KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: KCPD Crime Data

Post by shinatoo »

Metro wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:51 am
shinatoo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:45 am
Metro wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:41 am

We are only 2 behind 2020 and homicides sky rocket in the summer. I get it this fourm really wants to sweep crime under the rug
I don't think you understand what "year to date" means.
I can do snark too.
Or snark.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Any downward trend is good news.

There is a saying: "Some people are determined not to be pleased with good news."
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

FangKC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:13 am Any downward trend is good news.

There is a saying: "Some people are determined not to be pleased with good news."
There were several shootings yesterday. This was your pathetic attempt to pretend crime isn't an issue many of you had done it for years until it became undeniable in 2020.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nobody has posted anything close to saying crime isn't an issue in KC. Excited for a down trend in data doesn't mean anybody thinks its solved.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Any early reviews of the Jackson County candidates? I read that the assistant prosecutor is running on the anti-petty and violent crime agenda.

https://fox4kc.com/politics/your-local- ... cutor/amp/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've already received a flyer in the mail for Gromowsky.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems like a lot of downtown, especially crossroads, businesses are being broke into lately. Businesses that you wouldn't think as a "sane criminal" would have a lot to steal once you are inside. Not sure what the answer is, it almost feels like it's not mentally stable individual involved but that's just a guess, and I know KCPD is "too busy" to respond to any crime, so how do we protect our urban core small busineses?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:55 pm Seems like a lot of downtown, especially crossroads, businesses are being broke into lately. Businesses that you wouldn't think as a "sane criminal" would have a lot to steal once you are inside. Not sure what the answer is, it almost feels like it's not mentally stable individual involved but that's just a guess, and I know KCPD is "too busy" to respond to any crime, so how do we protect our urban core small busineses?
Homelessness is rampant and getting worse in the core. I've seen no real solution or even talk about trying to fix it from representatives. Progressives seem to have a view that living houseless should be a right and we should allow it to continue, that living in public park space or under bridges is their given choice. Traditional liberals would say this is reckless and that we should be providing and demanding drug treatment, mental health care, housing options and removal of outside living. To me, the latter seems uncaring and ultra-idealistic fantasy. It's only going to get worse and crime like you mention will likely increase.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:47 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:55 pm Seems like a lot of downtown, especially crossroads, businesses are being broke into lately. Businesses that you wouldn't think as a "sane criminal" would have a lot to steal once you are inside. Not sure what the answer is, it almost feels like it's not mentally stable individual involved but that's just a guess, and I know KCPD is "too busy" to respond to any crime, so how do we protect our urban core small busineses?
Homelessness is rampant and getting worse in the core. I've seen no real solution or even talk about trying to fix it from representatives. Progressives seem to have a view that living houseless should be a right and we should allow it to continue, that living in public park space or under bridges is their given choice. Traditional liberals would say this is reckless and that we should be providing and demanding drug treatment, mental health care, housing options and removal of outside living. To me, the latter seems uncaring and ultra-idealistic fantasy. It's only going to get worse and crime like you mention will likely increase.
I swear half of it is people taking some sort of sick delight in seeing homeless people. I swear most of the people at my work run up to the window to watch if a homeless person walks through our parking lot. They loooove making fun of them and are fascinated by them. And a good chunk of these people are conservative or even liberal on paper. Absolutely freakish behavior
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Johnson will win and nothing will change
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I have no idea if there is a common thread or not, just seems odd things like a little brewery get broke into. There is nothing to nab in there.

As it goes with the homeless, I'm sure we can do more as a city, but isn't it true many homeless don't want to use the city services due to various restrictions put on them? Valid ones?

I'm not sure charging everybody charged with B&E with 10 years in jail is the answer either.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:55 pm ...so how do we protect our urban core small busineses?
Put criminals in Jail?
KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:01 pm Yeah I have no idea if there is a common thread or not, just seems odd things like a little brewery get broke into. There is nothing to nab in there.
It's not about stealing stuff within these businesses. It's about simply vandalizing them and having fun. Same with the cars. Destructive individuals doing destructive things because there's no repercussions of doing so. It's not rocket science. We see it in nature. Humans are no exception. Would you still pay a water bill if you didn't have to? Would you come to a complete stop at every stop sign if you didn't have to?

https://fb.watch/sovXUrWAKY/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:01 pm
Yeah I have no idea if there is a common thread or not, just seems odd things like a little brewery get broke into. There is nothing to nab in there.

As it goes with the homeless, I'm sure we can do more as a city, but isn't it true many homeless don't want to use the city services due to various restrictions put on them? Valid ones?

I'm not sure charging everybody charged with B&E with 10 years in jail is the answer either.

One can't put the homeless in jail simply because we don't have enough room in the local jails and we need that space for violent criminals. It's a bad policy to criminalize homelessness because it doesn't solve the problem.

New York had a big homeless problem in the early 1990s. There is a way to deal with it. The City and State have to work together to provide resources for housing and mental health services. It worked. I saw the change with my own eyes over 10 years there. You have to have leaders with the will to do it. We don't have that here. Do you think Gov. Parson wants to help fund this effort? The Missouri Legislature? NO.

It's not just a Kansas City problem. St. Louis has a homeless problem. The reason it's a state problem is because smaller towns and cities don't have adequate facilities and funding so their homeless end up in larger cities. Several years ago, the Salvation Army in St. Joseph shut down the general homeless shelter to focus on only providing shelter to families. That meant single homeless people had no facility and many of them were sent down to Kansas City on the bus.

Granted, the housing crisis has forced some people out of their previous housing because of rent increases and they haven't found affordable alternative housing--often sleeping in their cars if they have one.

The other issue is what unemployed homeless people should do during the day. Most shelters require them to leave between certain hours, and then they compete for beds when the shelter reopens. Most unemployed homeless are mentally ill and likely have trouble securing and holding a job. They essentially wander the streets until they can return to the shelter.

This is why they need some type of housing other than an emergency housing situation (shelter).
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Missouri is spending $300 million on the mental hospital at UMKC (or close to that amount)