Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:32 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:13 pm The people I know involved in this have all become very secretive. The circle has gotten very small too.

They have learned.

As I’ve always said. Chiefs ain’t going anywhere. Arrowhead is something that’s impossible to replace.
I'm assuming Cordish would rather have EV, North Loop or WSP; than somewhere outside a mile from downtown. If EC is off the table.
I think at this point, they're under the mindset of whatever is best for the cities overall growth. Clearly closer to property they own is great and the Royals not building it's own entertainment area would be the preference as well. I think we have all the data we need to show that stadiums alone are not the drivers they're often made out to be in terms of speeding up or creating surrounding development.

I don't think EC is all the way off the table but I know they haven't determined a leading location option at this point either.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The fact they have not yet singled in on a location is ridiculous. How do they expect anyone to support them if they don’t know what they want?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I bet they have. They need to come out with a big bang plan with all the details laid out . Really wow the people with it versus that last plan of stumbling the plan out
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:00 am I bet they have. They need to come out with a big bang plan with all the details laid out . Really wow the people with it versus that last plan of stumbling the plan out
100%.

I’d say they’re definitely trying to take the more calculated approach instead of the faux listening session of last time.

Decide the site and iron out ALL or most of the plans, then present to the public, and answer any questions fully and with assurances.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:39 pm
shinatoo wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:32 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:13 pm The people I know involved in this have all become very secretive. The circle has gotten very small too.

They have learned.

As I’ve always said. Chiefs ain’t going anywhere. Arrowhead is something that’s impossible to replace.
I'm assuming Cordish would rather have EV, North Loop or WSP; than somewhere outside a mile from downtown. If EC is off the table.
I think at this point, they're under the mindset of whatever is best for the cities overall growth. Clearly closer to property they own is great and the Royals not building it's own entertainment area would be the preference as well. I think we have all the data we need to show that stadiums alone are not the drivers they're often made out to be in terms of speeding up or creating surrounding development.

I don't think EC is all the way off the table but I know they haven't determined a leading location option at this point either.
I'm hoping the EC is still on the table and being looked at the right way. I still say focus on the stadium only and minimizing the impact to the immediate area in the EC that would contain the footprint of the stadium itself. Then the Royals can look at developing other parcels that would be close to the area of the stadium and the stadium being a catalyst for development but not necessarily across the street so to speak. Look to develop residential, commercial/retail/entertainment, and office buildings in that surrounding area within say 4-5 blocks radius of the stadium. You can still achieve what you want in terms of those developments being revenue generators for the Royals and city can achieve the benefits of developing vacant lots or underdeveloped parcels that exist now within the area. This plan would work with the existing business owners on East side of Oak and points South & East into the Crossroads. Obviously those businesses on Grand would be impacted and need to be compensated and relocated if they desire to be relocated. But overall a plan like this provides real value adds to the existing businesses. 1 you build a stadium which is going to increase your business with 81 home games each year from End of March through the end of SEPT. Deeper through OCT if the team is in the playoffs. Plus any new residential that is built in the area & commercial is going to mean more people in the area who can visit your business. Not to mention the Royals full time year round jobs that are currently at the stadium now which would relocate downtown.

The idea & vision of the downtown stadium is sound and is a huge economic and cultural win for downtown and one that again will serve as major catalyst 2.0 to drive the future development of downtown further.
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Agreed. I like the same stadium spot they had for the EC. But perhaps for the residential/office/hotel buildup they should target more of the empty lots in the area instead of just putting them all on Oak.
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

“Mayor @QuintonLucasKC says on 95.7FM @KCMOTalkRadio, "The #Royals  will be playing in downtown Kansas City, Missouri by 2030 and the #Chiefs will be playing at Arrowhead stadium when our kids are going to games... I am willing to go to Kansas to place a bet on it."

https://x.com/petemundo/status/1811380267602354299?s=46

Governor Parson also said today he believes the Royals should be in downtown KC, but need to pick a site already.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:59 pm “Mayor @QuintonLucasKC says on 95.7FM @KCMOTalkRadio, "The #Royals  will be playing in downtown Kansas City, Missouri by 2030 and the #Chiefs will be playing at Arrowhead stadium when our kids are going to games... I am willing to go to Kansas to place a bet on it."

https://x.com/petemundo/status/1811380267602354299?s=46

Governor Parson also said today he believes the Royals should be in downtown KC, but need to pick a site already.
Good sound bite but long road to reality. Especially when 2 of the top 3 GOP candidates to replace Parsons as Gov have said they would oppose any state incentive package for the Chiefs and Royals.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This will get done prior to any new governor
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:58 pm This will get done prior to any new governor
Not per the current governor
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oh. Then I don't give what he is saying much weight.

Why is he over here talking a big game then if he doesn't think he will be delivering?
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Chris Stritzel »

He’s counting on Kehoe winning. I know Eigel says he’s against state help for the Chiefs and Royals. Not sure if Ashcroft was the other candidate to voice his disapproval.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:01 pm He’s counting on Kehoe winning. I know Eigel says he’s against state help for the Chiefs and Royals. Not sure if Ashcroft was the other candidate to voice his disapproval.
Yes - Ashcroft was the other
Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft, the leading Republican candidate for governor, said he is “opposed to providing taxpayer subsidies to keep sports teams.”

Instead, Ashcroft said, if elected he would focus on public safety, education and lowering taxes “so that Missouri will be a destination state for teams, their players and all economic freedom loving Americans.”
https://missouriindependent.com/2024/06 ... om-moving/
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Also need to consider that just because these candidates are saying “no money” right now doesn’t mean they’re actually gonna do that when elected…lol
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:26 pm Also need to consider that just because these candidates are saying “no money” right now doesn’t mean they’re actually gonna do that when elected…lol
I believe Eigel to be the only one who would actually try and do what he says he's going to do. He has a very Greitens-esque campaign style and attitude. Ashcroft would likely break if it came down to it.

This isn 't the thread for it, but Kehoe would be the best candidate of the Republican state to do some things for the cities in Missouri.

As for a Downtown Ballpark, I heard from a friend of mine that an entire reorientation of the East Village plan is formally underway. It's likely we will see something by the late season or just after the season ends.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Have you seen these ads from these three? is this really our only choices? Can't we maybe vote someone else in?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:10 pm Have you seen these ads from these three? is this really our only choices? Can't we maybe vote someone else in?
Yes, I have. Yes, they are. No, you can't. The Republican gubernatorial primary is a rare opportunity in Missouri for your vote to actually matter if you are a sane, moderate or liberal person in the KC metro. Act accordingly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chingon wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:00 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:10 pm Have you seen these ads from these three? is this really our only choices? Can't we maybe vote someone else in?
Yes, I have. Yes, they are. No, you can't. The Republican gubernatorial primary is a rare opportunity in Missouri for your vote to actually matter if you are a sane, moderate or liberal person in the KC metro. Act accordingly.
None of those 3 seem sane?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Is it because they're all Republicans? ;)

They all certainly hit every branch on the tumble down the ugly tree. Holy hell, from fat face doofus looking Parsons to one of these beauties.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:39 am Is it because they're all Republicans? ;)

They all certainly hit every branch on the tumble down the ugly tree. Holy hell, from fat face doofus looking Parsons to one of these beauties.
it's the not talking about actual missouri issues and blowing up things with guns in their ads for me. I can't even tell what "party" they are in except at the end when it's tagged. So weird.

Sorry for the aside.