Westwood - 47th Street

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Westwood - 47th Street

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This is a nice overhaul project of 47th Street between Rainbow and Mission. I believe this was partly, or entirely, funded by Johnson County. New sidewalks, baby tree trees, sidewalk lights, benches, concrete islands at some crosswalks and new bike lanes make this street feel and look better. I'll have to go back by during the day.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Westwood - 47th Street

Post by kcjak »

It does look really nice - hard to believe it took 2+ years to get that completed. A solid job bringing some life into an otherwise struggling retail section. Anyone remember the nasty Apple Market where Walmart Neighborhood Market is? The strip mall with the thrift store where the swim school is now located? HUGE improvement.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A good example of attractive traffic calming, quite opposite of the visually ugly traffic calming on 31st.
mjbauer95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mjbauer95 »

kcjak wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:18 am A solid job bringing some life into an otherwise struggling retail section.
I guess everything is relative, but honestly feels pretty vibrant to me. The original Joe's alone probably draws in more tourists than any restaurant on the Kansas side at least. Looks like pretty low vacancy too.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Westwood is a wealthy and purple-going-blue area of JoCo -- lots of DINKs. Is it any surprise that they want their infrastructure to reflect their preferences? I think NE JoCo will become the Brookside of the next generation. No slight on Brookside, but the city isn't playing ball on keeping up the standards there. To be fair, KCMO has bigger fish to fry.

Mission Hills even went for Biden in the last Presidential election. First time since 1964 that the town voted for a Democrat (and Goldwater 1964 outperformed Trump 2020 as a percentage of voters).
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

mjbauer95 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:14 pm
kcjak wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:18 am A solid job bringing some life into an otherwise struggling retail section.
I guess everything is relative, but honestly feels pretty vibrant to me. The original Joe's alone probably draws in more tourists than any restaurant on the Kansas side at least. Looks like pretty low vacancy too.
You're right...I just meant prior to all of the work that was done and before Joe's gained the foothold it has today. Back in the day, I never would've guessed it would be as nice as it is now.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Recent HQ relocation on 47th of Mohajir Energy which until recently was in the Bishop-McCaan building on 17th and walnut
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah this street used to feel run down. Looks great these days. Both the street itself and the businesses around it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I really appreciate the change to the street, but unprotected bike lanes should be struck from the design manual.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

smh wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:14 pm I really appreciate the change to the street, but unprotected bike lanes should be struck from the design manual.
Completely agree. I biked this stretch last week actually. Cars drove in the left hand lane to give me a wide berth. the bike lane just isn’t wide enough
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Daytime photos.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:04 pm Daytime photos.
Holy moly, a unicorn. An actual place to sit at a bus stop, and a trash can to boot.