Is KC Tenants destroying the development future of downtown KCMO?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Is KC Tenants destroying the development future of downtown KCMO?

Post by Metro »

ericwyner wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:34 pm I assume that Pete Mundo is pals with Jeff Roe thinking KC Tenants and Sunrise Movement KC would push anti-tax conservatives to yote yes, we can expect them to be a big issue in the MO GOP GOV primary is Jeff Roe is still finding work
Pete Mundos was against the stadium tax
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Metro wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:38 pm
ericwyner wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:34 pm I assume that Pete Mundo is pals with Jeff Roe thinking KC Tenants and Sunrise Movement KC would push anti-tax conservatives to yote yes, we can expect them to be a big issue in the MO GOP GOV primary is Jeff Roe is still finding work
Pete Mundos was against the stadium tax
he said he took no position on it, but he sounded like a yes vote based on the way he's been bashing KC Tenants, he thought it'd pass narrowly
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:26 pm
im2kull wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:03 pm
im2kull wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:28 am

Sources: https://clerk.kcmo.gov/Legislation.aspx , Cityscene, https://kctenants.org/press

I think you are making the common mistake of minimizing their negative impacts. It's an easy mistake to make when viewing through too narrow a lens.
Looks like we can add another billion or so in losses to the list. It's a shame so many people still write off such a powerful organization and cannot admit that their actions are having costly reactions. They're continuing to bring development to a grinding halt in this town. RIP Royals. RIP Chiefs.
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:45 am
Nothing seemed too egregious except the $90,000 expenditures for Manleys campaign. I’m more interested in where their funding COMES from than where it goes in all honesty…
I've already done the math on this one. It comes from the same place most big money political contributions come from in this country. Major out of state interest. You should be able to figure it out easy enough if you think about the obvious, usual suspects.

bspecht wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:43 pm

TBF it was a total of over $165K for Manley and over $40K for Duncan. Bunch only got $7K, which was basically the minimum they gave to candidates they supported.
Correct.
I’m just asking if there is a paper trail or direct evidence of where their money comes from…not engaging in conspiracy theories
Yes
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

TrolliKC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:37 pm Yep, no way I would vote for it after that mailing. Not sure why the Royals thought it would be smart to demonize at least half the population.
Was that an official Royals mailing? Or was it the work of a different organization?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

im2kull wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:58 pm
im2kull wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:03 pm

Looks like we can add another billion or so in losses to the list. It's a shame so many people still write off such a powerful organization and cannot admit that their actions are having costly reactions. They're continuing to bring development to a grinding halt in this town. RIP Royals. RIP Chiefs.

I've already done the math on this one. It comes from the same place most big money political contributions come from in this country. Major out of state interest. You should be able to figure it out easy enough if you think about the obvious, usual suspects.

Correct.
I’m just asking if there is a paper trail or direct evidence of where their money comes from…not engaging in conspiracy theories
Yes
Can you link it?
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

im2kull wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:59 pm
TrolliKC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:37 pm Yep, no way I would vote for it after that mailing. Not sure why the Royals thought it would be smart to demonize at least half the population.
Was that an official Royals mailing? Or was it the work of a different organization?
Cornerstone 1791, an organization linked to Jeff Roe
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

ericwyner wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:15 pm
im2kull wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:59 pm
Cornerstone 1791, an organization linked to Jeff Roe
The mailing was not approved by the campaign or teams.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:10 pm
im2kull wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:58 pm
Yes
Can you link it?
Founder Tara likely made several connections at Harvard that she leveraged with her privileged background to create KCT, surely with the ultimate goal of entering into national politics. I have no doubt she'll be running on a Federal Senate or House ticket in the next five years. KCT's infiltration of local and state level politics and Tara's constant national media tours point to this end goal.

This should get you started. Bear in mind how much KCT has grown since these 2020 articles on the matter...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/us/p ... tions.html
https://blacklivesmatter.com/wp-content ... report.pdf

If you're not familiar enough with these channels of funds distribution, I can spell it out plainly on here. KCT is not the best when it comes to following proper MEIC procedures, so I'm not sure everything is captured in their PAC filings or Non-Profit disclosures.. as Tony points out.

https://www.tonyskansascity.com/2023/06 ... e_vignette
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

the tenants advocacy org spent close to $150,000 on this campaign, that they have reported thus far. Total spend might not be known for a while
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Why isn't KCT working with the city on things like addressing changes to the energy code that builders are having trouble working with when getting permits? The article references nine single family home permits issued in the past six months instead of 85 per months before the code change (Sept 2023). Fewer new homes in the city directly affects rent prices, property taxes and a slew of other things.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/nu ... ansas-city
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Because social housing is the North Star of KCT and anything less is a compromise
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

kcjak wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:10 am Why isn't KCT working with the city on things like addressing changes to the energy code that builders are having trouble working with when getting permits? The article references nine single family home permits issued in the past six months instead of 85 per months before the code change (Sept 2023). Fewer new homes in the city directly affects rent prices, property taxes and a slew of other things.

Hard to say tenants and sunrise don’t have an impact when their championed initiatives have ground housing creation to a halt on most every front
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

Hello, all. Your feedback is requested. If someone were to do an investigative piece on KCT, what are the specific areas of focus/documentation that would be most valuable to those efforts? I know we've discussed KC Tenants and listed many of these areas in the thread, but if you could reply with anything concrete you have, I need that information asap. Thank you all in advance.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Link2 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:27 pm Hello, all. Your feedback is requested. If someone were to do an investigative piece on KCT, what are the specific areas of focus/documentation that would be most valuable to those efforts? I know we've discussed KC Tenants and listed many of these areas in the thread, but if you could reply with anything concrete you have, I need that information asap. Thank you all in advance.
Search KC Tenants on Propublica and MEC (Missouri ethics). Compare their fillings to legitimate trusted non-profits. You will notice KC Tenants provides almost no details. Only detail is that they’ve spent $150k* on the stadium campaign and about that on last years KC elections.

The founder is filed to be living in and has said in speeches that she’s from a luxurious neighborhood in suburban kansas. You can read her story on KC star.

* recorded so far. Post election fillings will probably bump this up
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Funding & payroll. Goals & tactics.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcjak wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:10 am Why isn't KCT working with the city on things like addressing changes to the energy code that builders are having trouble working with when getting permits? The article references nine single family home permits issued in the past six months instead of 85 per months before the code change (Sept 2023). Fewer new homes in the city directly affects rent prices, property taxes and a slew of other things.

You have fallen for the common misconception that everyone seems to be falling for. Go read KC Tenants website and all of their information. They State plain as day they do not care about affordable housing as it relates to private housing. They ONLY want socialized housing in our future.

Tara, their founder, obviously cares about neither and is simply clout chasing so that she can launch a political career.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:17 am Because social housing is the North Star of KCT and anything less is a compromise
Precisely. How long is it going to take for everyday people to realize that there is no bargaining room with them because of this? They are not here to compromise or to assist.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The most obvious focus is results. They have protested new developments that set aside some affordable housing. Has KCTenants created one unit of new housing for low-income people? If not, why not? If so, how many units, and list where they are. If social housing is their goal, how will they achieve this? Who will fund the maintenance and security of such housing once built? The US has a long history of constructing public housing only to see a lack of funding for maintenance and security--resulting in the buildings needing to be demolished.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5WpHxkJsk ... BiNWFlZA==

Wayne Minor Public Housing opened in 1960 and was demolished in 1987.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/02/2 ... 541486800/

https://kchistory.org/image/wayne-mine ... ffset%5D=0

https://kchistory.org/image/wayne-miner ... ffset%5D=9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zc5V3MQxqw
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Short film Renter Revolt: Housing and Human Rights in America's Heartland is playing at the KC Film Fest.
https://kcfilmfest.org/
Sat, Apr 13th, 1:30 PM @ Ward Parkway Theatre 3
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

FangKC wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:08 pm The most obvious focus is results. They have protested new developments that set aside some affordable housing. Has KCTenants created one unit of new housing for low-income people? If not, why not?
No.

Because their organization's top leadership wants social housing, and is in an all-or-nothing mindset regarding that wish. Affordable housing is not a priority. Gaining a reputation, clout, and enough funds to launch a serious (Federal) political career for Tara Raghuveer is a goal that I'm sure she's working towards.

For a good laugh read this:
https://mec.mo.gov/Scanned/CasedocsPDF/CMTS1766.pdf