OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:14 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:21 pm After looking at the plans in detail for the Main St Extension and the additional areas where the trams should be in dedicated right of way more often, I think they have done a pretty good job with this extension despite it not being center running.

I still think they may have to ultimately figure out a way to either run coupled trains or double the frequency if downtown starts getting things like a downtown ballpark. That and figure out a way to keep cars out of the way in the sections of the line from crossroads through the river market.

The southern end of the line is pretty much LRT south of 47th. Not that an extension has to be LRT, but it would be a waste to not extend it further south after building it out like that on that end.
Agree. Take this to Waldo as LRT. Would benefit KCMO more than an NKC line would.
And would be way cheaper. No bridge and all the right of way is there. Would be pretty amazing to go all the way to Waldo, but with it being mostly single family residential, they would probably not be able to use the same funding mechanism.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

They wouldn’t but at least could cover operations. The Waldo area is ripe for dense redevelopment.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 pm They wouldn’t but at least could cover operations. The Waldo area is ripe for dense redevelopment.
Yeah, Waldo should be seeing the kind of development that downtown Overland Park is seeing. Rip out all those strip malls and what not. They could put up a large mixed use development south of 75th.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:24 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:17 pm Starting to see the amount of space they are leaving for streetside parking along the route, I don't see how cars are going to fit in those spaces and not impede the train....and I'm all for it. Sly way to cut the parking without saying you're going to cut the parking?
and they had to be aware of their widths as we ran into this problem in many areas of the downtown stretch and had to make changes later as people just couldn't fit their cars in consistently
What changes did they make downtown? Did they just stripe the parking away?
Some places they were able to widen the parking space so maybe those were just badly striped. River Market they turned it into motorcycle parking and bollard it off.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

if parking doesn't fit it should get a curb bump-out with a wider sidewalk, grass, or a place to plant flowers. No more paint stripes and bollards!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

808 is on the way!
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I've heard of problems with the testing of 807. Guess the new models weigh more.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dnweava wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 am I've heard of problems with the testing of 807. Guess the new models weigh more.
would've thought the weight would decline over time as they find more efficient ways to build