New downtown on street parking rolloout

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Re: New downtown on street parking rolloout

Post by dnweava »

7 day paid parking signs going up around the convention center and also "event pricing" signs around p&l. I was told specifically that ONLY city market was going to have 7 day paid parking. What a joke. Suburban folks already hate downtown parking, let's just encourage them to never come back....

Also these private parking police are a fuckin joke and don't even know or quote the parking ordinance that you broke. I went to their office to fight a BS ticket they gave me a couple months ago as they denied my online appeal(of course a private company won't drop a ticket) , so in person I asked what specific city parking ordinance I broke as they didn't put it on the ticket (pretty sure state law requires that), and when they wouldn't give me one I asked for a court date so they dropped the ticket, pretty sure they have no procedure appealing their tickets as they seemed confused and angry that i asked what the next step was for me if I wanted a court date. I was actually hoping for a court date as I wanted to show a judge how their tickets weren't being done legally.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Event based parking signs going up around city market and 7 day paid parking signs going up north of the t Mobile center today. This is getting bonkers
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC parking signs and restrictions sound more confusing than DC. I didn't think that was possible.

How do you go from one extreme (free parking everywhere) to something that doesn't even make sense to people that live there?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:55 pm
How do you go from one extreme (free parking everywhere) to something that doesn't even make sense to people that live there?
Hire LAZ to do it. lol
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:58 pm
Hire LAZ to do it. lol
Can't they fire them if they are doing a terrible job? Or is this one of those deals where the more tickets issued, the more the private company makes so it's not really being implemented in a way to make things "better". Never privatize parking that way. I can see hiring somebody to come up with a parking plan, parking restrictions etc if the city doesn't have the capacity to do it, but turning over all parking control and giving a cut of parking fees to a company is a bad idea.

Hopefully the city will get enough feedback to kill the contract if all they are doing is trying to make a profit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:24 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:58 pm
Hire LAZ to do it. lol
Can't they fire them if they are doing a terrible job? Or is this one of those deals where the more tickets issued, the more the private company makes so it's not really being implemented in a way to make things "better". Never privatize parking that way. I can see hiring somebody to come up with a parking plan, parking restrictions etc if the city doesn't have the capacity to do it, but turning over all parking control and giving a cut of parking fees to a company is a bad idea.

Hopefully the city will get enough feedback to kill the contract if all they are doing is trying to make a profit.
I'm sure they can, it's pretty early on in the contract so I'm guessing they have more time before their performance is reviewed. I don't know how they are compensated but as infrequent as I see their ticket people I'm guessing it's not by tickets issued.
mjbauer95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mjbauer95 »

Is there any way to avoid that convenience fee? I just paid a 50% fee on $1 in parking through the park kc app.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Just park and don't pay.

I'm sure I will get burned as some point, but I never pay to park on the street.

Remember 'Defund the Police'. I think it gutted the police force who enforce parking. I NEVER see police patrolling parking in KCMO.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:40 pm Just park and don't pay.

I'm sure I will get burned as some point, but I never pay to park on the street.

Remember 'Defund the Police'. I think it gutted the police force who enforce parking. I NEVER see police patrolling parking in KCMO.
Except they were never defunded in KC and have had their funding increased by 25% since then.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Parking enforcement downtown is not the job of kcpd. It's LAX privatized
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^LAZ. Short for the owner's last name, Alan Lazowski.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I am confident Laz intentionally makes it confusing.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

shinatoo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:47 pm

Except they were never defunded in KC and have had their funding increased by 25% since then.
Really? Well, either way I never see police in this city. Has anyone seen the new parking enforcement people out patrolling downtown?

I might need to start being more careful haha
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:28 pm

Really? Well, either way I never see police in this city. Has anyone seen the new parking enforcement people out patrolling downtown?

For sure. They are in blue hats and safety vests. I'm not convinced they patrol anything but their new color coded streets though despite they should be patrolling it all. Data should be able to prove that out in a review period.

I have seen the more standard green and white paid parking signs going up now which is much more clear than their goofy signs
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:28 pm

Both are true. I think I saw the first police officer in our neighborhood since the pandemic. And I'm pretty sure it's they guy we pay extra through the HOA.