Close.City - Travel Time Map

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
mjbauer95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Close.City - Travel Time Map

Post by mjbauer95 »

A nice tool someone made shows how far parts of the city are from different amenities. It's configurable so you can decide what matters in determining walkability. I like it a lot more than sites like walkscore.com which have a fixed definition of walkability.

Interestingly, with my filters above, only core Brookside gets <5 min travel times. The downtown loop gets penalized because there is no elementary school.

You can try it out here:

Close.City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Close.City - Travel Time Map

Post by KCPowercat »

There are two elementary school campuses in the downtown loop (crossroads academy) and more in real downtown. I think that site is cool but seeing a lot of people saying it's not very accurate. I haven't messed with it to know for sure.
mjbauer95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mjbauer95 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:52 pm There are two elementary school campuses in the downtown loop (crossroads academy) and more in real downtown. I think that site is cool but seeing a lot of people saying it's not very accurate. I haven't messed with it to know for sure.
The creator had an update to improve some of the data recently. At first no parks showed up near me, now that's been fixed. I think it's just a matter of finding a good data source for this.

I think charter schools is its own category separate from ordinary public school.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

cool, yeah I see that is separate now, seems weird. It is a fun tool and glad to hear the data is improving. thanks for sharing.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I love how the Indian HIlls Country Club is basically a walk-centric zone. Kind of ironic, but it's true how convenient everything in the Village is to that part of Mission Hills.