OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by bspecht »

North span came down today, not looking like any resuse.
https://twitter.com/WagsPhoto/status/17 ... 5454132333
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

still could be time for the other two spans though right?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I hadn't read that was happening this morning, and the huge explosion was a little startling. Kinda still on edge from yesterday I guess.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:59 pm still could be time for the other two spans though right?
Sure, they could – unclear the likelihood, RFP closed Jan 3.

North span needed timely removal to complete the future northbound lanes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The city manager tweeted out about a month ago looking at using them over the 670 cap.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Wasn't the plan all along for the northernmost span to be demo'd, even if the bridge was staying? I didn't think they could make the connection from the new bridge to 169 north of the river with the old span in place.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

shaffe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:01 pm Wasn't the plan all along for the northernmost span to be demo'd, even if the bridge was staying? I didn't think they could make the connection from the new bridge to 169 north of the river with the old span in place.
You are correct. Even the renderings of it turned into a park showed that span gone
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Time to paint the historic Hannibal bridge, now that it is going to be so much more visible.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

MODOT has uploaded many project photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/38170157@ ... 3531912280
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Still, it makes me sad to see that bridge go. I always loved driving towards and over it.

https://kchistory.org/image/broadway-br ... fset%5D=18

https://kchistory.org/image/broadway-br ... ffset%5D=2
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

South approach ramp almost gone. This end of RM going to look a lot different with new open space and Atlas. Anyone seen any details of the pedestrian walkway? Will it only be accessed at 5th St, or will there also be a stairs or ramp further down?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Anyone seen the 119th ST bridge over I-35 in Olathe, and the lighting system they incorporated into that? I don’t imagine the Airport would take kindly to a large amount of bridge lighting that close to the runway, but I’d also see this as an easy way to dress up an otherwise unsightly and grotesque bridge.

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

What I’ve been told is that the airport nixed decorative lights because they didn’t want anyone thinking the bridge was a runway

Maybe there’s some kinetic sculpture capturing the wind that could make the bridge more attractive?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:04 pm What I’ve been told is that the airport nixed decorative lights because they didn’t want anyone thinking the bridge was a runway

Maybe there’s some kinetic sculpture capturing the wind that could make the bridge more attractive?
Oh man, I was thinking the bridge would have at least the minimal light posts shown in the renderings (what appear to be along the pedestrian path). Has something changed since then, or are you referring to a more elaborate lighting scheme that was considered?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:45 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:04 pm What I’ve been told is that the airport nixed decorative lights because they didn’t want anyone thinking the bridge was a runway

Oh man, I was thinking the bridge would have at least the minimal light posts shown in the renderings (what appear to be along the pedestrian path). Has something changed since then, or are you referring to a more elaborate lighting scheme that was considered?
More elaborate lighting
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

“This is the second of three blasts taking place to bring down the entire bridge.”

Buck O'Neil Bridge second blast will take place the week of April 1-5 https://www.modot.org/node/44319
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Middle arch now lying in river. Time running out to salvage remaining arch.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Probably the wrong spot for this but didn't they recently open the southbound I-35 entrance off the north loop at the south end of the Buck O'Neil Bridge? I swore I drove this just a few weeks ago. I was coming back from the northland yesterday and decided to go this direction because it's generally faster than going through downtown after coming across the HOA bridge. Closed again. Ended up in KCK yet again and had to backtrack to Broadway. Just close down the North Loop already. Every highway in DT KC was pretty busy at the time but practically nobody on the north loop. Not even sure why I-70 is routed this direction. Why not route I-70 over what is now 670 and save the 670 moniker for the North Loop and Intercity Viaduct.

Sorry for the rant but while I'm here, are there any plans to reopen the Kansas Avenue and Central Bridges over the Kansas River? Need to get our collective acts together in terms of infrastructure.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Highlander wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:19 am Probably the wrong spot for this but didn't they recently open the southbound I-35 entrance off the north loop at the south end of the Buck O'Neil Bridge? I swore I drove this just a few weeks ago. I was coming back from the northland yesterday and decided to go this direction because it's generally faster than going through downtown after coming across the HOA bridge. Closed again. Ended up in KCK yet again and had to backtrack to Broadway. Just close down the North Loop already. Every highway in DT KC was pretty busy at the time but practically nobody on the north loop. Not even sure why I-70 is routed this direction. Why not route I-70 over what is now 670 and save the 670 moniker for the North Loop and Intercity Viaduct.

Sorry for the rant but while I'm here, are there any plans to reopen the Kansas Avenue and Central Bridges over the Kansas River? Need to get our collective acts together in terms of infrastructure.
Regarding North Loop, I was told by an individual with power here that the goal is to make driving on the North Loop harder throughout this construction phase, and even after construction ends, in order to get support up for removing it. The short distance between entrance and exit ramps makes this highway a hazard. Everything with the new bridge is designed to remove the North Loop far easier.

Wyandotte County doesn’t feel there’s a need to rebuild those bridges yet. They should, but not until the West Bottoms builds up a bit