Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
smh
Supporter

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by smh »

bobthebiker wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:30 am Had a meeting with new members of new plaza team in the past month or so.

They indicated that the deal was still on and that hold up seemed to be with the sellers and the fact that they are large public companies that are likely taking a loss on the sale (unconfirmed).

Our meeting discussed improvements in and around the plaza area and the team seemed more than open to those ideas.

It’s not lost on them what the current condition of the plaza is.

Nichols will certainly be narrowed, not sure if it will be pedestrianized completely. One concept they mentioned was bricking it and taking out the curbs.
Love it, thanks for sharing!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

bobthebiker wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:30 am Had a meeting with new members of new plaza team in the past month or so.

They indicated that the deal was still on and that hold up seemed to be with the sellers and the fact that they are large public companies that are likely taking a loss on the sale (unconfirmed).

Our meeting discussed improvements in and around the plaza area and the team seemed more than open to those ideas.

It’s not lost on them what the current condition of the plaza is.

Nichols will certainly be narrowed, not sure if it will be pedestrianized completely. One concept they mentioned was bricking it and taking out the curbs.
Curbless streets was the idea that I think was glossed over when the UrbanLab team did our public engagement session, but it was always my favorite. Loses the street parking, makes the environment FAR more welcoming to pedestrians, but maintains vehicular access for emergency and ADA far easier, and an easier sell to the public who hates the idea of cars losing .000012% of their allotted space in this city
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

At a minimum, narrowing Nichols is long overdue. I've always felt the street was far too wide. There also needs to be a breaking point midway between blocks to give pedestrians an elevated, safe way to cross the street without having to go all the way to the corner. They also need bollards which I believe might be underway near Tiffany & Apple, per a permit filing I recently saw. Don't quote me.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

What Bob said is consistent with what I’ve heard as well.

This being the precedent we could expect on Nichols

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qfXWJGe2v2QfGqvSA?g_st=ic
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Lots of folks out on the plaza this past weekend it was nice to see. For all the talks about it's demise at times I'm reminded what a great place it can be.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Cannot believe someone sawed a leg off one of the bronze figures of the Volker fountain.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Metro wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:18 am Lots of folks out on the plaza this past weekend it was nice to see. For all the talks about it's demise at times I'm reminded what a great place it can be.
I still am pretty optimistic the streetcar extension will bring new life to the Plaza.

Need these new owners to close the deal on it too and start pedestrianizing this thing.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Metro wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:18 am Lots of folks out on the plaza this past weekend it was nice to see. For all the talks about it's demise at times I'm reminded what a great place it can be.
The Plaza is a great place. It just needs better management and some more unique retail and local 'foodie' restaurants.

I really wish everyone would stop talking about its 'demise'. That can't help it get any better!
Last edited by Midtownkid on Tue May 14, 2024 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Midtownkid wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:02 pm
The Plaza is a great place. It just needs better management and some more unique retail and local 'foodie' restaurants.

I really wish everyone would stop talking about it's 'demise'. That can't help it get any better!
there's empty spaces at OPM and even Town Center Plaza
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

ericwyner wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pm

I really wish everyone would stop talking about it's 'demise'. That can't help it get any better!
People forget that TCP is owned by one of the more notorious mall slumlords and is likely to jump the shark if/when BluHawk actually gets built out. LL Bean and Orvis just left citing rent gouging and they also need to fill the old express and most of the north end of the main plaza.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Bluhawk is filling up.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

I don't see BluHawk as much of a threat... it seems like basic strip mall fare with an emphasis on services/restaurants. That being said, Town Center Plaza/Crossing is a conundrum to me. On one hand they lose unique to market tenants like LL Bean and Orvis, and then manage to snag others like The North Face and Gorjana.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

empires228 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:10 am
ericwyner wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pm

People forget that TCP is owned by one of the more notorious mall slumlords and is likely to jump the shark if/when BluHawk actually gets built out. LL Bean and Orvis just left citing rent gouging and they also need to fill the old express and most of the north end of the main plaza.
If the Plaza deal closes anytime soon, maybe LL Bean will head there. BluHawk is essentially on the frontier of the KC metro and the median income is considerably less in that area than it is in the TCP area, I cannot see it becoming anything more than a standard strip mall.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

msmith011 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:30 pm I don't see BluHawk as much of a threat... it seems like basic strip mall fare with an emphasis on services/restaurants. That being said, Town Center Plaza/Crossing is a conundrum to me. On one hand they lose unique to market tenants like LL Bean and Orvis, and then manage to snag others like The North Face and Gorjana.
Before Covid, BluHawk had released a tenant list that included Lands’ End and poaching Abercrombie from Oak Park Mall. With houses by BVW and BBSW selling for $700k+, I wouldn’t spit on the demographics either. Spring Hill has even had to build a new school down by Southwest to accommodate the rapid growth. I used to work down there and parents advise their kids to not go north of 135th.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

empires228 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:54 pm
msmith011 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:30 pm I don't see BluHawk as much of a threat... it seems like basic strip mall fare with an emphasis on services/restaurants. That being said, Town Center Plaza/Crossing is a conundrum to me. On one hand they lose unique to market tenants like LL Bean and Orvis, and then manage to snag others like The North Face and Gorjana.
Before Covid, BluHawk had released a tenant list that included Lands’ End and poaching Abercrombie from Oak Park Mall. With houses by BVW and BBSW selling for $700k+, I wouldn’t spit on the demographics either. Spring Hill has even had to build a new school down by Southwest to accommodate the rapid growth. I used to work down there and parents advise their kids to not go north of 135th.
Lol, it's like the city of OP had line of demarcation thru history.

Parents probably said thru the years don't go north of
80s -75th street
90s - 95th street
2000's -119th street
2020 - 135th street
2030 -151st street
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Saw this rendering of apple store on Youtube. I don't know much about this project so maybe this is already known, but thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbTU0y2R-Q
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Clearing space for luxury row once the HPV deal closes?
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

GRID wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:21 pm Saw this rendering of apple store on Youtube. I don't know much about this project so maybe this is already known, but thought I would share.

Looks good.

Interestingly, the building is not part of what HP is purchasing. I wonder how Drake Development could poach Apple into moving if this video is accurate.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I can't imagine Apple giving up their fairly new space for an entirely new one a few blocks away.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:21 pm Saw this rendering of apple store on Youtube. I don't know much about this project so maybe this is already known, but thought I would share.

Foster+ Partners designs most Apple Stores nowadays. The firm that posted that video is a church rendering business. A