KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by KCPowercat »

Any "new" direct usually comes in the form of Spirit which I couldn't care less to see them expand service here, I'd rather connect.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:57 am Any "new" direct usually comes in the form of Spirit which I couldn't care less to see them expand service here, I'd rather connect.
Give the "big seat upfront" a chance.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

langosta wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:17 pm
brooksidebadgers wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 pm KC flew to Memphis on Northwest nonstop...Tulsa/OKC should have directs IMO
Memphis was a Northwest/Delta hub but now has a diminished role in air traffic. Tulsa/Okc/Oma/Des Moines will only survive with significant connecting traffic. These are some of the emptiest Southwest flights out of STL
I was curious at least load and O&D for those routes so I looked them up OMA-STL was better than I expected. 80% loads and more O&D then MCI-STL has. OKC was decent also. Little Rock, Wichita, Tulsa are definitely some of their lowest. But I’m guessing those are very good for Southwest in general. Not many flights all together.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

hartliss wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:11 am
Boston is such an interesting market - at one point you had WN and DL. Then AA tried it briefly and then JetBlue. Now it is just 2/x on Delta.
Spirit is starting Boston also.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

dev49 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:49 am
Boston is such an interesting market - at one point you had WN and DL. Then AA tried it briefly and then JetBlue. Now it is just 2/x on Delta.
Ahh, good point. I forgot about Spirit. Granted I have never flown Spirit but was doing some dummy bookings yesterday and by the time you incorporate your add-ons, the price is similar to the majors (i.e. big seat, carry on, etc). If you don’t have any luggage at all - seems like a great option. If you have luggage or want any additional seating preferences you are paying the same. Curious those who have flown Spirit, how has it been?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

hartliss wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:27 am
dev49 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:49 am
Ahh, good point. I forgot about Spirit. Granted I have never flown Spirit but was doing some dummy bookings yesterday and by the time you incorporate your add-ons, the price is similar to the majors (i.e. big seat, carry on, etc). If you don’t have any luggage at all - seems like a great option. If you have luggage or want any additional seating preferences you are paying the same. Curious those who have flown Spirit, how has it been?
It's not a good experience. Seats are very bad. Great option if you just have to get somewhere but not a fan of it being a growing option in KC.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

I don't live in KC. Here in Detroit we've gotten tickets to LGA for as low as $19 each way. Yes having luggage or other add ons adds a lot to the price but if you pack well & bring your stuff in a personal bag you can save a ton. I'm 6' 1" and have not had an issue with the seats, even on a flight from DTW to FLL.

To each his own I guess.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:27 am I don't live in KC. Here in Detroit we've gotten tickets to LGA for as low as $19 each way. Yes having luggage or other add ons adds a lot to the price but if you pack well & bring your stuff in a personal bag you can save a ton. I'm 6' 1" and have not had an issue with the seats, even on a flight from DTW to FLL.

To each his own I guess.
I did florida for $1 fare+ tax ($~11 total) last year. Wasn’t a sale, back pack was free and held anything I needed for the weekend. Seat wasn’t great but it’s only 3 hours. Amazing deal.
Last edited by langosta on Sun May 05, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

American is adding an 8th daily to DFW in response to spirit.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

langosta wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:46 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:57 am Any "new" direct usually comes in the form of Spirit which I couldn't care less to see them expand service here, I'd rather connect.
Give the "big seat upfront" a chance.
This does change the experience substantially.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Flew Spirit back from LAX to MCI just before the pandemic. We booked seats and a carryon ahead. I can't recall the price now, but remember thinking it was a good deal and appreciated it was a non-stop flight that left late in the day rather than first thing as it feels like so many west coast flights do.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I don't typically look for Spirit flights, but when they pop up in a Kayak search, it feels like anything that isn't non-stop requires just aggressively long layovers. I would possibly consider Spirit for a non-stop where I don't need to bring much (I travel with only a backpack whenever possible anyway, but recently passed on a Spirit non-stop for a wedding trip where adding a full carry-on blew the price up to being the same as Delta), but the long layovers are typically a dealbreaker. My only time actually flying them was pre-covid, and it included an obnoxiously long layover at O'Hare that I had decided to put up with rather than paying more to fly someone else. I don't actually remember the flights themselves, so I guess they were unremarkable, but the layover was long enough to leave the airport and meet a friend for lunch at Lou Malnati's. So that actually wasn't so bad, in retrospect. Spirit should add that to their marketing, that if you fly with them you'll have time to stop for Lou's on the way.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

langosta wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:57 am
langosta wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:20 pm From Justin Meyer

A few nice additions for Kansas City (MCI) in this week's airline schedule load:

AUG 2024:
AA - DCA -1 to 2/day, ORD +1 to 6/day, DFW +1 to 7/day, PHL +1 to 4/day

SEP 2024:
UA - ORD +1 to 6/day

OCT 2024:
AA - ORD +2 to 6/day, PHL +1 to 3/day
UA - ORD +1 to 6/day
Mayor meeting with the President of UA again this week. Mayor or City Manager meet with UA senior execs and staff every few months, at least publicly more than any other airline.
Do you know why the mayor and president of UA were actually meeting? Seems awfully high profile for a casual chat about their Chiefs' and Royals' charter ops....now Josh Earnest is their EVP of Ad/Comms and he is a KC native - may help with the coordination of such meeting.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

hartliss wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:36 pm
langosta wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:57 am
langosta wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:20 pm From Justin Meyer

A few nice additions for Kansas City (MCI) in this week's airline schedule load:

AUG 2024:
AA - DCA -1 to 2/day, ORD +1 to 6/day, DFW +1 to 7/day, PHL +1 to 4/day

SEP 2024:
UA - ORD +1 to 6/day

OCT 2024:
AA - ORD +2 to 6/day, PHL +1 to 3/day
UA - ORD +1 to 6/day
Mayor meeting with the President of UA again this week. Mayor or City Manager meet with UA senior execs and staff every few months, at least publicly more than any other airline.
Do you know why the mayor and president of UA were actually meeting? Seems awfully high profile for a casual chat about their Chiefs' and Royals' charter ops....now Josh Earnest is their EVP of Ad/Comms and he is a KC native - may help with the coordination of such meeting.
Mayor and City Manager seemingly post about visiting UA every quarter for the past 2-3 years
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

Airport directors, mayor's, governors, etc. around the country are in constant contact with airlines. It would be news if KC's weren't.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KC getting Sacramento on Southwest. New city
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:48 pm Airport directors, mayor's, governors, etc. around the country are in constant contact with airlines. It would be news if KC's weren't.
It’s the seniority and frequency on both sides that is unique and interesting.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:06 pm KC getting Sacramento on Southwest. New city
Wow
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

4x weekly MCI-SMF begins October 3
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

langosta wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:53 pm 4x weekly MCI-SMF begins October 3
Seems like it should be a nice destination to have people connecting through KCI as well.