Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by mourban »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:47 pm
KC_Ari wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:45 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:01 pm And the first speculation of the departure of one of the teams is already hitting national news with the Dallas Mayor making statements about Dallas going after the Chiefs for a second NFL team in the Dallas area.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-ma ... ity-chiefs
Already told my friend group I foresee a bidding war between Kansas and Texas for the Chiefs. I don't see Clark Hunt caring about the team in KC at all.
You guys need to take a Xanex. The Chiefs and Royals aren't leaving town. They sell out every game with tickets going for huge premiums over other cities. The fanbase is ferocious. Lamar Hunt history. Stop with this silly madness.
The Royals attendance levels are low… partially because their location sucks. I’d argue they need to move and hopefully a downtown plan gets made quickly
Last edited by mourban on Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Arrowhead name is owned by the County, I believe. No, “Arrowhead West”.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:32 pm Arrowhead name is owned by the County, I believe. No, “Arrowhead West”.
Odds they leave the name of the stadium AND the team when they leave the state of MO?
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:32 pm Arrowhead name is owned by the County, I believe. No, “Arrowhead West”.
DraftKings stadium.
neurosyphilis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neurosyphilis »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:25 pm Perhaps KC voters will vote to fund the Royals downtown if they don't also have to pay for the Chiefs. Perhaps..
Yeah I think you've got that backwards
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

neurosyphilis wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:51 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:25 pm Perhaps KC voters will vote to fund the Royals downtown if they don't also have to pay for the Chiefs. Perhaps..
How? You think KC voters will sit there really let the Royals go after they just lost the Chiefs? No way
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:55 pm
How? You think KC voters will sit there really let the Royals go after they just lost the Chiefs? No way
The Save the Vacant Star building and blocks of asphalt parking voting block would be upset.
neurosyphilis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neurosyphilis »

I don't think the Chiefs are leaving ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

less than 24 hours after the vote here is how I see this all playing out

- Chiefs play flirty eyes with KS, pretty designs and all
- MO leadership are beside themselves about losing every NFL team and rallies the state to keep Chiefs
- Royals and Chiefs agree to separate. Chiefs play nice with JaxCo, Royals tell them to get bent
- Royals work with KCMO to get the funding needed (don't ask me how, I don't know)
- Big beautiful fully fleshed out plan comes out from the Royals.
- Royals go back to whatever vote they need to go back to next April
- Chiefs take longer to get their vote.
- Downtown baseball 2029
- New Arrowhead with a real redone stadium 2032?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

neurosyphilis wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:00 pm

I don't think the Chiefs are leaving ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It seems to me that 50%+ of the 'No' vote was literally just people thinking "there's no way they're gonna move...so fuck this"

The Royals & Chiefs, to their credit, never said otherwise. But I do truly wonder what the vote outcome is if they just straight up said "yep we're moving to KCK if you don't approve this next vote. Up to you." Maybe that moves 8% of the voters they need across the line.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:40 pm
im2kull wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:36 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:34 pm The Royals just terminated their agreement with the Crossroads.
Good. The CCA dicked around and it SHOULD cost them this generational opportunity, along with the sweetheart agreement. The CCA never endorsing and only agreeing on THE DAY OF the vote is absurd. Maybe they can get Chartreuse to sponsor their new DEI and employment guidelines?
We don't owe you anything.
The Royals were literally bending over backwards for the crossroads, making a larger investment than has ever been made in that area before, meeting nearly every demand, even the outrageous ones, and this is your attitude? Talk about nimbyism at its finest. I'm disappointed in you Dave.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

mourban wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:28 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:47 pm
KC_Ari wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:45 pm

Already told my friend group I foresee a bidding war between Kansas and Texas for the Chiefs. I don't see Clark Hunt caring about the team in KC at all.
You guys need to take a Xanex. The Chiefs and Royals aren't leaving town. They sell out every game with tickets going for huge premiums over other cities. The fanbase is ferocious. Lamar Hunt history. Stop with this silly madness.
The Royals attendance levels are low… partially because their location sucks. I’d argue they need to move and hopefully a downtown plan gets made quickly
maybe also the lack of transplants other than STL like in Denver
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:45 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:12 pm Weird, the people who make these decisions disagree with you. Today at least.

Not sure how many times I'm going to have to explain how Cordish played a role here. They wanted downtown baseball, they didn't twist arms into the East Crossroads site. There was some nudging but it wasn't by Cordish.
Well, Cordish is out. I'm hoping the Royals choose a good partner for their development and go back to the original plan to fund with the revenue around the stadium. My only concern is that they won't realize that they need to come to the table with more resources. They're going to have to put up more money.
Proof Cordish is out?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm not sure there is time to save the chiefs. KS will not mess around and will have something signed in the middle of the night in the coming months. It's just like sporting kc.

Royaks have a little more time and I don't know if Sherman woukd entertain moving to ks so quickly, but I can see ks offering up a location in Overland Park or something.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:36 pm I'm not sure there is time to save the chiefs. KS will not mess around and will have something signed in the middle of the night in the coming months. It's just like sporting kc.
Mayflower Trucks, ironically they were bought out and moved to STL from Indy
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:36 pm I'm not sure there is time to save the chiefs. KS will not mess around and will have something signed in the middle of the night in the coming months. It's just like sporting kc.

Royaks have a little more time and I don't know if Sherman woukd entertain moving to ks so quickly, but I can see ks offering up a location in Overland Park or something.
Royals are on a tighter timeline than the Chiefs.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:44 pm

Royals are on a tighter timeline than the Chiefs.
It's not the time-line it's how bad ks wants them and if they can agree to a deal before mo is able to do anything. They can sign a deal that won't take effect till the lease is up but have the stadium open and ready to go.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:05 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:56 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:46 pm

Yeah and I'm eating shit today. I thought it would slide by. I'm one of downtown KC's biggest cheerleaders.
What I was alluding to by that is there isn't all of a sudden this change in downtown opinion in one day.
No, it's been something we as downtown supporters have battled for years. I don't know what percentage to assign to the shit job the teams did campaigning vs the anti-tax folks vs the save the crossroads crowd vs the downtown is scary crowd. I just know the downtown is scary crowd played a big role in this. I can't be mad at the voters who said NO over the other issues but I can be mad at the ones, likely in Eastern Jackson County that said no over misconceptions and fears of downtown.

This all just reminds me we need to figure out how to get over the hump on these folks who are uneducated about downtown.

Bummer the Royals didn't do better. What a freakin' missed opportunity for downtown.
fwiw i'm 100% with you here on all counts (unremarkable other than i feel like i mostly give you shit so wanted to acknowledge otherwise for once)
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I'll never root for a Kansas based team. I'll literally burn my Chiefs merch if they announce a deal with Kansas.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know it's hard to keep these separate but let's keep this about the royals