Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:58 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:09 pm I'll go to my grave that the EV location could have been built out just like EC is proposed and it would have fed the P&L. I've seen people walk a mile to get to a KC Current NWSL game, you can't tell me they wouldn't walk to EV to/from a game. It's water under the bridge at this point.

Someday when we finally release the EV land and let someone build there, it may help prove my opinion.
We will never agree on this and it's certainly water under the bridge, but comparing people's willingness to walk to the first ever NWSL game held at a purpose built stadium for women soccer isn't a great comparison. It wasn't just about the distance, which was a major barrier but it was about the fact that East Village would have been it's own, new area. Not an addition to Crossroads or PNL but a brand new "Village" that would have things built to contain and retain guests, ideally keeping them at the village. It would have been a disaster.

The east crossroads location isn't just better simply due to proximity but also in design. It won't be designed as it's own isolated area, but built to try and fit in day one to it's surroundings while doing the least amount of damage to existing businesses downtown.
This isn't what I said. I said built just like the EC is proposed. The royals isn't a purpose built stadium? Oh no!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:51 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:09 pm I'll go to my grave that the EV location could have been built out just like EC is proposed and it would have fed the P&L. I've seen people walk a mile to get to a KC Current NWSL game, you can't tell me they wouldn't walk to EV to/from a game. It's water under the bridge at this point.

Someday when we finally release the EV land and let someone build there, it may help prove my opinion.
We will never agree on this and it's certainly water under the bridge, but comparing people's willingness to walk to the first ever NWSL game held at a purpose built stadium for women soccer isn't a great comparison. It wasn't just about the distance, which was a major barrier but it was about the fact that East Village would have been it's own, new area. Not an addition to Crossroads or PNL but a brand new "Village" that would have things built to contain and retain guests, ideally keeping them at the village. It would have been a disaster.

The east crossroads location isn't just better simply due to proximity but also in design. It won't be designed as it's own isolated area, but built to try and fit in day one to it's surroundings while doing the least amount of damage to existing businesses downtown.
This isn't what I said. I said built just like the EC is proposed. The royals isn't a purpose built stadium? Oh no!
Fair enough.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

That’s not what the Royals proposed for EV though. The renderings released back then (EV vs NKC) were hotel, office and retail spaces if I remember right. Not a bar district to compete with PnL.

The Current stadium is also Exhibit A of “its own new area” secluded on the riverfront. 11k people found a way without sufficient parking to get to the game. No reason to think an extra block of walking would have prevented them from walking from PnL to EV and back.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

droopy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:07 pm That’s not what the Royals proposed for EV though. The renderings released back then (EV vs NKC) were hotel, office and retail spaces if I remember right. Not a bar district to compete with PnL.

The Current stadium is also Exhibit A of “its own new area” secluded on the riverfront. 11k people found a way without sufficient parking to get to the game. No reason to think an extra block of walking would have prevented them from walking from PnL to EV and back.
Current stadium is not its own new area. It's part of a huge master development that's been in progress for years with Berkley Riverfront with so much more to come.

As for what was proposed at EV, it's not all about how the renderings look. It's about how it was planned to be operated.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:45 pm
grovester wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:34 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:39 pm How the hell did we get this far down the line -- including another round of demolition and displacement in EV itself -- before EV was "suddenly" ruled out? The feds don't control land use and there are lots of federal facilities next to more dangerous things. That also doesn't bode well for the marketing of EV alternatives. Will they allow towers? Are any of the ULI concepts allowable, for example?
Totally bogus.

Someone wanted it in EC and made it happen.

Everything else is cover.
That's only part of the story. Of course the Mayor, City Manager, Cordish, Downtown Council and others wanted it in East Crossroads but there were enough complexities with East Village that made it an easy decision for the Royals. It's not as simple as some big swinging dick wanted it somewhere else, therefore it's going somewhere else.
We know it’s several swinging dicks.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:08 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:36 pm That Northloop site looks a lot smaller?
Six square blocks. More than East Crossroads, and that's what makes me mad. It was dismissed for being "too small" and then they chose something smaller.
I don’t think there are 6 square blocks of open contiguous land in the north loop. Are you counting the interstate? Getting that closed down is such a major jump up you can’t count that as empty land.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:17 pm

Totally bogus.

That's only part of the story. Of course the Mayor, City Manager, Cordish, Downtown Council and others wanted it in East Crossroads but there were enough complexities with East Village that made it an easy decision for the Royals. It's not as simple as some big swinging dick wanted it somewhere else, therefore it's going somewhere else.
Don't act like the crossroads community association hasn't swung a bit of dick too. We all know this is how the bread is made.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

langosta wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:19 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:36 pm That Northloop site looks a lot smaller?
Six square blocks. More than East Crossroads, and that's what makes me mad. It was dismissed for being "too small" and then they chose something smaller.
I don’t think there are 6 square blocks of open contiguous land in the north loop. Are you counting the interstate? Getting that closed down is such a major jump up you can’t count that as empty land.
Central to Main, 6th to 8th. Six blocks. Two more than EC.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

"Architects and consultants lay out parking and traffic plan for downtown Royals stadium:"

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ar ... chQ1JHB2EI
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Highlander wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:54 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:39 pm How the hell did we get this far down the line -- including another round of demolition and displacement in EV itself -- before EV was "suddenly" ruled out? The feds don't control land use and there are lots of federal facilities next to more dangerous things. That also doesn't bode well for the marketing of EV alternatives. Will they allow towers? Are any of the ULI concepts allowable, for example?
Totally bogus.

The EC location, however, is a significantly better location in every aspect except for the empty status of the East Village land. In every other way, EC is the better location and it will complement rather than compete with another existing KC private/public investment in the P&L District. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the players involved conspired to make it happen. That's what should have happened.
You're ignoring the obvious impact on the existing fabric, which doesn't exist in EV.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

It'll be designed that way, but it won't work. It will turn EC into a ballpark district which is always mediocre.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:28 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:19 pm
Central to Main, 6th to 8th. Six blocks. Two more than EC.
Are the blocks identical size, and identical to the blocks at the crossroads site?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

grovester wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:02 pm Tie in polling.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/st ... -sales-tax
I have a feeling that if it passes, it'll be narrow. If it fails, it'll be narrow. It won't be a blowout either way.

If the measure narrowly fails, it'll probably return later on.

If the measure narrowly passes, opponents to the measure will likely organize to push for a new vote on the issue or sue like no tomorrow.

It'll be nasty.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Any lawsuit would be tossed. Waste of money. I predict is will pass and I'm guessing 57%
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:10 pm

I have a feeling that if it passes, it'll be narrow. If it fails, it'll be narrow. It won't be a blowout either way.

If the measure narrowly fails, it'll probably return later on.

If the measure narrowly passes, opponents to the measure will likely organize to push for a new vote on the issue or sue like no tomorrow.

It'll be nasty.
I agree, as it should be, the execution to date has been brutish and nasty.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:20 pm Any lawsuit would be tossed. Waste of money. I predict is will pass and I'm guessing 57%
I think you're spot on with that percentage.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:23 pm

Don't act like the crossroads community association hasn't swung a bit of dick too. We all know this is how the bread is made.
LOL. A group of volunteers versus a major league franchise? STFU.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

4.5% margin of error? Don't ask for the crosstabs...
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:38 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:23 pm

LOL. A group of volunteers versus a major league franchise? STFU.
Oh I didn't want to mention who's was bigger. Was trying to be polite.