GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by shinatoo »

Imarealperson wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:22 pm I think we’re overthinking this. Reason #1 is low number of season ticket sales. It’s hard to get 25k walk up each night anywhere
Correct.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

I've really enjoyed following the team since moving here and feel connected, another strong win tonight in Tampa. Cheap tickets, likeable ownership and they're good too. Standout offensive players, solid pitching. Whereas the Chiefs feel exclusively like a TV show to me since I'm poor just now and the celebrity image of the team.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Imarealperson wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:22 pm I think we’re overthinking this. Reason #1 is low number of season ticket sales. It’s hard to get 25k walk up each night anywhere
Fair
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Watching the games with the Twins in Minneapolis and there is nobody there. They have announced attendance of 18k, but it cant' be half that actually there. So they obviously have a much larger season ticket base.

The Royals probably have the lowest season ticket base in MLB outside of Oakland and Miami.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

30,006 tonight
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I don't understand why this team is sticking with what could possibly be the worst bullpen in baseball, along with a historically bad outfield hitting wise. If we don't change those two things we will go nowhere in our great start will be for nothing. What do we already have, eight blown saves now? Before June 1st.........
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The K sounded full on the radio tonight.

We came back after having our ass handed to us in the first inning. Mariners blew an 8-0 lead as the Royals to come back to win 10-9.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:27 pm The K sounded full on the radio tonight.

We came back after having our ass handed to us in the first inning. Mariners blew an 8-0 lead as the Royals to come back to win 10-9.
Checking in after going down 7 in the bottom of the first was wild. I could hardly believe that scoreline after 20 minutes, or the finisher.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:27 pm The K sounded full on the radio tonight.

25,178. Those who stayed saw a historic game. First comeback from a 7-run deficit in the first inning by any MLB team since 1995. And most of them stayed, because fireworks.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:00 am

25,178. Those who stayed saw a historic game. First comeback from a 7-run deficit in the first inning by any MLB team since 1995. And most of them stayed, because fireworks.
I was there - it was incredible. 2014, 2015 vibes

Honestly, I was surprised at how many people stayed the whole game. Felt like (and sounded like!) a majority.

Also it was KState night there so a pretty young demographic
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

1/2 empty
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

langosta wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:44 am

1/2 empty
Not half empty. The K can hold 37,903. It was 66.4% full last night. Not ideal, but not half empty. More like 1/3.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Using corporate tickets for the game today, hopefully KC shows up!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC_Ari wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:46 pm hopefully KC shows up!
They didn't.

Royals drew an embarrassing 18k This Saturday and 25k last Saturday. Even Tampa outdrew the Royals by 3k today. Saturday is typically the highest day for MLB attendance. The only reason they drew 30k last Friday was because it was the big slick game which probably should have sold out.

After being around Nats park all weekend, I am convinced now more than ever that the location of the stadium is the biggest problem. I swear the average age of a fan at Nats games is 20 years younger than KC games. If KC could draw more than the suburban/rural families that only show up on Fridays and Saturdays and what's left of the legacy boomer MLB fan demographic, their attendance would be more in line with MLB average.

Here is the attendance for every other team in the league on their most recent Saturday game (Oakland doesn't count right now). Only a few of these teams have a better record than the Royals.

Cincy 40k
Pittsburgh 30k
DC 34k
Tampa 21k (Tampa has notorious attendance problems for known reasons, mainly the dome and the location of the dome far from the metro population)
White Sox 26k
Detroit 32k
St Louis 35k
Angles 37k
Miami 16k (Miami will never draw the younger demographic in large numbers, they would rather be at places like Miami Beach)
San Diego 43k
Houston 34k
Yankees 48k
Boston 35k
Baltimore 37k
Atlanta 41k
Toronto 37k
Cleveland 38k
Mets 31k
Milwaukee 36k
Cubs 36k
Seattle 40k
Philly 45k
SF 35k
Dodgers 50k
Minneapolis 31k
Arizona 32k
Denver 38k
Texas 35k
KC 18k

If I were owner the the Royals and just spent almost 300 million on Bobby Witt Jr and getting very little ROI, I would be looking at all my options and be wondering if KC is still a sustainable MLB market.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

It felt pretty damn empty and disappointing for a summer weekend. In my opinion, the access to the games broadcast is part of this. But:

It felt terrible for me and those who I brought with that rarely (if ever) are able to go to a game. We traveled through non-descript industrial parks once exiting I-70 to the point where those whom I was bringing to the game didn't even know they were close to the stadiums. (This was coming from the quickest route via Google from downtown, even one of the people I brought with mentioned the east village stadium site.)

I've journeyed more from the south than the north to Royals games and it was straight up depressing coming from downtown.

Most of the attendees to the game seemed to be in the 30-40 demographic.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Jesus Grid.

Attendance IS trending upwards.

More importantly though, the real boost typically comes in the seasons following an unexpected winning season. It's not just about immediate numbers - it's about forming new habits as more fans hop on the bandwagon and attend multiple games. Winning seasons do impact attendance and this effect can last for years, ESPECIALLY thanks to the significant investments in the roster. It just takes time. Thankfully Sherman is more patient with this stuff than you.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC_Ari wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:27 am It felt pretty damn empty and disappointing for a summer weekend. In my opinion, the access to the games broadcast is part of this. But:

It felt terrible for me and those who I brought with that rarely (if ever) are able to go to a game. We traveled through non-descript industrial parks once exiting I-70 to the point where those whom I was bringing to the game didn't even know they were close to the stadiums. (This was coming from the quickest route via Google from downtown, even one of the people I brought with mentioned the east village stadium site.)

I've journeyed more from the south than the north to Royals games and it was straight up depressing coming from downtown.

Most of the attendees to the game seemed to be in the 30-40 demographic.
Yeah, almost every route to the stadiums is embarrassing honestly. US-40, Raytown Road, Leeds, Blue Ridge etc. All just make KC look like a really shitty town.

When you say the average age is 30-40, are you talking about those with kids or those there without kids? I just don't see a lot of younger people under 30 or even 40 at Royals games without kids. I know for sure DC games draw way more of the 20's-30's and even 40's without kids. Actually you really don't even see near as many kids at Nats games except on Sundays which is a day dedicated to families and kids. There are a lot, but it's not like Royals games. I think the Royals depend way too much on that demographic alone (families with kids). I think it's great to appeal to that demographic, but you have to appeal to others as well and I think a downtown stadium would drastically improve that.
Last edited by GRID on Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

That said, the location is tough. I was with friends from out of state and the entire drive to the K they were talking about how much better a downtown stadium would be
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Sorry you had a bad time. Sounds like you where counting on just the baseball stadium for intertainment,no after game dinner or drinks. How long did the drive from downtown take?
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!