OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by KCPowercat »

Also I'm now in agreement with Grid that they should have two different buses for arrivals and departures. The mixing of passengers in the economy lot always annoyed me but I thought the new terminal may resolve that with less dropoff points at the terminal but it's still a not great experience. They should run one bus for just departures and drop them off at the upper level (plenty of space up there) and another bus for arrivals. It gives the depaturing passengers a quicker/nicer experience to be on the proper level and a competitive advantage for the city owned parking option, takes those passengers out of the walkways, and makes the experience of riding the shuttle buses either way a better experience to not mix the two.

I'm guessing it would take 15% more drivers but I don't even know, it would be quicker to load/unload if everybody is going the same direction so that may make up for the segmentation.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:55 pm Anybody have much experience with the surface lot behind the garage? since they aren't going to show up to date availability wondering how or if ever that lot is full? I typically uber but for some short trips I will sometimes drive and the economy lot/busing is better but it is still annoying me so thought I'd give the surface lot a chance.
I've started parking there last few trips. Always plenty of spots.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:59 pm Also I'm now in agreement with Grid that they should have two different buses for arrivals and departures. The mixing of passengers in the economy lot always annoyed me but I thought the new terminal may resolve that with less dropoff points at the terminal but it's still a not great experience. They should run one bus for just departures and drop them off at the upper level (plenty of space up there) and another bus for arrivals. It gives the depaturing passengers a quicker/nicer experience to be on the proper level and a competitive advantage for the city owned parking option, takes those passengers out of the walkways, and makes the experience of riding the shuttle buses either way a better experience to not mix the two.

I'm guessing it would take 15% more drivers but I don't even know, it would be quicker to load/unload if everybody is going the same direction so that may make up for the segmentation.
I don't think you need two totally different systems. That would likely be cost prohibitive.

First KCI needs full sized buses for parking buses. You want to keep low frequency, but it's just as important to have buses that work for this use with a lot of room for luggage so people are not piling luggage on top of each other and having to dig their luggage out if they are getting off before others. Larger buses just work much better for airport parking.

You can easily handle both arriving and departing passengers in the parking lots with single buses. But again they need to be larger buses.

Then the buses just need go to both levels at the terminal. Buses from the parking lots should go to the departures level and then come back to the Arrivals level to pick people up. They can pick up at Arrivals in the garage, but they should drop off departures at the curb. It would be so much more convenient. Same with the Rental car buses. This would also reduce the number of people crossing the street on the arrivals level which slows traffic flow there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah maybe but we have to deal with realities and the short buses are the assets we have and have bought even more of so that's why I think splitting them up and running them exclusively for arriving or departing is s a better improvement. I don't even think it would be a much larger cost, it's likely the same number of buses and drivers it's just splitting up their cargo.

Rental car seems to work fine as is. Big bus. One drop off either way versus the mixing of passengers at all the economy stops. Yes I agree dropping them off above would cut down on ped traffic but dealing with larger buses up in departures is going to eat up a lot more curb space
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yeah, I really don't have any complaints about rental car buses now. They work great. Departures curb drop off would be nice, but it's not necessary. The larger buses are nice though.

If KC has enough of the smaller buses to run separate routes to the parking lots that would be ideal. I have just never seen an airport do that. I know none of the ones in DC or NYC where I park and ride do. But with the smaller buses it might work. The problem would likely be labor. You would need more drivers and that's the most expensive part.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah definitely drivers is the limiting factor if it did take more buses.

Long term solution is definitely the new lot and apm
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kinda surprised we haven't heard an announcement about the new Escape lounge yet.
Sani
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Sani »

I saw the updated overhead signs on the drive to the terminal that they'd posted about. They haven't replaced the signs for the Paris Street or Bern Street exits yet, though. And there's still a large portion of one of the parking signs that's been taped over for over a year now.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They added new interior signs too leave the Southwest wing to point to baggage claim. Those were missing signs before.
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

Traveled through Newark terminal A on Monday. It's the same age as our terminal but a little smaller. You would think Newark had installed their carpet 10 years before KCI based on how stained and dirty it is. Lighter colors don't help either. They traded wider corridors for narrowing seating areas. Terminal A there is employees a mix of white and wood-colored ceilings and white walls. the white or light toned walls are a major upgrade over our dark marble tile walls.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Travel & Leisure readers rank the best US airports:

1. Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reader Score: 82.32

2. Rhode Island T. F. Green International Airport: Warwick, Rhode Island
Reader Score: 82.31

3. Palm Beach International Airport: West Palm Beach, Florida
Reader Score: 81.51

4. Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport: Savannah, Georgia
Reader Score: 79.86

5. Indianapolis International Airport: Indianapolis, Indiana
Reader Score: 79.68

6. Kansas City International Airport: Kansas City, Missouri
Reader Score: 79.63

7. Manchester-Boston Regional Airport: Manchester, New Hampshire
Reader Score: 79.44

8. Tampa International Airport: Tampa, Florida
Reader Score: 79.40

9. John Wayne Airport: Santa Ana, California
Reader Score: 77.24

10. Portland International Airport: Portland, Oregon
Reader Score: 77.18

http://www.travelandleisure.com/wba-202 ... ts-8659765
KC is the way to be!
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

This is a far more legitimate rating than the paid for one previous, so I’ll take it as good news
Sani
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Sani »

Wow, beating TPA and PDX! Nice.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Demolition begins for old KCI Airport terminals

Terminals B & C gone. Parking garages remain. I was hoping terminal C could be turned into something useful.

http://fox4kc.com/news/demolition-begin ... terminals/
KC is the way to be!