OFFICIAL - East Village

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - East Village

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:38 am
langosta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:24 am I think a more rectangular stadium for a team that will need new digs in about 15-25 years
No. done with stadiums here. Let's build something
I’m all for building something tomorrow but suspect it will stay empty for a long long time
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

langosta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:42 am
langosta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:24 am I think a more rectangular stadium for a team that will need new digs in about 15-25 years
I’m all for building something tomorrow but suspect it will stay empty for a long long time
DNA should make this a priority at city hall to get these lots turned over to developers and moving.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Feel free to get inspired by the ULI Hines student competition submissions:
bspecht wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:28 pm Presentations: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... d3swjpZm_l
Last edited by bspecht on Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:47 am

DNA should make this a priority at city hall to get these lots turned over to developers and moving.
I do like your idea for a Quality Hill esque development. Wonder if the city can seed this with with 4-8 floor smaller for sale buildings as a piece of their affordable and city employee housing plans. Would need to bring in a few retail and restaurant offerings early as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

langosta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:51 am

I do like your idea for a Quality Hill esque development. Wonder if the city can seed this with with 4-8 floor smaller for sale buildings as a piece of their affordable and city employee housing plans. Would need to bring in a few retail and restaurant offerings early as well.
There seems to be a lot of interest in rowhouse type of development to buy but it's hard for individual developers to get financing/permitting on it so that to me is something the city could step in and help seed.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:02 am
langosta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:51 am

There seems to be a lot of interest in rowhouse type of development to buy but it's hard for individual developers to get financing/permitting on it so that to me is something the city could step in and help seed.
Given current status, wonder if city can come in a blanket rezone EV + Paseo west to support this use case. Remove lot size and setback requirements, allows mixed use, bump FAR up as needed, single stair when sprinkled, etc.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I looked back at an old post I did on the various possible Royals sites a couple of years ago, and to get the area east of Oak inside the loop to match the density of the area west of Oak that it would need to add approximately 2,500 residents. Not saying this is a likelihood or a possibility, just an FYI.

KCDowntown
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The Georgia Tech/ULI plan from 2021 was interesting

https://americas.uli.org/2021-uli-hines ... echnology/

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:02 am
I think rowhouse type housing would be a good fit for the area. Could be a mixture of single family one room wide to two room wide with alleys in back for off'street parking/garages and small backyards. Can also have some limited service businesses for residents.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Just put back what was there 100 years ago. Fine grained density.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

It would be great if this area focused on residential of various types and some office development. This is the perfect area to skip the retail. We have plenty of retail downtown and plenty of retail capacity. We can’t keep making several small, self serving pockets that discourage residents from getting out of their own hood.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:38 am It would be great if this area focused on residential of various types and some office development. This is the perfect area to skip the retail. We have plenty of retail downtown and plenty of retail capacity. We can’t keep making several small, self serving pockets that discourage residents from getting out of their own hood.
That’s not how you build neighborhoods…
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

East Village doesn't need to be loaded with retail and restaurant space, but a handful of small corner spaces for neighborhood amenities (neighborhood bar, a small bank, bakery, clothing store, neighborhood market, etc) would be ideal.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:12 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:38 am It would be great if this area focused on residential of various types and some office development. This is the perfect area to skip the retail. We have plenty of retail downtown and plenty of retail capacity. We can’t keep making several small, self serving pockets that discourage residents from getting out of their own hood.
But it IS how you pad cordish’s profit margins
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:54 am
At least he's consistent on where his loyalty lies!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

My only thought for East Village: Build a luxury highrise, give the three story penthouse to Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce, watch the surrounding development happen.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:49 am East Village doesn't need to be loaded with retail and restaurant space, but a handful of small corner spaces for neighborhood amenities (neighborhood bar, a small bank, bakery, clothing store, neighborhood market, etc) would be ideal.
Where is the nearest Dry cleaners? Considering the proximity to the Gov district, that could be an easy business to attract customers from the surrounds consistently
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I’m not saying zero retail but the idea of making it so convenient that there’s no reason to leave is problematic. Of course some smaller retail bays makes sense here and there but downtown has laid the foundation here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:54 am
You people always think I’m thinking about Cordish with my comments. Seriously fuck off. I’ve been a resident for 15 years and I’ve been an active part of downtowns development for all of that time as well. I’m capable of having opinions that aren’t all about what’s in Cordish’s best interest. Fuckin hell.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:35 pm
I’m not saying zero retail but the idea of making it so convenient that there’s no reason to leave is problematic. Of course some smaller retail bays makes sense here and there but downtown has laid the foundation here.
Apologies, but when you say skip the retail, the assumption is that you’re advocating for zero retail. Just working off what you had said