Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by langosta »

mgsports wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:16 pm Would a Portillos work on the Plaza or small Meijer.
Doesn’t feel like Portillo fits the current or new vibe
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

langosta wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:44 pm
mgsports wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:16 pm Would a Portillos work on the Plaza or small Meijer.
Doesn’t feel like Portillo fits the current or new vibe
Somebody has talk to them about opening here.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:38 pm Went to T’ähä last night and was pretty disappointed. My friends and I got tacos and a few of the sides which were all a tough combination of expensive + bland.

Hopefully they're just figuring things out and it'll get better. But after the liveliness of Jax + their great happy hour, this visit was deflating.
That's kind of disappointing. Not sure I'd frequent a high-end Mexican food restaurant unless there were rave reviews.
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The DGX convenience store in the Crossroads is always pretty great whenever I've used it. I don't understand why that on the Plaza would suddenly go to hell.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:18 pm The DGX convenience store in the Crossroads is always pretty great whenever I've used it. I don't understand why that on the Plaza would suddenly go to hell.
The average surrounding clientele is what they’d likely not want on the Plaza. DGX is convenient and well stocked, sure, but some of the folks in and around the store definitely aren’t what I’d call hospitable, especially the off peak hour crowd.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Yes! Portillos is the best! I agree the KC Market would go nuts for one. Maybe we need a Chicago based super star athlete to help us get a few stores here... LOL

I do agree they are great but doesn't seem to fit the vibe of what they are wanting to do with the Plaza. However there should be plenty of spots around town for locations. Obvioulsy high volume/traffic areas in the burbs would work. Maybe a spot over by KU MED, would work great for lunch crowds and dinner with the 39th Street area always bustling. P&L would work as well with the convention traffic/visitors. Not sure but get them here and people will come for sure :P
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I was in Chicago for a quick little vacation last week with my family. We stayed on Michigan Ave and journey out from there. We did need to hit a Target on the way to Navy Pier and there was an Urban Target along the way. Never been in one, but it was nice. Well staffed and worked for what we needed. It did have a small grocery, pretty much full pharmacy/beauty/health area, and then some other items. Plus it looked like you could order more products from Target.com and have them there for pickup. At any rate I think something like that would fit well to provide those basic needs. Plus target has a reputation of being the "upscale" general retail store if you will.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Trader Joe's does crazy numbers at Ward Parkway. Wouldn't it be possible to add another on the Plaza as well?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-date ... B37uv78yPg

New Plaza owners softening to re-opening a movie theater. The difference would be limited screens and a concept that would show films geared at adults rather than those targeting larger audiences. Obviously, they don't want to create gathering spots for teenagers; I think this would be a great addition.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:57 am https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-date ... B37uv78yPg

New Plaza owners softening to re-opening a movie theater. The difference would be limited screens and a concept that would show films geared at adults rather than those targeting larger audiences. Obviously, they don't want to create gathering spots for teenagers; I think this would be a great addition.
Do they make movies for adults anymore? Thought it was all Space, Comics, and Horror now.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Metro wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:37 am Trader Joe's does crazy numbers at Ward Parkway. Wouldn't it be possible to add another on the Plaza as well?
Possible, but unlikely given how close it is. And the current setup allows for easy parking and such. Not that Plaza Parking would be difficult just different. Not sure they want to give that up for the clientele that already is pretty much familiar with the store, has their set habits, etc.

Not a bad idea, but with them at Ward Parkway and Whole Foods over at UMKC, something more along the lines of an Urban Target might fit better, or another Bodega/Sundries type of shop.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:04 am
Highlander wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:57 am https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-date ... B37uv78yPg

Do they make movies for adults anymore? Thought it was all Space, Comics, and Horror now.
If I recall, they were one of the first theaters in the Metro to offer screening rooms with a full bar, and menu. Perhaps re-opening it but make it strictly 21 and over. Only have about 4-6 screening rooms, and only offer evening showings. Perhaps have ticket prices include an adult beverage and appetizer included. Make it a bit more exclusive in terms of what you offer. I know I prefer to find theaters with 21 and over screen rooms setup this way. Makes it nice to go out on date night when we want to leave our kids behind :lol:
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Metro wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:37 am Trader Joe's does crazy numbers at Ward Parkway. Wouldn't it be possible to add another on the Plaza as well?
This would be a nice add. There is one in downtown Philadelphia. We were parched and walking around and the local stores were charging very high prices for a bottle of water, we bought 2 bottles of cold water at Trader Joe's for less than a dollar. That made a huge difference to a couple of tourists who were sick of being gouged. I like Trader Joe's in general too, good food at generally a better price than other boutique grocers. It caters to those wanting prepared foods but its overall a pretty good deal and I suspect Plaza residents will enjoy having a local place to buy wine as well.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:04 am

They used to show these types of movies at the Tivoli in Westport. Perhaps that could be the audience they are after.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Seems like an opportunity for Alamo Drafthouse to re-enter the market.
DMNBT_RCJH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

smh wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:45 pm Seems like an opportunity for Alamo Drafthouse to re-enter the market.
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/alam ... 27457/amp/

Only a corporate owned one.
DMNBT_RCJH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:40 am
Possible, but unlikely given how close it is. And the current setup allows for easy parking and such. Not that Plaza Parking would be difficult just different. Not sure they want to give that up for the clientele that already is pretty much familiar with the store, has their set habits, etc.

Not a bad idea, but with them at Ward Parkway and Whole Foods over at UMKC, something more along the lines of an Urban Target might fit better, or another Bodega/Sundries type of shop.
I would not call ward parkway center “easy parking”
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A mall surrounded by surface lots isn't easy parking? Okay
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:27 pm A mall surrounded by surface lots isn't easy parking? Okay
The famously “not easy parking” being nearly empty at the time of satellite photo…

mjbauer95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mjbauer95 »

I'd definitely recommend listening to this interview with HP Village Management president, Ray Washburne. Covers a lot.

I really like the kind of outreach they're doing. He's very transparent and generally just sounds like the complete opposite of the usual tight lipped commercial property owner. He even took questions from the public! If you didn't know it, you might think he's a municipal official, not a private developer.

It made me think about how badly served we are by the average KC shopping center owner's myopic, short term profits view. So many good shopping centers in the area seem to penny pinch their way into decay & high vacancies over time. Every shopping center, from the dingiest strip mall to the Plaza, really is a community space and to pretend like the community doesn't matter will I think lose them money in the long run. I'm glad at least the new Plaza owners thinks this way. Maybe if they succeed other shopping centers will find they have deeper pockets for long term investments & community engagement.