Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by grovester »

My 2 cents just to prove I want downtown baseball.

How do you flip the Save the K folks?
-Not possible, just need to reiterate forcefully that under no circumstances will they play after 2030.

How do you flip the Save the Crossroads folks?
-First need an official account of why the EV is not an option. Need receipts. Statements from GSA, MODOT, whoever stating that it is IMPOSSIBLE,
not just less desirable or more work.
-Relocate any business that desires it to a "new" East Crossroads, either existing buildings or new, maybe the West side of 71 or if still too close then ---between 71 and Paseo, build a new neighborhood away from the stadium. Relocation costs and some free rent.
-Stadium stays east of Oak

How do you flip the No taxes folks?
-Link the P&L bond payments directly with the project to show explicit financial gains.

Are there enough None of the Above folks?
Could you boost turnout enough?
-The Royals were at their best in the very beginning, when they talked about the vision thing which was best represented for the 18th/Vine site and collaborating with the academy. They need to get back to that some way, make it about building and not destroying, wherever the site ends up. Pay for the cap or something. When they pivoted to EC, it looked like a cash grab/cordish play, turned people off who either voted no or didn't vote.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Crossroads making big strides in planting street trees: https://www.instagram.com/p/C7R8KJ7uczn/

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm happy this is finally being done. I wish it could have started in 2011 when the "Make Grand Grand" proposal was made.

Thirteen years of tree growth would have greatly improved Grand's look and softened the hardscape of other parts of the Crossroads.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I don't want to let the perfect be the enemy of the good but I wish these trees were being installed in bulb outs (maybe some are?) instead of removing already scant pedestrian space. The photo outside the Brick is a good example. The remaining sidewalk is essentially the ADA minimum--not a width that supports a particularly comfortable walk. On the other hand, the tree, once grown, will provide shade so don't want to dismiss it entirely. But the street itself is so wide, why not take a little bit of street space for a nice tree and a generous sidewalk?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We are obsessed with narrow sidewalks you know this. Any road diet never comes with more width, just bollards.

The ones on 18th are in new bumpouts to be fair
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

smh wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:09 am I don't want to let the perfect be the enemy of the good but I wish these trees were being installed in bulb outs (maybe some are?) instead of removing already scant pedestrian space. The photo outside the Brick is a good example. The remaining sidewalk is essentially the ADA minimum--not a width that supports a particularly comfortable walk. On the other hand, the tree, once grown, will provide shade so don't want to dismiss it entirely. But the street itself is so wide, why not take a little bit of street space for a nice tree and a generous sidewalk?
This program is run by a few volunteers. We have started to see some scant funding come through from the city, but it's still a pretty boot strapped project when you consider the significant costs associated with creating wells, planting, and maintenance. I wish the city would take some of this on, but they clearly don't have the capacity. The program started with filling existing tree wells, and green spaces. In this last planting we got spire to cut the tree wells and excavate for us pro bono. They will be cutting an additional 100+ over the summer for us to plant in the fall.

We would love, and plan to start creating bump outs for trees. A couple of headwinds: neighbors/businesses not wanting to give up street parking :evil: , and cost (probably 5-10x). In the meantime, we are targeting the widest sidewalks we can find (Casual animal really wanted that tree there FYI). Also, we are purposely not targeting the main streets ie Grand, which will hopefully be the benefit of "grander" and more comprehensive streetscape projects. Work in progress...
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

UMKCroo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:31 am
smh wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:09 am I don't want to let the perfect be the enemy of the good but I wish these trees were being installed in bulb outs (maybe some are?) instead of removing already scant pedestrian space. The photo outside the Brick is a good example. The remaining sidewalk is essentially the ADA minimum--not a width that supports a particularly comfortable walk. On the other hand, the tree, once grown, will provide shade so don't want to dismiss it entirely. But the street itself is so wide, why not take a little bit of street space for a nice tree and a generous sidewalk?
This program is run by a few volunteers. We have started to see some scant funding come through from the city, but it's still a pretty boot strapped project when you consider the significant costs associated with creating wells, planting, and maintenance. I wish the city would take some of this on, but they clearly don't have the capacity. The program started with filling existing tree wells, and green spaces. In this last planting we got spire to cut the tree wells and excavate for us pro bono. They will be cutting an additional 100+ over the summer for us to plant in the fall.

We would love, and plan to start creating bump outs for trees. A couple of headwinds: neighbors/businesses not wanting to give up street parking :evil: , and cost (probably 5-10x). In the meantime, we are targeting the widest sidewalks we can find (Casual animal really wanted that tree there FYI). Also, we are purposely not targeting the main streets ie Grand, which will hopefully be the benefit of "grander" and more comprehensive streetscape projects. Work in progress...
You all rock.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

UMKCroo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:31 am

This is great background, and good to know. I definitely appreciate that is happening despite some occasional quibble with implementation. Appreciate the work!
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Thanks! It's been far from perfect, and we have definitely had to learn some lessons the hard way, but at some point you just have to start getting trees planted. We have built a lot of good relationships and partnerships along the way, combined with some new sources of funding, we should be able to keep expanding/improving. Unfortunately, this is one of those efforts that doesn't really give you instant gratification. Check out 19th st between central and baltimore, though, great example of how even small/young trees without a lot of canopy can change the "feel."
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Will this eventually be funded by the cid?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Is the Heartland Tree Alliance/Bridging The Gap affiliated with this effort?
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:05 pm Will this eventually be funded by the cid?
Managed by CID yes. Some funding as well, but will still have to go after grants.
Cratedigger wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:46 pm Is the Heartland Tree Alliance/Bridging The Gap affiliated with this effort?
Yes, installing and watering.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKCroo wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:19 am
Cratedigger wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:46 pm Is the Heartland Tree Alliance/Bridging The Gap affiliated with this effort?
Yes, installing and watering.
Great! Sounds like a fantastic effort checking the right boxes. Thanks for the work you’re doing
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Thanks to the volunteers who have made this effort.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

SCD building/lot (1710 Walnut) for sale - $1.95M. https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1710-Wa ... /31918358/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Triple shooting occurred last night. 1 dead. Police were called the Truman and Grand.

Prime needs to be shut down. Also shut down that Sinclair at 16th and Grand. Those two things would clean up that area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah Prime needs to be shut down immediately
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

How about a MLB baseball stadium taking the place of Prime :)

Turn Sinclair into a parking garage for said MLB stadium