World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I don't believe Germany has made an official decision or announcement.

Here is the article: https://www.cjonline.com/story/news/pol ... 314176007/

That article is a bit unclear. It almost makes it sound as though Germany picking KC as a base would be contingent on the funding from Kansas, although I think the local World Cup organizers are just enticing KS to kick in more funding by dangling Germany.

As for teams to host as their training base, I would think Germany would be one of, if not the biggest get for a city. I think there will be a large number of Germans coming to the US for the World Cup, and even if we don't host any of their matches, it could bring quite a few traveling fans to town.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:45 pm I don't believe Germany has made an official decision or announcement.

Here is the article: https://www.cjonline.com/story/news/pol ... 314176007/

That article is a bit unclear. It almost makes it sound as though Germany picking KC as a base would be contingent on the funding from Kansas, although I think the local World Cup organizers are just enticing KS to kick in more funding by dangling Germany.

As for teams to host as their training base, I would think Germany would be one of, if not the biggest get for a city. I think there will be a large number of Germans coming to the US for the World Cup, and even if we don't host any of their matches, it could bring quite a few traveling fans to town.
I can tell you the Germany news is legit and goes much deeper than folks know.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

One of Quarterfinals will be hosted in KC. Looks like we are getting 6 total games.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

A bit of a bummer - 4 group stage games, one in the round of 32, and a quarterfinal, along with no USMNT games (in the group stage, at least), but still, we’ll have people here for events for all but the last week of World Cup.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

swid wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:57 pm A bit of a bummer - 4 group stage games, one in the round of 32, and a quarterfinal, along with no USMNT games (in the group stage, at least), but still, we’ll have people here for events for all but the last week of World Cup.
I think that’s pretty good and honestly best case I was thinking. Only 4 cities get quarterfinals.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

A bummer? What were you expecting? This is an exceptional draw for us imo. Quarterfinal will be a massive moment.

Matchdays will be Tuesday, Saturday, Thursday, Saturday, Friday, Saturday.

https://twitter.com/FWC26KansasCity/sta ... 4596912586
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If the games are Germany vs France for example on a Tues will the game be at 2pm to give Europeans a chance to see the match? Or will all the games be tailored to us times
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

bspecht wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:04 pm A bummer? What were you expecting? This is an exceptional draw for us imo. Quarterfinal will be a massive moment.

Matchdays will be Tuesday, Saturday, Thursday, Saturday, Friday, Saturday.

https://twitter.com/FWC26KansasCity/sta ... 4596912586
Exceeds my expectations. Will put KC infra and hotels to the test during the group stage.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

bspecht wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:04 pm A bummer? What were you expecting? This is an exceptional draw for us imo. Quarterfinal will be a massive moment.
Yep, I think this is as good as we could have hoped for. After the group stages were expanded, it seemed like we were looking at 6 matches - but having two knockout round matches, including a quarterfinal is better than I expected.

Our slate of matches is better than Seattle, Bay Area, Toronto, Philly, and any Mexican city.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

How could someone be disappointed and say this is a bummer. Kansas City is hosting 6 mini-Super Bowls and one of them is a quarterfinal.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:21 pm
Yep, I think this is as good as we could have hoped for. After the group stages were expanded, it seemed like we were looking at 6 matches - but having two knockout round matches, including a quarterfinal is better than I expected.

Our slate of matches is better than Seattle, Bay Area, Toronto, Philly, and any Mexican city.
Can see the lack of Team USA being a boon. Trading local viewers for an international crowd that will have to stay longer and likely to spend more.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:00 pm If the games are Germany vs France for example on a Tues will the game be at 2pm to give Europeans a chance to see the match? Or will all the games be tailored to us times
They will attempt to, they did for USA this past go around. Matches are stacked into consistent timeframes, without overlapping games. There are more teams in the WC for 2026, 48 teams, so some things could change.

2022: https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/7aefe2d8c ... 281122.pdf
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Matches spread across three weeks with three weekend matches including one with probably no other competing matches on tv is pretty great.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Phenomenal we got what we got. To get a quarter-final game and be one of only 4 cities hosting that round is great. Especially considering it's Boston, Miami, L.A. and Kansas City!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This is a huge win for us. Very cool we got a quarterfinal. That game could shape up to be the biggest game ever played in KC.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Remember half the fun of this is fan zones. A lot of people can't afford to travel a lot so they fly to one city and party. This Isa fantastic draw for our size.

Anyone with money should build a downtown hostel quickly.

Fourth of July in there too. This will be a huge test for Kansas city.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

KCMO contributing $15M over next 3 years to KC2026 (1st year already appropriated). Also designates KC2026 as the "Host City Authority" with FIFA, removing KCMO as party, but KCMO still guarantees the obligations of KC2026.
https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... FullText=1
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Info on the renovation happening for the world cup.

https://www.kshb.com/sports/world-cup/r ... ccer-venue

Sounds like the vacuum system will be great in general for Chiefs games and general events.