Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Metro wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:08 am That's funny coming from you I've seen what you look like you can tell you definitely don't get out much. It not a pessimistic view it's a realistic view. The leadership in this city sucks how is that even debatable?
Lol. I guess walking at least 10 miles per day, hanging around with friends every weekend, and spending time talking with people in the neighborhoods I walk through every time I’m out isn’t “getting out that much”. I have the honor of seeing the city as an outsider and a resident, seeing the city on foot and in a car. That gives me a unique perspective on the city I call home. I see the good and bad here, but you only seem to believe what you wish with no willingness to learn or change. Your criticisms of me are sustaining and give me energy, but I’m sure users of this forum would prefer we move on. As a few on here know, I’m the say way in person that I am behind the keyboard. Interact with me at your own risk.

I’m focused on pushing for a better City and that means pushing through the low periods of time when leadership is lacking, but they haven’t been on this stadium effort. But if you want to believe what you don’t know, please continue to embarrass yourself. Until you have something of actual proof to show us that the City has failed, you have nothing.

As far as any further interactions with you go, it’s finished on this platform. You bring nothing of substance to the table and aren’t worth my time.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Metro wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:08 am That's funny coming from you I've seen what you look like you can tell you definitely don't get out much. It not a pessimistic view it's a realistic view. The leadership in this city sucks how is that even debatable?
personal attacks/insults need to stop - next step is probably a suspension. thx.
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Just listened to Mayor Q on 610 radio. He says he feels the Royals still wanna be downtown, and he’s banking on the fact that Arrowhead is too iconic for the Chiefs to leave as the reason they’ll stay in KC. He also says they’ve talked to both teams. He says one hurdle is that the county owns the current stadiums, but they’re trying to work through that.

He also wouldn’t give any details on if the preferred downtown location for the Royals has changed.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

At least KCMO has a mayor that seems to be trying right now. Things could be worse.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Trying to figure this out. The Royals say they need to be downtown but seem to be receptive to the idea of moving to Kansas, likely by Village West. If moving to VW wouldn't that be like a western version of TSC?
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

I really don't see them doing VW if they went to Kansas. I think they would be squeezed out there with the amount of other attractions, especially should the Chiefs end up out there and Johnson County just has better demographics. I think there would be more appetite from the Brookridge, Bluhawk, Lenexa City Center type developments to try and get the Royals in and they would also prefer being an anchor at one of these sites. Of Course Downtown KCMO is far better than anywhere in Kansas.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Wichita could offer the Royals a bunch of money right now and the Royals would say, "We're entertaining the offer".

They want to be downtown, but distract while making moves in the background to get what you really want.
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

They have to say they're entertaining Kansas so they can get leverage. Hopefully in talks with KCMO. That's my read.

It's also my read though that the Chiefs would seriously bail for Kansas. I don't think Royals will yet.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:34 am Trying to figure this out. The Royals say they need to be downtown but seem to be receptive to the idea of moving to Kansas, likely by Village West. If moving to VW wouldn't that be like a western version of TSC?
It would be a somewhat better fan experience than TSC but you are actually right, not sure how this would make money for the Royals. The whole idea of going downtown was so that Sherman could benefit from synergy driven development and the large population within walking distance from the stadium and public transportation access. Going to an area where development already exists would be great in terms of creating a critical mass but does nothing for the Royals in terms of generating income, unless of course they think they could attract larger crowds out there which might be true.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I thought Sherman was a "KC" guy? Anybody that is truly a pro KC would never move the Royals to the KS side. Ever. That would be detrimental to the city.

I can see him entertaining all options for the sake of better leverage, but if I were Sherman, I would not move the Royals to KS even if the state gave me a 100% free stadium. I really think Sherman fits the same mold. Or I sure hope so. I know he will lose at least as many fans as he gains if it moves to KS.

The location of Chiefs stadiums matters much less, but it would still be a blow to KCMO. I can see the Chiefs moving though. I don't think Lamar Hunt would have ever moved to KS, but I can see Clark doing it.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

KCK Mayor Garner saying downtown KCK good place for ballpark overlooking skyline and Missouri/Kaw confluence.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

moderne wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:01 am KCK Mayor Garner saying downtown KCK good place for ballpark overlooking skyline and Missouri/Kaw confluence.
I have never thought the view of KCMO from KCK was all that great. That angle of downtown makes downtown look about the size of Omaha or something.

But if the team did move to KS, this would be the only place that I might be okay with and even then, I probably wouldn't. The belong in downtown KCMO.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

guys, the PAC. Knock it down, it has the best background views and that's the only thing that matters!
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Downtown KCK would tank any chance at removal of the North loop, which is, in my opinion, far more important than any stadium location.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I've asked a few times, but Who owns the 'Arrowhead' name? If they do move to Kansas, I could see them trying to play it as 'THE NEW ARROWHEAD!!' and trying to sell the public that this is progress. To me, this would be a totally different team. Sure, Mahomes would be throwing the ball, but a dome is not Arrowhead and part of my love for the team would die if it moved to Village West. The city or Jackson County need to lock down the Arrowhead name. It shouldn't cross the state line with a team and, realizing that they might lose that name might make the Chiefs give a second thought about loading up the trucks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC_Ari wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:44 am Downtown KCK would tank any chance at removal of the North loop, which is, in my opinion, far more important than any stadium location.
Data wise it shouldn't but yeah sentiment/perspective wise it would kill it.

I would love something great happening to downtown KCK but I don't think Kauffman2 is it.
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Ok but let's be real here...Kansas ain't walking away with both teams.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

No, Kansas would be running away with both teams. Yes, some say the Royals are using this as leverage but I don't think the state of Missouri is willing to cough up the dough to keep the team in the state. Of course maybe there is a way to make it happen financially if the state allows sports betting.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:53 pm No, Kansas would be running away with both teams. Yes, some say the Royals are using this as leverage but I don't think the state of Missouri is willing to cough up the dough to keep the team in the state. Of course maybe there is a way to make it happen financially if the state allows sports betting.
It's pretty simple AKP. The Royals want (need) to generate more revenues to fund the higher payrolls that will deliver better teams to KC. They know they cannot do that at TSC. They think they can do it downtown. Kansas doesn't offer a downtown venue (and please don't say KCK) that will generate the needed revenue (KS may ultimately be better than TSC but it's still not optimal). I don't see moving to Kansas as an investment in the Royals for the long term. It's eventually going to be downtown or bust (aka other metro).
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:25 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:53 pm No, Kansas would be running away with both teams. Yes, some say the Royals are using this as leverage but I don't think the state of Missouri is willing to cough up the dough to keep the team in the state. Of course maybe there is a way to make it happen financially if the state allows sports betting.
It's pretty simple AKP. The Royals want (need) to generate more revenues to fund the higher payrolls that will deliver better teams to KC. They know they cannot do that at TSC. They think they can do it downtown. Kansas doesn't offer a downtown venue (and please don't say KCK) that will generate the needed revenue (KS may ultimately be better than TSC but it's still not optimal). I don't see moving to Kansas as an investment in the Royals for the long term. It's eventually going to be downtown or bust (aka other metro).
I generally agree with you regarding a KS stadium.

But I can see a stadium in Lenexa City Center if they gifted them a stadium and office complex. There is a population base close by along with some restaurants and bars.

I personally think it would be a bad investment on Kansas/JoCo/Lenexa's part, but politicians become idiots when sports teams are involved.