OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by GRID »

Wow, impressive. Kind of a cross between navy yard, dc wharf and national harbor here in dc.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:37 pm Wow, impressive. Kind of a cross between navy yard, dc wharf and national harbor here in dc.
same architect as navy yard and battery park city
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's a big step up from what has been built so far.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

The kayak/marina is a great touch. Really nice renderings, I know the Longs are pretty rich but hope they got some other deep pocketed investors too so this comes to fruition.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The complaints about parking are loud and clear. People really show their stupidity on this subject.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

It looks really good, but it will be a shame to lose park space. It would be really cool to have the area along the trail to the west of the ASB bridge made into more of a park. I did see that they placed poles, presumably for lights.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

tower wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:51 am It looks really good, but it will be a shame to lose park space. It would be really cool to have the area along the trail to the west of the ASB bridge made into more of a park. I did see that they placed poles, presumably for lights.
Total park space is increasing by 2-3 acres
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

I love the renderings. This is great news!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

They say this project will have about 1000 apartments. 400 of them going up in the first phase is impressive. However these renderings look more like 2000-2500 apartments.

What is the deal with the Cordish project here? Last I heard they were only going to build a parking structure or something. Is there any sort of timeline? I like Cordish, but it could take them 15 years to develop that land.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Theres also 210,000sf of office in these plans. Plus parking. So those make some buildings look bigger
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Cordish is obligated to do more than parking.
The RFP calls for a minimum of 1,000 garage parking spaces. Those spaces, combined with 1,070 spaces planned for a recently announced nearby development planned by the co-owners of KC Current, would satisfy Port KC’s parking commitment to the new stadium.
In addition to the parking, the RFP called for the mixed-use project to include one or more of the following: 350-plus apartments; at least 10,000 square-feet of retail; at least 100,000 square feet of office space, and/or a 200-room-plus, boutique hotel.
https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/cord ... iverfront/
Development Project Commences: Fall 2023
B. The Development Project must include additional mixed-use components that may be located
above any parking structure, adjacent to any parking structure, and/or as a wrap to any parking
structure. The additional mixed-used components must include one or more of the following:
  • 1. Multi-Family Residential - No less than three-hundred fifty (350) units, which may
    consistent of some combination of studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units; and/or
    2. Retail (including food & beverage and/or entertainment venues) – No less than ten
    thousand (10,000) square feet of leasable space; and/or
    3. Office – No less than one hundred thousand (100,000) square feet of first-class leasable
    space; and/or
    4. Hotel – No less than two hundred (200) key boutique facility, i.e, not a corporately
    owned or franchised flagged facility. Port KC is restricted from selling, leasing or providing
    any financial incentives for a corporately owned or franchised flagged facility prior to
    August 23, 2024.
https://portkc.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... evised.pdf
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

With the hotel restriction rolling off this August, would be great to see a major flag at the riverfront.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Is this restriction associated with the Lowe's agreement ( no subsidies for 500 rooms for 10 years, I think) or a different restriction on the Port Authority?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I know nothing about this and am not involved, but I wonder if the push to get it finished by the world cup means it could be a fan zone? Hotel plus streetcar plus bars...
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 pm I know nothing about this and am not involved, but I wonder if the push to get it finished by the world cup means it could be a fan zone? Hotel plus streetcar plus bars...
This makes a good deal of sense. It'll be a race against the clock, but it can be done.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

missingkc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:41 pm Is this restriction associated with the Lowe's agreement ( no subsidies for 500 rooms for 10 years, I think) or a different restriction on the Port Authority?
Origin Hotel agreement. City is locked up until 2025, or 28, or 30. Forget what its based on. Think its 300 rooms and up too
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Project website launched. Nothing new in here... yet.
https://www.kcriverfront.com
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Not sure this has been mentioned, but Steve Kraske interviewed John Stephens of Port KC after the Current development announcement.

John gave a little more insight into the Current plans including the addition of 2 acres of parkland putting people closer to the river, a "massive" tree replacement plan, and expanded on a vision for this development to include narrow streets with on-street parking and blended sidewalks with patios. Also mentioned first phase being two "pretty large" buildings.

He also expanded on the dock, saying Port KC is engaged in conversations with the Corps of Engineers to add the dock to the center of the park for uses that include boat docking, inland water cruises, boat ferries, and possible water taxis that may go as far as Riverside and Parkville. Not sure this is represented clearly in the renderings with all of the kayaks.

https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-date ... rly%20Bird
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Do you know where the 2 acres will come from? Will it involve removal of the riprap slope down to the river?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

missingkc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:58 pm Do you know where the 2 acres will come from? Will it involve removal of the riprap slope down to the river?
Jon Stephens clarified what's being explored. Sounds like that slope to the river will be reimagined.
https://x.com/RockhillStrat/status/1783937125357850822
https://x.com/RockhillStrat/status/1783949032064241777