Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
10%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
22%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
13%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
12%
City/County Wide Rail Project
36%
Other
8%

Total votes: 111

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Post by DaveKCMO »

rxlexi wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:45 pm
langosta wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:24 pm Time to think about dedicated row transit into and around downtown?
Worth discussing. I worry for the streetcar if/when Royals and 670 park happen downtown.
That’s literally the NEPA comment from streetcar.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:58 pm
rxlexi wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:45 pm
langosta wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:24 pm Time to think about dedicated row transit into and around downtown?
Worth discussing. I worry for the streetcar if/when Royals and 670 park happen downtown.
That’s literally the NEPA comment from streetcar.
Should we consider alternatives to Main Street through downtown? I mean frankly it wasn’t working pre-Covid and I expect it to continue to not work with or without the stadium. Much of the causes being active traffic control which I guess could be made better. Still, I wonder if an eventual rebuild or bypass line on Grand isn’t inevitable.

An idea would be to run northland rail down grand or locust to US, connect Independence Avenue similarly. Have any JoCo line also come up grand
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Could see 18th and Vine streetcar get to a study in not long. Talks are starting to heat up. Funding Funding Funding is the limiting factor. Cost estimates for North Rail and E/W have spiraled out of control.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:52 am Could see 18th and Vine streetcar get to a study in not long. Talks are starting to heat up. Funding Funding Funding is the limiting factor. Cost estimates for North Rail and E/W have spiraled out of control.
It would likely have to run to at least Prospect to be useful, about 2 miles from Main. There is a LOT of light industrial land use east of Woodland that would hinder any streetcar proposal. That hasn't changed at all since NextRail, but changes are moving in that direction.

On a technical level, the starter line was not designed to have a connection at 18th so there will need to be an expensive tie-in there. The city is also planning bumpouts east of Main that will make the street two lanes (adding to the bike lane and 18th & Vine traffic restrictions planned for the pedestrian plaza).
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

langosta wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:52 am Could see 18th and Vine streetcar get to a study in not long. Talks are starting to heat up. Funding Funding Funding is the limiting factor. Cost estimates for North Rail and E/W have spiraled out of control.
What quarters are these talks heating up in? I'm still unsure what funding for Linwood E/W is going to look like, are they trying to get a shovel ready plan for 18th street too so some kind of city/county vote would cover funding for both?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:29 pm
What quarters are these talks heating up in? I'm still unsure what funding for Linwood E/W is going to look like, are they trying to get a shovel ready plan for 18th street too so some kind of city/county vote would cover funding for both?
I've attended one meeting. There isn't a real plan yet, just conversation, so no one should get their hopes up before E/W advances a funding plan.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

St Louis is hitting the 1 year under construction mark on their 5 mile extension to Mid America airport. 5+ miles for $98 million. Mostly just unused land that was graded with a few bridge works. I think this can help serve as an example of how to do Waldo on a budget

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/gov ... 65e86.html
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

langosta wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:57 am St Louis is hitting the 1 year under construction mark on their 5 mile extension to Mid America airport. 5+ miles for $98 million. Mostly just unused land that was graded with a few bridge works. I think this can help serve as an example of how to do Waldo on a budget

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/gov ... 65e86.html
Top speed is 60-70MPH. Photos of the work show their project is significantly more involved than a Waldo extension would be. Even given inflation, waldo could be done for $20-30 million a mile.

cutting over a lake or pond

building bridges over roadways

Map

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

It really is wild how low density the IL side metrolink line is. This expansion seems like an easy call though, they're already so close to that airport.

The only thing with Waldo is how much utility relocation would cost. I'm not an expert, but given the track would be in a dedicated right of way and not on roadbed, agree that surely it would be much less than the previous segments.