Bannister Mall/Cerner

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Bannister Mall/Cerner

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chingon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:59 pm If the result of having "good" universities in the metro is you end up being a town like Nashville or Austin, I'll pass.
Honestly this. We have healthy growth rates as a region, are trending in the right direction with regard to attracting business in the region, and have a healthy startup scene, while also being an overall wide spread industry base, with no heavy specific industry.

I’m fine with our 1% growth and still being a relatively hidden gem
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

We are more of a not hidden, totally ignored, and fairly uninteresting quartz.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

chingon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:59 pm If the result of having "good" universities in the metro is you end up being a town like Nashville or Austin, I'll pass.
I don't understand that mentality at all.

Why?
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:51 pm
I don't understand that mentality at all.

Why?
Growth rates in both cities led to some significant issues with regard to those local areas, given both were in regions that were fairly easy development environments, so they absorbed a lot of that demand well, but not without significant growing pains
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chingon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:32 pm We are more of a not hidden, totally ignored, and fairly uninteresting quartz.
That’s the fucking spirit
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't want that hypergrowth either. However, I don't think one can say that KCMO's Downtown is healthy because it lacks big corporate headquarters. It's not only jobs but philanthropy that helps elevate a city. They also have the soft power that pushes city leadership to do better with maintaining infrastructure, public safety, cleanliness, and aesthetic things like keeping street trees in place, landscaping, and maintaining flower planters.

DST wasn't the biggest company in the world, but it had a huge impact on Downtown Kansas City redeveloping Quality Hill and other locations.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:03 am I don't want that hypergrowth either. However, I don't think one can say that KCMO's Downtown is healthy because it lacks big corporate headquarters. It's not only jobs but philanthropy that helps elevate a city. They also have the soft power that pushes city leadership to do better with maintaining infrastructure, public safety, cleanliness, and aesthetic things like keeping street trees in place, landscaping, and maintaining flower planters.

DST wasn't the biggest company in the world, but it had a huge impact on Downtown Kansas City redeveloping Quality Hill and other locations.
No question Downtown can absolutely benefit from a larger corporate presence downtown, and one that should be encouraged no doubt, but thoughtful growth with that is key. The runaway growth patterns that have Austin’s metro sprawling to near Killeen at this point are not something we should be after IMO
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Peters Baker is a real piece of shit as a person and a politician, but her ability to prosecute murders is severely restricted by the imbecility of Republican in Jefferson City, and that's a plain fact. Missouri's Stand Your Ground law is a license to kill in many situations that have very little to do with self-defense, and a lot to do making booger eaters in rural MO feel potent.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Theres something about Nashville for me thats unorganic and not particularly appealing as a local. Maybe I'm just mr grumpy but I couldn't bare to be around tourists and drunk college kids and bachelor(ette) parties all the time. The core Downtown area north of Broadway is still relatively quiet from my experience.

You can't however knock the growth of the skyline and the ongoing number of cranes in the sky. Thats why I'd hope any Royals stadium project is simply more than just a stadium, I'd love to see an aggression to poach an anchor office tenant from the suburbs. I see the likes of Seaboard hq'd in a dreary looking building in a quiet corner of Merriam off i35 and just think its a sad indictment of what the business community thinks of Downtown. Unfortunately if its as simple as a CEO being frightened off by crime or traffic, that alone can almost be enough to deter companies from taking the plunge. A growing aesthically pleasing skyline creates a perception than Downtown is healthy and a destination place to be.
Last edited by Rusty Irish on Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The thing I find so frustrating is I've seen new sidewalks being put in on blocks with no occupied houses, yet sidewalks in and around Downtown are still in bad shape and look terrible.