Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by moderne »

Should have made the new tax 5/16 instead of 3/8. Then could have claimed new tax that is less than old tax.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

moderne wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:02 pm Should have made the new tax 5/16 instead of 3/8. Then could have claimed new tax that is less than old tax.
They are not that smart.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

My 4 year-old will still be paying this tax when he's older than I am today.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:20 pm My 4 year-old will still be paying this tax when he's older than I am today.
Very assumptive of you to think your kid will forever live in Jackson County. ;)

I feel my kids will have greater concerns when they are adults. Paying a 3/8th cent sales tax will probably be near the bottom of the list. I'd rather them pay this and me have to explain why opposed to them not growing up with both a MLB and NFL team in KCMO.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Tbh that Chiefs proposal is so shitty and disappointing that I honestly think it would be better for them to go Kansas and actually get a real stadium setup that they deserve. Maybe that's a silver lining.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:44 pm Tbh that Chiefs proposal is so shitty and disappointing that I honestly think it would be better for them to go Kansas and actually get a real stadium setup that they deserve. Maybe that's a silver lining.
Do you think the vote is going to fail?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Metro wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:44 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:44 pm Tbh that Chiefs proposal is so shitty and disappointing that I honestly think it would be better for them to go Kansas and actually get a real stadium setup that they deserve. Maybe that's a silver lining.
I think it will pass. And I want it to pass so that we get the important part here (the Royals going downtown). But I just can't get over how pathetic than Chiefs proposal was. It's just downright embarrassing. Idc what DCole says, that proposal is shitty for everyone. It is totally unbefitting of a dynastic team with super-star celebrities like Mahomes & Kelce.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:46 pm
No I don't. And I want it to pass so that we get the important part here (the Royals going downtown). But I just can't get over how pathetic than Chiefs proposal was. It's just downright embarrassing. Idc what DCole says, that proposal is shitty for everyone.
Opinions are like....... I get it, some people wanted to change Arrowhead dramatically. As a long time STM, I don't want it changed too the point it doesn't feel like Arrowhead. I'm not saying the conceptual plans we saw are perfect. There are plenty of things I wanted and didn't see but I also know the plans we saw will change over the actual design phase. The only thing I'm very opposed to is a roof. That's on Arrowhead or a new stadium one day.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I think it will pass. And I want it to pass so that we get the important part here (the Royals going downtown). But I just can't get over how pathetic than Chiefs proposal was. It's just downright embarrassing. Idc what DCole says, that proposal is shitty for everyone. It is totally unbefitting of a dynastic team with super-star celebrities like Mahomes & Kelce.
I actually love how the renovation doesn't change the appearance of Arrowhead. The most recent renovation to Lambeau makes it look hideous. With Buffalo getting a new stadium, we have the only classic stadium left. Arrowhead is now the Wrigley or Fenway of the NFL. We are the stadium on every NFL fans bucket list.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

dnweava wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:55 pm

I actually love how the renovation doesn't change the appearance of Arrowhead. The most recent renovation to Lambeau makes it look hideous. With Buffalo getting a new stadium, we have the only classic stadium left. Arrowhead is now the Wrigley or Fenway of the NFL. We are the stadium on every NFL fans bucket list.
It's not even classic though. It's just concrete spiral staircases and an endless parking lot, all from the 60's. Lambeau atleast looks old. Ours looks old, but in that crappy suburban 70s way like the Oakland Colliseum is.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:10 pm

It's not even classic though. It's just concrete spiral staircases and an endless parking lot, all from the 60's. Lambeau atleast looks old. Ours looks old, but in that crappy suburban 70s way like the Oakland Colliseum is.
The curves of Arrowhead are so damn iconic and amazing looking. Saying it looks old/crappy and comparing it to the Oakland is maybe the most asinine thing I've ever seen on this board.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

I agree with you and part of the reason why I'm voting NO. this thing was rushed. Let's cut the BS hash out everything and submit it for a vote that will easily pass.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:15 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:10 pm

The curves of Arrowhead are so damn iconic and amazing looking. Saying it looks old/crappy and comparing it to the Oakland is maybe the most asinine thing I've ever seen on this board.
It's up there for sure.

Arrowhead is widely considered an icon amongst the vast majority of NFL fans. I'm sure some younger fans who like shiny, spaceship looking NFL stadiums don't like it and that's fine.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I knew comping it to Oakland was gonna drive ppl up a wall lol. Sorry, it's one of those things where only KC people see it that way. Nobody else does.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't think Arrowhead has quite the reputation people in KC think. Most people I talk to outside of KC just think it's kind of old and dated.

Sure it's a classic, but it's nothing special. Much of the world cup community is somewhat confused as to why the WC is being held there. Arrowhead does not really compare to most of the other stadiums.

It's the atmosphere that makes Arrowhead special. The tailgating and the loud fans.

The bottom line with this vote is the Chiefs went the "cheap" route. They know the stadium will need to be replaced within 25-30 years, which is why they are not putting that much into it and why they are only signing a 25 year lease (while the Royal's are signing a 40 year lease). They just don't want to put more money into it and don't want to go through what the Royals are going through.

It would be tough for KC (Jackson County) to build two new stadiums at the same time, so it's probably the best route. But it's odd they are funding a renovation with a 40 year tax when it's likely the Chiefs will be in a new stadium somewhere in under 30 years.
Last edited by GRID on Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

I think you’re overstating some of these opinions from much of the World Cup “Community”.

Also, the “people I talk to outside of KC”. I think you have an opinion then try to cobble phantom support to back it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Imarealperson wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:50 pm I think you’re overstating some of these opinions from much of the World Cup “Community”.

Also, the “people I talk to outside of KC”. I think you have an opinion then try to cobble phantom support to back it.
Huh? I agree it's a classic, but it's also dated at the same time. The renovations are not good enough to really give the stadium a modern feel IMO. The press box looks like an add on etc. They could have done something more with the exterior and kept the bowl nearly un-touched.

But then you are going to be getting into 1.5 billion range rather than 800 million and I'm not sure it makes sense to put that much into Arrowhead when you are approaching the cost of a new stadium. Obviously the Chiefs don't think so.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

How’s it constantly make the top 3 “bucket list” stadiums on every single list that comes out if it’s just a “KC” thing? I could take an hour and share 10 links to these types of national fan voted polls but it’s a moot point. Here’s just one.

https://10best.usatoday.com/awards/trav ... dium-2023/
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

bspecht wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:44 pm "Crossroads Community Association and @Royals sign Agreement to address stadium proposal."
https://twitter.com/KCCrossroads/status ... 8706216966
https://kccrossroads.org/proposed-baseball-stadium/
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YHDCPd ... VOjLd/view
Thanks for sharing. That was the last thing I was holding out for.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:12 pm How’s it constantly make the top 3 “bucket list” stadiums on every single list that comes out if it’s just a “KC” thing? I could take an hour and share 10 links to these types of national fan voted polls but it’s a moot point. Here’s just one.

https://10best.usatoday.com/awards/trav ... dium-2023/
I'll be the first to say that Arrowhead is a destination for NFL fans. But it's not because of the stadium itself. It's the whole experience.

Having been to many NFL stadiums, going to a game in KC is just different. I guess it's more like a college game? I'm not sure because I have never been to a major college game. But I find games in many NFL stadiums to be "boring" compared to KC.

But honestly, I can say the same thing about the Royals When the Royals are good and the stadium is sold out, Kauffman becomes one of the best venues in MLB to watch a game. KC sports fans seem to get into games more than most places.

I was at the home opener in DC yesterday and the atmosphere was nothing compared to some regular season games in KC. KC just takes sports more seriously or something.

I think if the Chiefs moved to a new stadium, it would not become "sterile" like you see in many cities. KC is not a corporate type of town where half the fans are just there to be there and got tickets through work or something. I think the fans would bring the same atmosphere to a new stadium. Which is why I think the Downtown stadium for the royals will be amazing once it finally happens.