Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by bspecht »

Final votes in JaxCo.

Final KCMO.
Last edited by bspecht on Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Also....BLAME THE CHIEFS. They're the ones with all the pull in this town and did NOTHING to win this thing. Nothing but a fucking grass field.
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bricknose »

bspecht wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:18 pm Final votes in JaxCo.
Nice voter turnout. I wonder if the numbers will be anything similar in August when there is a ballot initiative to prevent future ballot initiatives.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:20 pm Also....BLAME THE CHIEFS. They're the ones with all the pull in this town and did NOTHING to win this thing. Nothing but a fucking grass field.
Did you go to any of the public engagement things? The Royals reps were objectively awful
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:18 pm
chingon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:16 pm It’s not doomerism, the Royals didn’t want this to pass. They wanted an excuse to move. Kansas will throw every dollar from Garden City to Mission Hills at the Chiefs. This was generationally stupid.
The Royals want to be downtown badly. They didn't try and fuck this up on purpose.
Downtown Nashville maybe
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

chingon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:27 pm
chingon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:16 pm It’s not doomerism, the Royals didn’t want this to pass. They wanted an excuse to move. Kansas will throw every dollar from Garden City to Mission Hills at the Chiefs. This was generationally stupid.
The Royals want to be downtown badly. They didn't try and fuck this up on purpose.
Downtown Nashville maybe
do they wanna pay a stadium? what about the Nashville Tennants?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Some Nashville will.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Even KCMO hates KCMO.
KC is the way to be!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I think Chiefs end up in Kansas now
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

chingon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:27 pm
Downtown Nashville maybe
I've got to spend a good amount of time around John Sherman during this whole thing. Almost all of it with small groups in private settings with no media. That man doesn't want to be the guy who took the Royals out of the market. He's not in this to raise the value of the team and dump it for a big profit.

Downtown Nashville may happen, but it would be because every door was closed in his face here around KC.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:40 pm I think Chiefs end up in Kansas now
That's not happening. Not for 25 years and even at that point, I'd say it's a long shot.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Does he realize how badly they fucked this up and understand what he needs to do to win back support from people, though?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Sani wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:42 pm Does he realize how badly they fucked this up and understand what he needs to do to win back support from people, though?
No. Like I said the whole Royals outreach to the community was absolutely out of touch
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Metro wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:44 pm
Sani wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:42 pm Does he realize how badly they fucked this up and understand what he needs to do to win back support from people, though?
No. Like I said the whole Royals outreach to the community was absolutely out of touch
This result was so lopsided I'm not sure even a good campaign could've won it.

Find a way to do this without a vote. That's all I can say.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I am not surprised by the outcome. Love or hate social media, the margin of yes/no is about the same as I saw on social media. I thought from the time the Royals decided on East Crossroads to the time of the vote was far too short of duration to sort out all the details let alone a successful campaign and the Royals ultimately landed on a very cliched promotional campaign focusing on athletes promoting the Yes vote with almost no information other than keep the teams in Jackson County. Very poorly done. It will be interesting to see what the Royal's next move is considering they have stated clearly that they do not intend to be at TSC in the future. They now have some pretty limited options.

At the same time, I was really disappointed in KC's lack of vision. The amount of misinformation, class warfare and "save the crossroads" nonsense was a bit too much to take (at least what I saw on social media and local media as well). People vastly overestimate how deep the Royals ownership's pockets are - they simply cannot afford to build a stadium on their own. On the scale necessary to retain a MLB or NFL franchise, there is always going to have to be a significant public investment in a small market city. The fact that one owner is a billionaire is irrelevant; the project even dwarfs his considerable means. As I said earlier, the vote was up against a perfect storm of suburban MAGA types who hate blue cities and blue city social justice warriors who hate "regressive taxes" and Missouri libertarians who hate any public/private joint venture - all of whom probably think the Royals will be in Kansas City for perpetuity regardless of the outcome and future outcomes. It's tough to win when you have significant representation from the right and left against you. So now hopefully instead of a celebration, there will be a "how do we salvage this" moment from the winners (and losers alike).
Last edited by Highlander on Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Arrogance lost this vote. I voted for it but I had to hold my nose because it was bad from the beginning. You can't just waltz into the Crossroads saying you're going to close major roads and bulldoze whole sections of buildings without some bit of humility. And the Chiefs plan gave nothing real to the average fan. It was an extra parking garage, VIP entrance and suites for Taylor Swift. Tearing out regular people seats in the endzone for suites. Nothing new for the normal fan who saves to be able to go to a game as a Christmas present every year.

Both teams need to eat crow with their efforts. They should have waited until they had an actual good plan with real details instead of trying to rush this and shove it down the voters throats. I'm kind of glad it died because it shows that voters listen, and you have can't take them for granted.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I’m glad it died so I can stop watching baseball in a few years when they move.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

It is mildly concerning to see the amount of the “vote no” crowd who genuinely believe that no matter what happens neither team will ever leave the metro. These people are wildly ignorant or incredibly sheltered to genuinely believe that another city won’t be rolling out the red carpet should either team ask.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I think the best path forward here is the Chiefs leave for Kansas (and get a real stadium) and them leaving the state scares the shit out of Missouri voters enough to vote the Royals to stay and go downtown finally.
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

I bet a lot of eastern Jackson County voters like the status quo location. I’ll be interested to see what it looks like if KCMO cuts them out of the process next time and goes it alone.

Also, if the Chiefs end up in Kansas, I’m not sure that’s all that bad of an outcome. With the speedway and shopping out there, the stadium utilizes all that space.

I’m wondering if there’s a secret plan B in which the Chiefs may have hoped this failed in order to tee up a better stadium proposal in a few years. Get KCMO to find the Royals and the Chiefs get to keep the full 0.375% tax or get KS to give them a better offer. Their proposed upgrades to Arrowhead were so lame and uninteresting they had to have some alternative in mind when they proposed luxury boxes and an AstroTurf fan area as a good use for $800,000,000

By the way- the Jackson County voters who like the status quo are naive and are never going to get their way over the long term… that site sucks and will be nothing more than industrial warehouse space once and if both teams leave.