The Midland Lofts (formerly Midland Office Building)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: The Midland Lofts (formerly Midland Office Building)

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:31 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:40 pm Wanna hear something wild?

The Midland Lofts website says 53 apartments are available of the 135 being built. Already 60% leased if that's the case. Could they open with a 90%+ occupancy number?
Are these the P&L District "affordable" units? If so, shows there is a market for that in downtown.
They’re far more affordable than most housing product built downtown in recent years. Some apartments rent for below $900 per month, but those are smaller units. The amenity package for this property, despite being small, is packed.
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The Midland Lofts website says 53 apartments are available of the 135 being built. Already 60% leased if that's the case. Could they open with a 90%+ occupancy number?
33 available apartments. 75.5% pre-leased.
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

Could be 20 of 55 leased
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:20 pm

33 available apartments. 75.5% pre-leased.
All of the sub $800/month units went fast. Opening is now June.
DMNBT_RCJH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

Sign is up on corner of building at 13th and Baltimore. Looks nice.
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

75%+ leased by opening per KB Biz. Journal
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:10 pm 75%+ leased by opening per KB Biz. Journal
Might exceed that amount if it keeps up. Very cool to see.
Also mentioned and well known here but third historic building that Cordish has renovated in PNL.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

bring on the residents! Also let's hope we can get some more businesses downtown as well so these folks can walk to work.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It’s worth noting that this took like a billion years and only happened because of negotiations with the city.

What we need is more developers and policies that make development a right!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:06 pm It’s worth noting that this took like a billion years and only happened because of negotiations with the city.

It was moved up in the timeline due to negotiations with the city but was always in the plans.

Make development a right? I think I've heard it all now. Everything is a "RIGHT"....

What we need is less red tape and more creative ways to help developers build new affordable and profitable housing. If we are just going to continue to expect developers to build affordable units and not make money, we're going to be waiting awhile.
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:19 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:06 pm It’s worth noting that this took like a billion years and only happened because of negotiations with the city.

It was moved up in the timeline due to negotiations with the city but was always in the plans.

Make development a right? I think I've heard it all now. Everything is a "RIGHT"....

What we need is less red tape and more creative ways to help developers build new affordable and profitable housing. If we are just going to continue to expect developers to build affordable units and not make money, we're going to be waiting awhile.
By right is a well established phrased. Ie loosening zoning / mass rezone instead of making every single project plan require a rezone and council appearance.
Last edited by langosta on Mon May 20, 2024 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

langosta wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:22 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:19 pm

By right is a well established phrased. Ie loosening zoning / rezone instead of making every single project plan require a rezone and council appearance.
Yeah this
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Move ins in mid July now. Building in nearly fully leased.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yay! More peeps downtown.
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I've toured this property twice in the past week. Progress is starting to go much faster, but work remains to be done. Most of the work appears to be more "finishing touches" than anything else. The lobby amenity is the least completed portion of the entire building. But, a lot changed in there since last Friday (demonstration kitchen cabinets went up, drywall started). As of this afternoon, 101 apartments are pre-leased (74.8%). I assume they'll open up around 90% leased and be 100% by the end of the year.

It's interesting seeing this development come together like this and the little secrets that are hidden around the building. For example, crown molding details remain on most of the upper floors. However, they're being hidden behind a new ceiling but are not being destroyed (leaves the door open for them to make a return in the future if the decision was ever made to do so). The original terrazzo floors are now hidden below new flooring. In the lobby, the marble will be retained and a new floor will be carefully laid over the old. The tin ceiling in the lobby also remains and serves as the basis for the ceiling design in the lobby amenity room (not yet installed).

Of note, the smallest apartments do not have a full 4-burner stove or oven. They forgo the oven for a 2-burner induction cooktop. Additionally, the smaller apartments have a smaller fridge and freezer, but not super small. It's appropriate for the unit size. All apartments have a smaller dishwasher. I was shown one of the 300sf studios (which faces southeast). While cozy, the windows make it feel open. For many, living in Downtown KC, having the views you have (as seen in the photo with the Power and Light Building in it), and paying less than $900 per month is a win.

Of note, the rendering for the fitness center is strange. It makes it seem small but it's not. It's not as big as the Light Towers gyms, but it's large for a 135 unit apartment building. The leasing agent, Melanie, and I weren't sure if the intent was to squeeze another apartment in at one point or not, but the fitness center rendering is not accurate.

East-facing views, you clear the roof of the Midland on the 6th floor. The 5th floor is the last floor (heading down) with windows facing east towards the Midland.

Having also toured 3 Light, I can say that this building takes several things from 3 Light and applies them here, just on a smaller scale. While the apartments might be smaller, and cheaper to rent, they're not "cheap".

The picture below is of the single bi-level apartment.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:03 am Move ins in mid July now. Building in nearly fully leased.
What was total time to “fully” leased? Seems to be one of the fastest downtown in the past decade or so!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I think they’ve been at that 75% for a few months and have waiting lists for certain models. They’ll be maxed as soon as they open. A lot of people can’t make the jump from their current home until this building is open for sure. Which I understand.

I dig the luxury stuff but we need buildings like this. Many of the people moving in are downtown workers like bartenders and other service workers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Great to see this taking shape. Agreed helping satisfy a demand in downtown housing.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Hate those shitty kitchens, which in my opinion are only appropriate for an airbnb/STR, not a full-time residence, but I guess if you eat out almost every meal then maybe you won't care
Chris Stritzel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Chris Stritzel »

phuqueue wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:35 am Hate those shitty kitchens, which in my opinion are only appropriate for an airbnb/STR, not a full-time residence, but I guess if you eat out almost every meal then maybe you won't care
Sort of limited on space here, but people can make it work. I have a 4 burner stove in my apartment and only use one, the oven is seldom used. At the Midland, the microwaves are 3-in-1s (microwave, air fryer and convection oven). The larger apartments have an actual stove and oven in them with full size fridge/freezer.

You might hate them, and that’s fine. But for people who want to live downtown, they’re plenty practical. Not every apartment needs to have a deluxe kitchen. All that does is take up valuable living space.