Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Transportation topics in KC
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Post by Metro »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:36 am
GRID wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:19 amYou also encourage more people to camp out on the system (homeless etc) which discourages people that do have options from riding the buses.
There it is
You don't think this is a problem?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:26 am
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:17 am
GRID wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:03 am Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the quality and service of the KCATA bus system has fallen quite a bit since they made it free. I predicted it would happen. Nothing good comes from making a transit system free to use which is why there are pretty much no large high quality, high use transit systems in the world that are free to use.
I'm not a daily rider but I use it more now that it is free and I don't think I'd say it's fallen in service? I'd never say it was high quality service though. I mean the city pulling it's funding amount is probably going to force it to collect fares again but not sure how making transit free is "nothing good" coming from it? Puts some money back in pockets for those who need it and rely on transit for their jobs?
Because the ATA is already so underfunded as it is. Taking a system that is just scraping to get by and making it free is not going to help it.
Making it free didn't change their funding level if I remember right, it was made up for with other city funds. Now that has changed is why I mentioned fares may return.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

KCATA needs to look to a city like Austin for an example of how to run a bus system. I was impressed with that system while working out there and Texas also appears to provide little if any funding much like Missouri.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC_Ari wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:30 am KCATA needs to look to a city like Austin for an example of how to run a bus system. I was impressed with that system while working out there and Texas also appears to provide little if any funding much like Missouri.
Yeah, Austin has suburban transit centers that are much larger and busier than KC's downtown transit center. Similar sized metro and they have twice as many buses as KC and they are probably on the streets more often. And that was before they funded that huge project to add all kinds of LRT, BRT and additional commuter rail. It's all about funding and the KCATA is not getting enough from any level of government.

And now they don't even collect fares. Not that it matters much with a very low ridership system, but might be hard to go back to fare collecting once you have made it free.

But look on the bright side. Indy is even worse than KC. Similar sized city, but much smaller bus system and no streetcar.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

RideKC social media watching Grid's posts
https://twitter.com/RideKCTransit/statu ... 0786644188
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 am RideKC social media watching Grid's posts
Not sure they care about my posts haha.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 am RideKC social media watching Grid's posts
Not sure they care about my posts haha.
Ha I know, just found it funny