Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

Rusty Irish wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:11 pm I keep seeing tweets from people saying they voted no but they don't mind the Royals Downtown just not in this rushed manner at the Crossroads. @DColeKC you think there is any possibilty they come back for a second stab at DT if it's no or it's then off to try Clay County or Kansas?
I feel a bit slighted at this point by the Mayor. I was told, well a group I was with in a meeting were told that there are other ways to get this site done without Jackson County being involved or this tax more specifically. However, we were also told that using condemnation would not be a problem if it were to be needed as a last resort, yet the Mayor recently said he would not use it. I'm starting to feel like we got played a bit by him.

I didn't get a great feeling that they'd want to try this vote again, but the next few days will interesting and I hope revealing if this vote fails.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Congratulations, Frank White.
KC is the way to be!
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I'm guessing we end up with a city owned or funded stadium.

County should sell Arrowhead to the Chiefs for $1 and let them remodel it with tax credit shenanigans like every other business gets..

I really want to see Arrowhead saved and baseball should be downtown. Suburban baseball is fucking stupid.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I thought it would fail but not by this much. The downtown stadium may be dead for good.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

GRID wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:56 pm I thought it would fail but not by this much. The downtown stadium may be dead for good.
I think it’s dead for good.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

This city is so fucked
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

From Q:

"The people of Kansas City and Jackson County love the Chiefs and the Royals. Today, they rejected plans and processes they found inadequate."

Can't say I disagree.

Not even sure EV would pass now without a major flip of the script, but think it would have if they had stuck with it from the get go. Too much bad press.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Less than 10% margin is enough that it can be moved. A lot of the KCMO, but especially the Urban KCMO votes could be swayed with some refinement, and an actual semi competent campaign. I’m disappointed with the outcome, but nothing that can’t be overcome. Let’s all keep motivated and optimistic, even though it wasn’t the answer most of us were hoping for. KC has steady and consistent forward progress, and we’ll eventually get there.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

grovester wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:04 pm From Q:

"The people of Kansas City and Jackson County love the Chiefs and the Royals. Today, they rejected plans and processes they found inadequate."

Can't say I disagree.

Not even sure EV would pass now without a major flip of the script, but think it would have if they had stuck with it from the get go. Too much bad press.
It wouldn't pass. Not her, EV, or Clay. The only shot is private funding + the state's help.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

What an ass kicking wow
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:37 pm Unless the polling is vastly different in East Village, I don’t see why the Royals would waste everyone’s time on doing a second vote with a margin this big. You’re not flipping 15-20k voters at another special election, it’s just not happening.
i personally don't believe this is true. it's impossible to overstate how poorly this campaign was run. they may choose not to try again, and they may not know how to do it better than they just did it (which is quite the indictment on the orgs if true, imo). but we've only had a soft commitment to not closing oak for like a week, no render of the proposal as amended, a contract with the crossroads for like a day... i'm sure i'm exaggerating a bit here but i'm close. this proposal was incomplete as of the vote. hard to believe that's not worth a big chunk of the margin by itself.

separately... i think the no coalition is weak. the only thing they have in common is they're mad. but not about the same things, or even consistent things. the orgs could dissect that and pick off several of them while also giving "concessions" (and a full cycle of endorsements, instead of one weekend's worth) necessary to demonstrate that they "heard" the feedback and have improved the proposal along lines x, y, z. and then everyone that voted no out of solidarity with the other mad people could say "well we did what we could..." before sheepishly voting to actually keep the orgs in town.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Moved here as an outsider and feel regardless of location there's an insurmountable car centric mentality that just can't be defeated. Makes me want to consider my options and start to look elsewhere. Reaction over the next few weeks is key but it's an uphill battle.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Is Jeff Roe done?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:07 pm Less than 10% margin is enough that it can be moved. A lot of the KCMO, but especially the Urban KCMO votes could be swayed with some refinement, and an actual semi competent campaign. I’m disappointed with the outcome, but nothing that can’t be overcome. Let’s all keep motivated and optimistic, even though it wasn’t the answer most of us were hoping for. KC has steady and consistent forward progress, and we’ll eventually get there.
Bwahahahahaha. 10%? There’s a 16 point margin. The Royals are gone. Chiefs probably wind up in Kansas if we are lucky.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Y'all best simmer down with the doomerism. Fuck me. Give it a little bit. You take a setback like this and act like it's the end of the world. And then some wonder why folks on the other side of the argument can't take the pro-downtown stadium folks seriously. I swear, negativity feeds off of negativity and that's on display here.

Royals have a pathway in the Crossroads:
- They reached that agreement with the neighborhood association and both parties signed it. Even though it would've gone into effect after a "yes" vote tonight, it's still a good thing to keep in hand and sign again later. It has a bunch of things in it folks wanted.
- They listened and agreed to keep Oak open. That was a major concern by many.
- They got an agreement with Resurrection Church to purchase the land owned by the Church and they can still buy the Printing Press. That leaves the other buildings fronting Grand.

All three were done too late to change the minds of voters.

What I'm saying here is to cool it. There are ways to get this done.

One such pathway is to scale back the vision of a mixed-use development to the east of the stadium and present a vision that preserves a lot of buildings, and businesses, over there. That would make some people happier. Additionally, putting out a vision for a stadium on just the 4 blocks that they can almost entirely buy tomorrow would show they're serious.

If you moved ahead with those options, you could hypothetically do the stadium without a sales tax revenue stream. Overall development costs would drop as a result of the reduced scope. All the revenue generated by the stadium, and smaller development, would go back to the team.

Let's see what transpires in the coming days and weeks. And knock it off with the doomerism.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

I was thinking this would bring them back to the table but with results like this it's more of a GTFO. To the Royals anyway
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

It’s not doomerism, the Royals didn’t want this to pass. They wanted an excuse to move. Kansas will throw every dollar from Garden City to Mission Hills at the Chiefs. This was generationally stupid.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

chingon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:16 pm It’s not doomerism, the Royals didn’t want this to pass. They wanted an excuse to move. Kansas will throw every dollar from Garden City to Mission Hills at the Chiefs. This was generationally stupid.
The Royals want to be downtown badly. They didn't try and fuck this up on purpose.