1112 - 1120 Grand Parking Garage

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

1112 - 1120 Grand Parking Garage

Post by im2kull »

1112 - 1120 Grand looks like it could come crashing down at any moment. This garage is 13 stories above grade, 2 below, 500+ spots, has ground floor retail, and super dense surroundings. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen. Does anyone know anything about this structure or its status?

I can see 311 reports regarding its dilapidated condition. I took a look inside from the Daiquiri shop and there's no shortage of issues in this garage. Crushing, spalling, corrosion, saltwater infiltration, double tee's that have massive chunks missing, exposed rebar, exposed 120v wiring, etc. You can actually see daylight in some areas. Apparently the garage was closed in 1982, just 8 years after being opened, due to severe corrosion. How it reopened I have no idea, but it's in terrible shape. I was told the city threatened to close it a few years ago, but it sounds like the pandemic interrupted that process? Does anyone know if the city is aware of this garage's current condition and whether or not they're doing anything about it?

Look at this support column. If you view it up close in person (It's publicly accessible at the entry) someone literally took a rotary hammer and whittled away half the column to make more room for cars to leave the garage without rubbing into it. :shock:

Here's a few more photos of this place:

From 1982, just 8 years after being opened.

https://imgur.com/a/1112-1120-grand-kansas-city-ktq4xvm
Last edited by im2kull on Sun May 26, 2024 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: 1112 - 1120 Grand Parking Garage

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If you think this is going to collapse and kill people, you need to report it somewhere besides an internet forum
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:01 pm If you think this is going to collapse and kill people, you need to report it somewhere besides an internet forum
Obviously that has already been done. This city is beyond dysfunctional.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just ignore this guy at this point
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:28 am Just ignore this guy at this point
Why?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:26 am
Why?
Because you only post to create fake alarm without any knowledge of the situation. It's been shown topic after topic.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:50 am
Why?
Because you only post to create fake alarm without any knowledge of the situation. It's been shown topic after topic.
That is absolutely not true. Are you saying these photos are false? Are you saying any of the prior information I have shared is false? I have intimate knowledge of everything I share and have literally included sensitive email chains with city official conversations substantiating my posts. You crying misinformation in the face of overwhelming fact is getting very old, very fast.

The only logical explanation is that you are an owner at Wallstreet Tower who is deathly afraid of the hit your property value will take once the outside world knows these problems exist. It's sad you would rather be part of the problem than the solution. I noticed you locked the Wallstreet Tower thread after its 20 year run because you couldn't handle multiple people freely sharing and discussing the building's problems within that thread. It's shameful you censored that conversation.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

im2kull wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:43 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:01 pm If you think this is going to collapse and kill people, you need to report it somewhere besides an internet forum
Obviously that has already been done. This city is beyond dysfunctional.
looks like it was reported to the neighborhoods dept back in 2021 and they closed it, no idea why... I will make sure the correct dept is aware of these issues tomorrow (planning & dev regulates parking garages and the ordinance that regulates them was actually updated after the condo collapse in Florida)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:21 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:50 am

Why?
That is absolutely not true. Are you saying these photos are false? Are you saying any of the prior information I have shared is false? I have intimate knowledge of everything I share and have literally included sensitive email chains with city official conversations substantiating my posts. You crying misinformation in the face of overwhelming fact is getting very old, very fast.

The only logical explanation is that you are an owner at Wallstreet Tower who is deathly afraid of the hit your property value will take once the outside world knows these problems exist. It's sad you would rather be part of the problem than the solution. I noticed you locked the Wallstreet Tower thread after its 20 year run because you couldn't handle multiple people freely sharing and discussing the building's problems within that thread. It's shameful you censored that conversation.
I don't lock threads but I wish I had in this case. Go through your HOA / city hall, this alarmist posting isn't doing anything productive. I'd just just move honestly if living in the city bothers you this much.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Looks like the city is finally doing something, now that they are being bothered by more than one person. Several upcoming inspections, including one that was supposedly happening today. Rumored that a shut down is imminent.