Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:36 pm I'm seeing about 80% negative (no) support online, but the opposition is always the loudest group. It's going to be very tight.
I have seen an increase in the Yes Votes speaking out on social media - but they are still in the minority. They commonly get the angry/laughing face as a response though. And some of the Save the Kaufman crowd seems reconciled to the fact that the Royals tenure at Kaufman will be coming to an end one way or another - but many are still defiant and will vote no out of anger more than anything else.

I wish more people would tackle the inaccuracies on social media. You would believe the entire Crossroads community was going to be torn down from reading many of the posts. Today, more specifically, someone said that Messengers Coffee would be torn down which I believe is inaccurate. I heard last week while waiting for the street car in the River Market that the street car would no longer be free if the Royals moved downtown. There's lot of nonsense floating around that people believe. Parking and Traffic remain foremost concerns on social media with many suggesting downtown is the most congested part of the metro already which is laughable.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:31 pm It's anything but a zero percent chance. Royals are the third smallest media market in the second smallest metro in baseball. There are far more lucrative places the owners could take the franchise and they will do just that if the franchise becomes a drain on their resources. In fact, the only argument that would give me pause to funding the stadium is the real possibility that the Royals would exit KC in the next 10-30 years, even with a new stadium. Sherman is not a spring chicken.
There’s been 1 MLB relocation in the last 50 years. If teams with shitty stadiums like Tampa and Oakland (in Oaklands case, literally) have a hard time relocating, it’d be impossible for KC to relocate. There’s too much money in franchise fees for owners to let relocation take it. It’s pure conjecture and fear mongering to suggest it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:59 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:31 pm It's anything but a zero percent chance. Royals are the third smallest media market in the second smallest metro in baseball. There are far more lucrative places the owners could take the franchise and they will do just that if the franchise becomes a drain on their resources. In fact, the only argument that would give me pause to funding the stadium is the real possibility that the Royals would exit KC in the next 10-30 years, even with a new stadium. Sherman is not a spring chicken.
There’s been 1 MLB relocation in the last 50 years. If teams with shitty stadiums like Tampa and Oakland (in Oaklands case, literally) have a hard time relocating, it’d be impossible for KC to relocate. There’s too much money in franchise fees for owners to let relocation take it. It’s pure conjecture and fear mongering to suggest it.
As demographics change in this country, pro sport franchises will follow whether by expansions or established teams moving. It will happen. It's not conjecture or fear mongering. Just economics.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The Mayor is now on record saying he doesn't want this project to come across Oak Street at all. He is also saying he doesn't even think they should build any kind of entertainment, restaurant or bars as there are already plenty in the area.

Two things are interesting about this:
1. This is a complete change of position on his part, which is fine. He's supposed to hear concerns from taxpayers and adjust.
2. This would cut down on the Royals investment as their billion dollar claim was mostly tied up in the anciliary development.

So he's talking about just smashing in a stadium and calling it a day.

I don't know what to think about that at this point.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I also doubt the mayor would come out and publicity say that if he didn't already know the royals were changing the plans to incorporate oak.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:49 pm The Mayor is now on record saying he doesn't want this project to come across Oak Street at all. He is also saying he doesn't even think they should build any kind of entertainment, restaurant or bars as there are already plenty in the area.

Two things are interesting about this:
1. This is a complete change of position on his part, which is fine. He's supposed to hear concerns from taxpayers and adjust.
2. This would cut down on the Royals investment as their billion dollar claim was mostly tied up in the anciliary development.

So he's talking about just smashing in a stadium and calling it a day.

I don't know what to think about that at this point.
He's already subsidizing a convention center hotel and entertainment district. He's trying to save money by decreasing subsidizes. I think they also know they're on the edge of losing this vote and are trying to grab as many yes votes as possible. There might be some push back on the funding piece from the city so the pared down stadium would cut that expenditure amount with a smaller development. If they can keep Oak open, just tear down KC Star/Rez/KobiQ block and get the interstate block that's probably a good add. That's going to be a small stadium in a small space!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:18 pm I also doubt the mayor would come out and publicity say that if he didn't already know the royals were changing the plans to incorporate oak.
The Oak change is not a shock in the least bit. Makes sense. It's the idea that the Royals don't need to build anything else besides a stadium that's a major change for him.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:24 pm
dnweava wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:18 pm I also doubt the mayor would come out and publicity say that if he didn't already know the royals were changing the plans to incorporate oak.
The Oak change is not a shock in the least bit. Makes sense. It's the idea that the Royals don't need to build anything else besides a stadium that's a major change for him.
Where did you read this? On his Facebook Live it didn't seem to indicate nothing should come across Oak, more that the Royals should look at not just a pure tear down everything and rebuild new?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:52 pm
Where did you read this? On his Facebook Live it didn't seem to indicate nothing should come across Oak, more that the Royals should look at not just a pure tear down everything and rebuild new?
There's an article in The Star tonight.

“I don’t know why you need in some ways a new entertainment district or something of that sort on the east side of Oak, when you have an entertainment district, frankly, kind of all around you,” he said. “I think one concern or challenge that I have had throughout this process is that we haven’t actually had that conversation in connection with it enough.”

One thing he told the owner of Green Dirt Farms was, “When we met with the mayor yesterday and showed him our building and showed him all of the investment that we’ve made in this building, and in this community, he reiterated that same point, that he was going to do everything in his power to prevent them from closing Oak Street,” she said. “So that gave us some hope.”
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Well, I guess I don't have to keep asking if all the surrounding development will open with the stadium anymore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:57 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:52 pm

There's an article in The Star tonight.

“I don’t know why you need in some ways a new entertainment district or something of that sort on the east side of Oak, when you have an entertainment district, frankly, kind of all around you,” he said. “I think one concern or challenge that I have had throughout this process is that we haven’t actually had that conversation in connection with it enough.”

One thing he told the owner of Green Dirt Farms was, “When we met with the mayor yesterday and showed him our building and showed him all of the investment that we’ve made in this building, and in this community, he reiterated that same point, that he was going to do everything in his power to prevent them from closing Oak Street,” she said. “So that gave us some hope.”
I don't take that to mean he thinks nothing should be done east of oak I don't think that's even realistic with this plan
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:37 pm I don't take that to mean he thinks nothing should be done east of oak I don't think that's even realistic with this plan
I thought the whole point of the Royals downtown for them was generating additional revenue through their own development that would fund team development. If there isn't any, how do they generate that additional revenue?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that's why I don't think he meant nothing in that quote.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Saving a couple buildings east of Oak doesn't prevent the Royals from building Hotels and Apartment buildings over there, I don't see what the big deal is. You could save half the buildings on Oak, save the fire station, and still fit 10+ one light size buildings between Oak/Cherry/Truman/17th
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:41 pm Saving a couple buildings east of Oak doesn't prevent the Royals from building Hotels and Apartment buildings over there, I don't see what the big deal is. You could save half the buildings on Oak, save the fire station, and still fit 10+ one light size buildings between Oak/Cherry/Truman/17th
I'm actually liking the fact they'll build less but I'm also wondering how they'll generate additional revenue.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:47 pm
dnweava wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:41 pm Saving a couple buildings east of Oak doesn't prevent the Royals from building Hotels and Apartment buildings over there, I don't see what the big deal is. You could save half the buildings on Oak, save the fire station, and still fit 10+ one light size buildings between Oak/Cherry/Truman/17th
I'm actually liking the fact they'll build less but I'm also wondering how they'll generate additional revenue.
Higher attendance and year-round rent paying tenants in their commercial spaces are more than they have now.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:56 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:47 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:37 pm
I don't know if EV comes back, but I would feel reasonably confident that the Royals end up in JaxCo.

I wouldn't say the same about the Chiefs.
Maybe someone can explain to me why a state-of-the-art Kansas-side Chiefs stadium that could potentially bring a Super Bowl without cost to Jackson County would be so much worse than the fresh paint and drapes proposal that we have now?

Royals don't make sense anywhere else but downtown. That's why I don't know why we feel we have to shower them with money to do what's best for them.
Because we have one of the most historical stadiums that has aged well in comparison to those who have been torn down over the years. The idea of building a new flashy, modern stadium and abandoning something as Iconic at Arrowhead to maybe, possibly get one Super Bowl is crazy.

The issue with the K is it's location, Arrowhead doesn't have the same problem.
If the Royals were smart they would de-couple the K from their ask for a tax to support a downtown stadium plan. The "Save the K" crowd would instantly be mooted if there was no indication that the K was "Going away". The county preparing a demo RFP and the Royals indicating that the K will face demolition regardless of the vote were idiotic moves to win a vote.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

im2kull wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:33 pm If the Royals were smart they would de-couple the K from their ask for a tax to support a downtown stadium plan. The "Save the K" crowd would instantly be mooted if there was no indication that the K was "Going away". The county preparing a demo RFP and the Royals indicating that the K will face demolition regardless of the vote were idiotic moves to win a vote.
Why would we keep the K if we have a downtown ballpark?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:39 pm
im2kull wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:33 pm If the Royals were smart they would de-couple the K from their ask for a tax to support a downtown stadium plan. The "Save the K" crowd would instantly be mooted if there was no indication that the K was "Going away". The county preparing a demo RFP and the Royals indicating that the K will face demolition regardless of the vote were idiotic moves to win a vote.
Why would we keep the K if we have a downtown ballpark?
The impression I get from Kull's post is that if they had to do this again, squash any indication that a demise is imminent for the K. Make the sales pitch solely for a new stadium and leave the discussion for what happens to K for a later time.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:47 pm
Higher attendance and year-round rent paying tenants in their commercial spaces are more than they have now.
The higher attendance bump from a new stadium wears off after 4 to 5 years and proceeds to drop down to a level of attendance of before. And any rental income from surrounding area may not be as higher as the parking revenues the team will be giving up. A parking garage controlled by the team will likely be requested before much of the surrounding area is developed.