Possible USOPC Training Center KCI

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Possible USOPC Training Center KCI

Post by langosta »

USOPC Gymnastics Training Center KCI Pitched near KCI. Article in the business journal isn’t showing for me anymore. TLDR is KC a candidate based on RFP responses. Site to include 200 room hotel, training centers, kitchens, school, small performance hall, etc.

Better fit for Berkley than KCI imho
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Possible USOPC Training Center KCI

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

What good is this if it's up at the airport. Who cares if we even get it at that point.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:07 pm What good is this if it's up at the airport. Who cares if we even get it at that point.
I’m not really sure if this is a use case that should be in the main core of the city
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm surprised they haven't considered converting the American Royal complex for something like this. It's near Hy-Vee Arena and there might be crossover use there.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:52 am I'm surprised they haven't considered converting the American Royal complex for something like this. It's near Hy-Vee Arena and there might be crossover use there.
exactly this
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

my guess is there is a lot of cheap land available for facilities that will sprawl a bit as per the requirements of square footage. Plus a super close location to the airport will make it very easy for athletes and their families, coaches, etc. be able to get in and out quickly as the majority of those using the facilities would be doing so in a temporary fashion or even a "commuter" type of fashion. Would be cool to have in more of the core of the city. But happy it's being proposed for KCMO and not somewhere deep in Johnson County. I'll take it as feather in the cap for the KC Metro and fingers crossed it will be something we can get.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCBJ link by the way: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... enter.html

The site is the park and ride space owned by Richard Chaves which recently got some money for infrastructure improvements from the city
The RFEI, viewed by the Kansas City Business Journal, says proposals for the training and wellness center are to include several components:
A state-of-the-art gymnastics training area, with approximately 130,000 square feet divided into discipline specific spaces for men and women's gymnastics; rhythmic gymnastics; acrobatics; trampoline and tumbling; parkour; and observation areas for family and visitors
Approximately 7,000 to 10,000 square feet of adjacent medical, recovery, rehabilitation and mental health space
An approximately 10,000- to 15,000-square-foot strength and conditioning facility
A catering functions area with a warming kitchen, grab-and-go area and 100-person cafeteria
60,000 square feet of equipment and apparel storage space
100 to 200 hotel rooms, including 25 to 50 suites divided by living rooms or kitchenettes, and additional lodging nearby to accommodate as many as 40,000 room nights annually
Homeschooling and study spaces for athletes
USA Gymnastics' solicitation also says ancillary facilities, either colocated with its center or within 5 miles, should include components such as a 1,500- to 3,000-seat competition venue; organization offices, if it opts to relocate from Indianapolis; and a USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame and museum.
The RFEI says the campus stands to become a destination attraction for gymnastics fans, athletes and professionals. It is expected to support more than 100 developmental, national team and international camps a year and see at least 55,000 annual visitors, according to the materials.