. 14 rally, which drew an estimated 1 million people to downtown Kansas City

At least the federal prosecutors have gone after a couple of the ones she's let slip through the cracks.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Oh, and lets not forget.. our amazing prosecutor elected to charge the bystander who secured one of the shooters weapons after it was dropped until it could be handed over to the police, with a felony charge for unlawful possession of a firearm. Full on NYC style prosecutorial misconduct on display.. in KC. Jean Peters Baker sure does make our town proud.
https://www.kshb.com/news/crime/prosecu ... e-shooting

Personally, I'd rather we deal with the folks actually shooting and attempting to kill people that day. But, that's just me.