Crossroads Townhomes (18th and Washington)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Crossroads Townhomes (18th and Washington)

Post by Chris Stritzel »

A series of 8 townhomes, designed by Slaggie Architects, has been proposed on a presently vacant parcel at the southeast corner of 18th and Washington in the Crossroads. Plans uploaded to Compass as part of a variance request to make Washington the front yard for the parcel instead of 18th. The design of the homes is modern with each unit including a garage accessed from the rear. Each townhouse, based on floor plans, will be 2 bedrooms, but it's hard to really tell.

It is unclear who the developer is. The parcel viewer shows the owner as 2100 Realty Company, which is/was based at 330 West 19th Terrace (which is now the construction site for Edison/Wonderland).

The drawings are dated June 4th, 2021 and the plans were uploaded to Compass on August 27th. The project is scheduled to go before the Board of Adjustment on October 12th.

Link to Compass KC: https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments

Renderings and Site Plan...

Site Currently...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Crossroads Townhomes (18th and Washington)

Post by DaveKCMO »

I wish them luck with the Westside.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Looks good. Tough spot to sell townhouses with 35 lurking over.
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This project has returned. It has grown to 9, 3-bedroom/3-bathroom townhomes with a garage in the basement and 3 extra spaces in a carport outside. HD Architects has replaced Slaggie as the architect. Tim Roth and Gregory Bair are the developers. August 21st, this project is set to go before the Planning Commission.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 5eb09176c5
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Love to see these popping up around downtown but man they pick some less than desirable sites next to interstates
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

great to see this have new life. Areas around there are primed for this kind of Row House Development. Even over to the Westside as well and adding more residential. Westside has a cool mix of single family and multi-family now with room to grow. But this is great news and hopefully will spur even more development on either side of Broadway in the Corssroads.

I guess my only grip is a kind of liked the previous renderings a little better. The design previously seemed a little more "homey" kind of a brownstone feel. I liked the set backs to create porches and or balconies. This just feels a little more stern, utilitarian to me. But that's just my opinion.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The people who pretend to care about affordable housing in this city, including those in government, should be working to create this type of development on every vacant parcel between the river and brush creek.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

chingon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:30 am The people who pretend to care about affordable housing in this city, including those in government, should be working to create this type of development on every vacant parcel between the river and brush creek.
100%
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Chris Stritzel »

chingon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:30 am The people who pretend to care about affordable housing in this city, including those in government, should be working to create this type of development on every vacant parcel between the river and brush creek.
I agree. Only thing I’d change is the design because these, and the ones at 19th and Locust, suck on the design front. But they’re nice infill. A good addition to the housing lineup considering how a majority of new things being proposed, and built, are rentals.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We for sure need more ownership options downtown and these are perfect for that. Need 50 more of them to pop up, I'd buy one not hugged up against i35
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:31 am
I agree. Only thing I’d change is the design because these, and the ones at 19th and Locust, suck on the design front. But they’re nice infill. A good addition to the housing lineup considering how a majority of new things being proposed, and built, are rentals.
glad I wasn't the only one who thought the design was a bit drab. Even what was showing before as renderings were better
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I'd trade all my design concerns (modern colonnades with balconies!) for volume. Most of these buildings won't last 50 years anyway.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If all new housing is only to last 50 years, we are doomed as a species.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Man, I have bad news for you, homie.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 6:05 am If all new housing is only to last 50 years, we are doomed as a species.
I don’t understand this. A lot of the housing built in the late 1800’s/early 1900s was wood and not meant to last 50 years either.

This will be higher build quality than those shacks.

Do you mean from a captured carbon perspective?
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:01 am
FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 6:05 am If all new housing is only to last 50 years, we are doomed as a species.
I don’t understand this. A lot of the housing built in the late 1800’s/early 1900s was wood and not meant to last 50 years either.

This will be higher build quality than those shacks.

Do you mean from a captured carbon perspective?
I’m with you on this one, the survivorship bias is that old Single Family Homes were built better, but most of the time the solidly built ones survived because of that fact. Most of the shanties and similar dwelling were demoed because of their shoddy quality
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Most homes built since the 1920s are of higher quality than 1880s shanties. KCMO is full of homes that are over 100 years old, and they are holding up well.

We can't afford housing that only lasts 50 years from a cost point, and on the carbon front either. Then there is the idle factor meaning that if houses are decrepit after 50 years, they are torn down and lots sit idle awaiting a replacement. We know that can mean decades. The county and city cannot afford infrastructure if too many parcels sit empty. We have a problem now with the older parts of the City but at least the housing has lasted 100 years. I can only imagine how bad it could get once all 300+ miles are developed and the housing stock in huge parts of what is now raw land is falling apart at 50 years.

You would be talking about a huge amount of land being slums at age 50. Keep in mind that much of Overland Park will be over 100 years old in 50 years, so it likely won't be the pristine leafy suburbs we think of now.

A final thing to consider is the landfill situation. We just had the State of Missouri intervene to stop a new landfill in the Metro area. Where are we going to be dumping all this housing rubble in such a future throwaway culture?