Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by bspecht »

Royals EVP says they will be subsidizing relocation costs, new leases, tenant improvements & other employee needs for affected Crossroads businesses. https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-cit ... l/60259017
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:32 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:23 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:16 pm

People have unreasonably high expectations. Maybe they’ve agreed to terms but each sides lawyers are converting it into a legally binding agreement? Maybe they’ve agreed to the total dollar figure but need to decide on allocation totals per specific section.

The largest CBA in MLB is skipped over for WHerEs ThE DOCuMeNt!
You don't see a theme here? this is nothing but air at this point just like the "we're spending $1.3B, trust us". You have an extremely low bar for what people should just roll over and accept when voting to tax themselves. It's just leading to more no votes.
Maybe the reason you haven’t got your document is because they are sick of hearing “there is nothing but air”. Announcing you’ve reached an agreement isn’t the same thing as having a final executed, legally binding agreement.
Obviously. Where is the other side they have agreed with confirming this agreement? Even that would help voters. I don't understand why you get so angry with something you aren't in charge of figuring out. These are valid questions voters want answers to, we should be pushing the Royals to get it done, not giving them excuses.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

See, that's not so hard. Much better.

Where does the Crossroads neighborhood association agreement get finalized? Isn't that where the Royals committed to reimbursing displaced businesses?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:50 pm See, that's not so hard. Much better.

Where does the Crossroads neighborhood association agreement get finalized? Isn't that where the Royals committed to reimbursing displaced businesses?
This was my point. Have just a least bit of patience.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bspecht wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:04 pm Royals EVP says they will be subsidizing relocation costs, new leases, tenant improvements & other employee needs for affected Crossroads businesses. https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-cit ... l/60259017
Gloves are all the way off on Frank White. He’s had two years to engage, he can shut up now.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:55 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:50 pm See, that's not so hard. Much better.

I simply asked where the documentation was and you came back saying that was too high of expectations, lol.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:04 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:55 pm

I simply asked where the documentation was and you came back saying that was too high of expectations, lol.
A few members of the media said there was an agreement and within 8 minutes you’re criticizing the royals for not releasing the documents. The didn’t even make an official announcement.

“JFC, these guys aren’t making it any easier on themselves” is what you said I believe. I think wanting to see documents before they have even announced anything is a very high expectation. I get that it appears the Royals have botched some aspects of this but come on man!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Simply not accurate. They announced it themselves at 2pm and my post was not 8 minutes later. Even Sam stated it didn't come with a document funning on them. Yes I did say they aren't making it easy on themselves. They weren't. They fixed it. Good for them getting it out there through Manny. Moving on. Where is the agreement with the neighborhood association? People are voting today. They are rushing to vote no. Getting info out there is important starting right now.
https://twitter.com/SamMcDowell11/statu ... 0784421327
https://twitter.com/bobfescoe/status/17 ... 5162900913

We're on the same side of this but all you want to do is fight and cover for them for some reason, it's very weird.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:19 pm Where is the agreement with the neighborhood association?
https://twitter.com/KCCrossroads/status ... 5768370508
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bspecht wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:19 pm Where is the agreement with the neighborhood association?
https://twitter.com/KCCrossroads/status ... 5768370508
I like it. Get this stuff out there, I'm more excited for this than the other CBA because this is what is really impacting the neighborhood.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:19 pm We're on the same side of this but all you want to do is fight and cover for them for some reason, it's very weird.
lol did i miss the dictionary people coming out with a new definition of weird?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Of note, the team hasn't signed off on the Crossroads deal and their new general counsel (what happened to Adam Sachs?!?!) is all over this making sure it sounds like a commitment but really isn't. You want the tea? I've got it.

So much pressure to execute something, even if vaporware, before April 2.

And the silence from City Hall is deafening...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:42 pm And the silence from City Hall is deafening...
Isn't that the truth! Radio silence on all issues.

At first I read the document above as "proposed BY the Royals" and was thinking that it was a great list and a positive new direction for the Royals. Overall, this whole process has been massively rushed and fumbled... and I don't know why? Why this election? Better to get all this right than flub it up with a bad or not-thought-out proposal.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:01 pm The CBA is like a person robbing a bank of gold and then giving a bar to the security guard on the way out to look the other way.
The teams are asking for tax dollars, just the cost of doing business with tax dollars. Of course if the teams financed on their own no need for these agreements.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:39 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:01 pm The CBA is like a person robbing a bank of gold and then giving a bar to the security guard on the way out to look the other way.
The teams are asking for tax dollars, just the cost of doing business with tax dollars. Of course if the teams financed on their own no need for these agreements.
If the team knew they didn't have to give these kickbacks to lawmakers, they wouldn't have to ask for as much tax money in the first place. What's the generosity or philanthropy in giving money away that you just took from the citizenry? There's no honor in that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Had a friend who was at a mayor James talk on the stadiums today. I asked them to ask or listen for oak street specifically and anything else they didn't they they had heard before.

Similar to a post above he said populous is optimistic of keeping oak from being totally vacated. Excited to hear that.

Other thing she told me that I hadn't heard is he mentioned east village would have required rebuild of the east loop (shout out Grid) and modot had no appetite for that.

Also that they are talking with Arts KC to make the finished building a better crossroads fit.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:41 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:39 pm
If the team knew they didn't have to give these kickbacks to lawmakers, they wouldn't have to ask for as much tax money in the first place. What's the generosity or philanthropy in giving money away that you just took from the citizenry? There's no honor in that.
Not really. Just the cost of doing business in today's development world. Much like MBE and WBE participation tax money doesn't come without some strings attached. As many have said the proceeds from the 3/8 cent sales tax could be used for many social programs besides subsidizing millionaires and billionaires.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:42 am Not really. Just the cost of doing business in today's...world.
I heard this said once too while traveling in Africa and our host giving money at a military checkpoint.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:24 am Had a friend who was at a mayor James talk on the stadiums today. I asked them to ask or listen for oak street specifically and anything else they didn't they they had heard before.

Similar to a post above he said populous is optimistic of keeping oak from being totally vacated. Excited to hear that.

Other thing she told me that I hadn't heard is he mentioned east village would have required rebuild of the east loop (shout out Grid) and modot had no appetite for that.

Also that they are talking with Arts KC to make the finished building a better crossroads fit.
I believe Mayor Lucas said in his most recent KCUR interview that he doesn't like the plan to close Oak and that he hasn't been convinced it's necessary. He also suggested the Royals could avoid/delay plans to displace the businesses on the SE corner of 16th and Oak. Not sure if he means leaving that block in tact long term or suggesting the Royals delay dialogue about displacement until a later date.

https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-date ... -questions