Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Imarealperson »

Poor logic. Of course, today, there are a higher percentage of season ticket holders by those who live closer to the stadium.

Are you under the impression that nobody West of 71 HWY will buy season tickets for a KS stadium?

Plus, a Legends stadium would be closer to Platte Co (highest % population growth in the metro, followed by Clay and Johnson Co) than the present location.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Imarealperson wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:19 am Poor logic. Of course, today, there are a higher percentage of season ticket holders by those who live closer to the stadium.

Are you under the impression that nobody West of 71 HWY will buy season tickets for a KS stadium?

Plus, a Legends stadium would be closer to Platte Co (highest % population growth in the metro, followed by Clay and Johnson Co) than the present location.
Funny how when you have a small population the percentage of growth is higher. Platt county only has 110,00 people. Jackson has 716K. So each % point in Jackson is worth 7x each percentage in Platte. I terms of actual people. In the 2020 census Jax added 43k Platte added 17.3k
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

This tweet sure reads like Mayor Lucas is throwing in the towel...

Everything about the sales tax extension vote in Jackson County has me very despondent about the future of the urban core. It's a multi-generational opportunity lost, and the teams are going to end up in the burbs. What a waste.

1. The Royals did a terrible job selling downtown
2. Jackson County leadership played themselves
3. Downtown listened to the Sue Burkes and saved 6 mostly destitute blocks under the guise of "Saving the Crossroads!"

Well done. It's an all-around regional failure, that will have long-lasting consequences.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sure feels like there about a 95% probability that there will never be baseball in the urban core of Kansas City in my lifetime.

KCDowntown
Last edited by KCDowntown on Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCDowntown wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:42 am This tweet sure reads like Mayor Lucas is throwing in the towel...

Everything about the sales tax extension vote in Jackson County has me very despondent about the future of the urban core. It's a multi-generational opportunity lost, and the teams are going to end up in the burbs. What a waste.

3. Downtown listened to the Sue Burkes and saved 6 mostly destitute blocks under the guise of "Saving the Crossroads!"

Well done. It's an all-around regional failure, that will have long-lasting consequences.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sure feels like there about a 95% probability that I'll there will never baseball in the urban core of Kansas City in my lifetime.

KCDowntown
Ehh later in his thread he still talks about downtown baseball.
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

He says later that he's still working to bring them to KC. Also I just fundamentally don't think the Royals will want to go to Kansas.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The mayor is frustrated I'm sure, but he also needs to say stuff like this to put some fear into people like KCP who are not taking the threat of them moving to KS very seriously.

I don't think Sherman wants to move to KS.

But if they offered a free stadium in a "The Battery" type suburban development in a location in Overland Park (Royals would not survive at the Legends), then the Royals are very likely to take the deal if a project in KCMO is not competitive enough or does not materialize in a timely fashion.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:40 am
Imarealperson wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:19 am Poor logic. Of course, today, there are a higher percentage of season ticket holders by those who live closer to the stadium.

Funny how when you have a small population the percentage of growth is higher. Platt county only has 110,00 people. Jackson has 716K. So each % point in Jackson is worth 7x each percentage in Platte. I terms of actual people. In the 2020 census Jax added 43k Platte added 17.3k
True, but JoCo is also at nearly double the rate of JaxCo, and with a closer total population.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCDowntown wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:42 am This tweet sure reads like Mayor Lucas is throwing in the towel...

I hope I'm wrong, but it sure feels like there about a 95% probability that there will never be baseball in the urban core of Kansas City in my lifetime.

KCDowntown
It may surpass Cerner's misadventure in SE KC as the biggest missed opportunity in KC history. As a newcomer to the area after growing up here and spending a career elsewhere, I was extremely disappointed by Jackson County to a downtown stadium. I thought KC had turned a corner and had a metro that was beginning to appreciate the importance of a strong urban core and downtown. That's clearly not the case. What the hell did I come back to? Additionally, save the crossroads was a successful misinformation strategy that the opposition used to convince those inside the city to vote no. The whole thing was so poorly done by the Royals and the Chiefs and the city.
GRID wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:33 pm The mayor is frustrated I'm sure, but he also needs to say stuff like this to put some fear into people like KCP who are not taking the threat of them moving to KS very seriously.

I don't think Sherman wants to move to KS.

But if they offered a free stadium in a "The Battery" type suburban development in a location in Overland Park (Royals would not survive at the Legends), then the Royals are very likely to take the deal if a project in KCMO is not competitive enough or does not materialize in a timely fashion.
I don't get why the Royals would want to go to Kansas. Sherman has essentially stated all along that a downtown location was the missing ingredient in making the Royals both profitable AND a contender. Kansas would offer just another suburban location. It doesn't really provide much else but I guess a suburban location among a higher income population in Kansas (if OP is the ultimate location that the Royals have in mind) would still generate more income than TSC and allow for more subsidiary development. I can see the benefit of the Chiefs moving to somewhere like the Legends but not sure if there is a reason for the Royals to seek out any place other than downtown.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Royals moving to Kansas and Chirs Strizels parents will buy him a lot in Chicago. Win/Win
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Metro wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:44 pm Royals moving to Kansas and Chirs Strizels parents will buy him a lot in Chicago. Win/Win
If you're going to come out of no where and hit me for no reason, at least spell my name right: Chris Stritzel.

P.S.: Like the Royals, I'm not going anywhere (especially Chicago). Cry harder, or continue blabbering random BS like you do all over this forum.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:29 pm
Metro wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:44 pm Royals moving to Kansas and Chirs Strizels parents will buy him a lot in Chicago. Win/Win
If you're going to come out of no where and hit me for no reason, at least spell my name right: Chris Stritzel.

P.S.: Like the Royals, I'm not going anywhere (especially Chicago). Cry harder, or continue blabbering random BS like you do all over this forum.
Your name isn't important enough to spell. How about all those local "leaders" you stan for? Bang up job on losing both teams to Kansas.
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Metro wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:11 pm

Your name isn't important enough to spell. How about all those local "leaders" you stan for? Bang up job on losing both teams to Kansas.
But it’s important enough for you to invoke at a time when it wasn’t necessary. Says a lot about you.

And until the teams announce they’re moving to Kansas, nothing is final. It’s negotiations to the highest degree. Instead of being a pessimist all the time about this city, go out and touch grass. If that’s too much for you, leave since you don’t provide much of value.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Jesus, what the fuck is with you and personal attacks for literally no reason, completely unprompted?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:42 pm As a newcomer to the area after growing up here and spending a career elsewhere, I was extremely disappointed by Jackson County to a downtown stadium. I thought KC had turned a corner and had a metro that was beginning to appreciate the importance of a strong urban core and downtown. That's clearly not the case. What the hell did I come back to? Additionally, save the crossroads was a successful misinformation strategy that the opposition used to convince those inside the city to vote no. The whole thing was so poorly done by the Royals and the Chiefs and the city.
Not that it matters as an anonymous person on a niche internet message board, but this is pretty close to how I feel too.

From the outside a couple years ago it seemed like there was a lot of positive momentum in Kc. Now it seems stalled
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:30 pm
Highlander wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:42 pm As a newcomer to the area after growing up here and spending a career elsewhere, I was extremely disappointed by Jackson County to a downtown stadium. I thought KC had turned a corner and had a metro that was beginning to appreciate the importance of a strong urban core and downtown. That's clearly not the case. What the hell did I come back to? Additionally, save the crossroads was a successful misinformation strategy that the opposition used to convince those inside the city to vote no. The whole thing was so poorly done by the Royals and the Chiefs and the city.
Not that it matters as an anonymous person on a niche internet message board, but this is pretty close to how I feel too.

From the outside a couple years ago it seemed like there was a lot of positive momentum in Kc. Now it seems stalled
Same thing happened after the P&L District and Sprint Center was built. The city went nuts and anti anything development and even elected somebody that made sure nothing was built in the city for four years.

KC is an odd place that tends to take as many steps back as it does forward. Just enough to get you interested and then the city slowly shows its real self again. Then in 5-10 years, it will happen again.

I'm holding out hope that KC will get the stadiums done right, but I would not be surprised one bit if it goes 180 degrees the other direction.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What does this even mean? I guess I don't follow the drama around here much.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

GRID wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:43 pm The city went nuts and anti anything development and even elected somebody that made sure nothing was built in the city for four years.
Here's that "elected somebody" chiming in on Mayor Q's post earlier today...

KCDowntown
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I felt like this article from Jonathan Ketz (Fox 4) was noteworthy to share:

“The Chiefs have openly stated they’re looking at all offers, and so, we’re focusing on them,” Sean said in an interview with FOX4 Wednesday, June 5. “The Royals are continuing, from what I understand, they’re continuing to work with the city, since Frank White can’t figure it out.”"

https://fox4kc.com/news/former-jackson- ... situation/

So it sounds like, perhaps behind the scenes, they're talking with KCMO and not Kansas or the county. This was from a Kansas rep saying this.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:15 pm
Metro wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:11 pm

But it’s important enough for you to invoke at a time when it wasn’t necessary. Says a lot about you.

And until the teams announce they’re moving to Kansas, nothing is final. It’s negotiations to the highest degree. Instead of being a pessimist all the time about this city, go out and touch grass. If that’s too much for you, leave since you don’t provide much of value.
That's funny coming from you I've seen what you look like you can tell you definitely don't get out much. It not a pessimistic view it's a realistic view. The leadership in this city sucks how is that even debatable?
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

GRID wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:56 pm
What does this even mean? I guess I don't follow the drama around here much.
Chris told me he was sure the Royals were moving downtown and I would be upset and leave KC lol.

Here's the thing: I'm not anti downtown ballpark or anti development but I am realistic. We won't get much development done with this current council. We need to elect actual leadership and not some virtual signaling dweebs which is what we currently have.