Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by moderne »

Mrs. Sherman says Royals leaving Jax Co.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:12 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:15 pm I think the Royals end up in NKC. EV would be a long shot, but my bet is on NKC now.
That would be a huge missed opportunity for Kansas City.
Yep, it's happened again...
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

^Why? The Hunts are Texans and if they get an amazing stadium offer elsewhere why wouldn’t they take it?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:15 pm I think the Royals end up in NKC. EV would be a long shot, but my bet is on NKC now.
That wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Neither would the Chiefs moving to WyCo or JoCo. As long as baseball is in the admittedly meagre urban core, and football is in the metro, I could care less. I'm still not sure building stadia with public money makes any economic sense, but I do want to live in a place with MLB at least, and I want it in the core, not out in a dumpy-ass parking lot in Kansindeptown. I also enjoy and value the Chiefs, so I voted yes purely based on emotion. But if another taxbase will fund those irrational desires and I'm off the hook, even better.
Last edited by chingon on Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mourban wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:26 pm ^Why? The Hunts are Texans and if they get an amazing stadium offer elsewhere why wouldn’t they take it?
Because it's a legacy franchise and I don't think the Hunts would do that to the Chiefs or to KC and I don't even thing the NFL would support it. However if the NFL did support it, it could happen very quickly and behind the scenes if this drags out closer to the end of the lease. NFL teams moves pretty easily. MLB not so much.

I don't think Sherman would either, but the way he is being treated by people there, I wouldn't blame him.

I still say Chiefs to KS, Royals to NKC.

That vote killed downtown KC. It will take a miracle to bring downtown back into the equation. A big one.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

Give it a few years after the mahomes dynasty era and ownership may have wandering eyes. KC needs to lock both of these things down and not get complacent
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

In what what has Sherman been treated badly?

I'm glad you believe in miracles Grid, it's not really going to take that but I get how it feels rn.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

In a rare alignment, I agree with GRID. I think downtown baseball is dead here. The only possible path forward I could see is if KCMO cuts JaxCo out, and passes the same 3/8th cent tax in the city, with a promise to move the Chiefs to the Northland and the Royals downtown, including significant parking.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:35 pm In what what has Sherman been treated badly?

I'm glad you believe in miracles Grid, it's not really going to take that but I get how it feels rn.
Really. I know you are optimistic and I'm pessimistic generally on KC stuff. But tell me how.

If they come back to the Crossroads they will have the same fierce opposition they had the first time around. Even if it's not "real" because people (and groups like KC tenants, yes, I will keep saying their name) will still use the "save the crossroads" and small businesses as rhetoric and people will buy into it.

The Royals would have to buy up al the property in advance now, and make deals with all the businesses etc all before any funding is secured. I don't see that happening either.

And if they did do all of that, the chances of a city or county wide general election vote to build a downtown stadium passing is slim.

But all possible if you are very optimistic and maybe, just maybe Sherman will go that route.

The other option is EV. Okay, so we are back to square one with MoDot rebuilding the east loop, a stadium surrounded by fortresses of gov buildings and KC tenants will be all over the displacement of that low income building there and the location is just not as "sexy" as the crossroads location to most people. But again, he could try. I think he is done with Jackson County though.

I think the more likely scenario is going to be NKC where they can probably get enough money from the state to make the stadium happen without a vote, but still maybe get a tax passed by NKC and or Clay and possibly even Platte to help. The NKC site has the backing of some big KC developers etc.

I'm not being mean here, I'm actually posting what I think is mostly likely to happen. It's just an opinion.

And I really do think the Chiefs will end up in KS and it's probably better they did since Jackson County will never do anything with the area around the stadium which is badly deteriorating and the Chiefs don't want to really do a proper renovation to Arrowhead.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:46 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:35 pm In what what has Sherman been treated badly?

Really. I know you are optimistic and I'm pessimistic generally on KC stuff. But tell me how.

If they come back to the Crossroads they will have the same fierce opposition they had the first time around. Even if it's not "real" because people (and groups like KC tenants, yes, I will keep saying their name) will still use the "save the crossroads and small businesses as rhetoric and people will buy into it.

The Royals would have to buy up al the property in advance now, and make deals with all the businesses etc all before any funding is secured. I don't see that happening either.
This was basically already done with the owners. The save the crossroads and small business can be overcome with more than signing agreements the day of the vote with the community. Get that agreement and flaunt it and show how the royals are helping integrate with the neighborhood and mitigate impact. Neither of those were done at all in this campaign.
And if they did do all of that, the chances of a city or county wide general election vote to build a downtown stadium passing is slim.
Historical voting in KCMO or JaxCo does not support this.
The other option is EV. Okay, so we are back to square one with MoDot rebuilding the east loop, KC tenants will be all over the displacement of that low income budling there and the location is just not as "sexy" as the crossroads location to most people. But again, he could try.
The housing is pretty easy to overcome by replacing it in the new development.
I think the more likely scenario is going to be NKC where they can get enough money from the state to make the stadium happen and maybe get a tax passed by NKC and or Clay and possibly even Platte to help. The NKC site has the backing of some big KC developers etc.
Clay and Platte don't have near the tax base nor are the known for voting for other taxes so I don't see why you find this more probable than JaxCo/KCMO vote which you said above is slim?
I'm not being mean here, I'm actually posting what I think is mostly likely to happen. It's just an opinion.
For sure, doesn't sound mean at all.
And I really do think the Chiefs will end up in KS and it's probably better they did since Jackson County will never do anything with the area and the Chiefs don't want to really do a proper renovation to the Arrowhead.
Trying my best to stick to whichever thread this is supposed to talk about but time will tell here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The Royals already own all the property or have made deals with everybody effected?

There is no history of replacing a loved stadium with a stadium people don't want in a part of town people don't want to go to.

Doesn't mean the existing housing won't be used as propaganda. And the same was said about the businesses in the way of the CR site and we see how that worked out.

Clay and Platte combined are half the size of Jackson. A Royals only tax would only need to be half the amount since the Chiefs are not involved. So the same 3/8 tax should raise about the same amount for the Royals. However, I think they can do it with state only money in the NKC site. It will be far cheaper than downtown with less opposition.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:39 pm In a rare alignment, I agree with GRID. I think downtown baseball is dead here. The only possible path forward I could see is if KCMO cuts JaxCo out, and passes the same 3/8th cent tax in the city, with a promise to move the Chiefs to the Northland and the Royals downtown, including significant parking.
Rare alignment? Come on!

That has always been my dream scenario. Royals downtown and Chiefs in NKC would be fucking amazing.

I really wish KC could pull that off.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Here's my speculative take

I think that the Chiefs moving to KS is a likelihood at this point. Their part of the JaxCo vote was so very halfhearted. They were content to let the whole thing become a referendum on the Royals while they sat on the sidelines, ran a few ads, and watched it all go down in flames. I'm sure they knew exactly what KS could offer them before this vote. And now they can point to the vote and say they tried. I think they always wanted the a shiny new stadium - but especially after spending a couple of weeks inside Allegiant Stadium for the Super Bowl.

I think the Chiefs moving to KS will motivate the Jackson County, KCMO leadership, and Missouri State to try to save the Royals with a better thought out plan.

What a waste!

Poor leadership from the teams. Frank White gets his pyrrhic victory. Lucas will be the mayor that lost the Chiefs (and possibly more). We deserve better.

KCDowntown
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

There was a video circulating before the vote where a group of KC Tenants/Sunrise Movement people ran up to Sherman in a parking lot in the crossroads asking him questions and he hurried into his car and drove off. I was just just surprised to see him out and about coming off the street like a normal human.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I'm sincerely shocked that anyone in this group thinks the Chiefs are going anywhere besides Arrowhead stadium. Clark Hunt is deeply and I mean deeply loyal to tradition and the legacy his father built. Why are the Chiefs the only team in the league to not have alternative jerseys when it would make the team millions of dollars? Because of tradition. That said, he is a businessman and has smart people who work for him. They'll play coy to get all the funding they can to renovate Arrowhead but they'll have to literally get fisted by the state of Missouri government and local government in order to move to Kansas. I see zero issues for them to come up with nearly a billion dollars of funding on their own. The Royals were the problem on this last vote. If they break up with Jackson County, the Chiefs only vote passes with a breeze.

And the idea the Chiefs would leave the metro is literally insane. So many massive blunders would have to take place for that to happen.

My thoughts on the future of the Royals is going to change day by day over the next several weeks. Today, I feel like downtown baseball has left the building.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

moderne wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:21 pm Mrs. Sherman says Royals leaving Jax Co.
No, this is not what she said. She said they would not be working with Jackson Co again, meaning they are going to work with the city for a downtown ballpark or other entities. Royals could still end up in JaxCo without being funded by a county tax.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

She said KC would be lucky if they end up in Kansas.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC_Ari wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:12 pm

There was a video circulating before the vote where a group of KC Tenants/Sunrise Movement people ran up to Sherman in a parking lot in the crossroads asking him questions and he hurried into his car and drove off. I was just just surprised to see him out and about coming off the street like a normal human.
Yeah I mean that one video was bad and them posting the video got nothing but hate in the replies. I wouldn't classify that as typical.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:56 pm The Royals already own all the property or have made deals with everybody effected?
they had deals with like 80% of the physical land space of the stadium. That was my basically. They didn't have it with the buildings on grand but that was just a strip club right, har har, so that's nothing.
There is no history of replacing a loved stadium with a stadium people don't want in a part of town people don't want to go to.
This statement is just inaccurate. people have been going downtown more now than since the 1980s. Kemper was actually fought for when tmobile was being voted on. KCI was beloved as dumb as that sounds. Both passed.
Doesn't mean the existing housing won't be used as propaganda. And the same was said about the businesses in the way of the CR site and we see how that worked out.
No doubt it could be hence getting the deal done early and working the messaging on it versus what they did this campaign which was nothing. Which is why it worked out that way. The Royals did nothing to smooth those waters. Didn't even sign the CBA until the last voting day.
Clay and Platte combined are half the size of Jackson. A Royals only tax would only need to be half the amount since the Chiefs are not involved. So the same 3/8 tax should raise about the same amount for the Royals. However, I think they can do it with state only money in the NKC site. It will be far cheaper than downtown with less opposition.
So you think Clay AND Platte would vote for one stadium in one county? What history do we have of those counties voting for anything and/or enough tax base to pull it off. You really think they can do it state money only but that was impossible downtown. Come on man. As we've all been told downtown is nothing and it's falling behind, but now the land is going to cost $340M ?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Bye, Felicia.