New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by rxlexi »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:32 am Not sure I expected much more. Maybe more "outside" view looking different is the only thing I may have expected. This is obviously the last reno of Arrowhead to get them through 25 years and then done with this building.
Yes, this is exactly what it feels like. I would have preferred the teams take their time, and if a new stadium for the Chiefs at any point is the desire, let's knock them both out now (i.e. by lease expiration in 2031).

OR, spend the money on Arrowhead and surrounds to keep it a stone cold classic NFL stadium and do what you can to make it more of a destination for as long as possible. The southern midwest Lambeau experience, if you will.

No doubt these renovations will improve gameday significantly, but it would have been nice to see them add to the Arrowhead lore and maybe bring something new to the experience (big new HoF, all new team practice facilities, retail/restaurant/hotel, etc. etc.).

Sounds like the team practice facilities will be rebuilt elsewhere at this point...
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Clark Hunt: "We would not be willing to sign a lease for another 25 years without the financing to properly renovate and reimagine this stadium."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A HOF added on experience building would have been cool add.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

"pretty" pictures and video
https://www.chiefs.com/stadium/concepts
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:44 am A HOF added on experience building would have been cool add.
Yes, big new HoF in a standalone building, new team practice facilities, could host corporate events and tours. Like a super-mini The Star in Dallas (less the retail district).
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's amazing how bad they are at this though. They have two modes: 1) say we're amazing, and 2) say we're leaving if you don't vote yes.

They're just such entitled dick holes. It's hard to watch, even when you agree.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I was ready to vote yes despite my misgivings about Oak being closed, but this has flipped me to no. Public money to upgrade the most expensive and exclusive parts of the stadium, while the rest of us get covered walkways? No thanks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:50 am I was ready to vote yes despite my misgivings about Oak being closed, but this has flipped me to no. Public money to upgrade the most expensive and exclusive parts of the stadium, while the rest of us get covered walkways? No thanks.
It sounded like every level even for us commoners was getting upgraded from parking to inside the facility. Heck the cover and heaters in the upper concourse will be a huge plus for a lot of common fans.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

In fact, the Royals might want to decouple from the Chiefs on this one. I think the Chiefs are dragging down the vote with this presentation more than the Royals. It's like they want it to fail.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:52 am
shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:50 am I was ready to vote yes despite my misgivings about Oak being closed, but this has flipped me to no. Public money to upgrade the most expensive and exclusive parts of the stadium, while the rest of us get covered walkways? No thanks.
It sounded like every level even for us commoners was getting upgraded from parking to inside the facility. Heck the cover and heaters in the upper concourse will be a huge plus for a lot of common fans.
Reorienting the parking lots is an upgrade? Thats paint. They could do that next time they stripe the lots.

The upper concourse isn't covered, it has some cover but it's minimal, and the heaters are a fraction of the expense.

Connecting the upper concourses seems like a waste of money.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Donovan says these renovations won't start until after the World Cup modifications. Hoping to have proposed renovations done by 2030, or 2031. Kinda sounds like they accelerated announcing this plan to placate the Royals timeline.

When asked why no entertainment options proposed outside the stadium, Donovan says the harsh reality is this isn't a location that is worthy of developing right now in this market. Also says unbelievable competition from the Royals plans downtown means entertainment onsite doesn't make sense.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

"raytown is poor"
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Are there any published plans for the WC renovations. I know they have to widen the field. Will the removed seats be replaced with temporary seats or will they permanently restore the field to it's original width?
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

The NFLPA report card came out today and look at the scores. Cheap ass ownership.

SiouxCity KCMO Man
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SiouxCity KCMO Man »

To me, Hunt is doing a lot of tiptoeing and being careful with the comments. A new Arrowhead on the east side of KC was never going to be built new at the current TSC. He's appeasing the Royals here I think. His intent was also never to build a revenue generating mixed use complex there similar to what the Royals are proposing DT. If the tax doesn't pass and no compromise occurs, the Chiefs end up in Kansas and the Royals aren't in KC. This whole Arrowhead renovation seems underwhelming and geared more toward those rich folks who can pay and less toward the common taxpayer who can barely afford to go out there the way it is.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:01 pm Are there any published plans for the WC renovations. I know they have to widen the field. Will the removed seats be replaced with temporary seats or will they permanently restore the field to it's original width?
Don't quote me on this, because it's been a long time since I was read in on anything. Sure everything has changed.

At the time the concept was to make everything more modular so they could flip between different layouts with far less cost.

Would be interested in hearing if anyone knows more to this too.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anyone else in here long term season ticket holder? Wondering what the different feelings amongst various groups are. STM's, a few games a year attendees, TV viewers/fans?

Arrowhead is a treasure. You don't need to change it dramatically and building a new stadium would be a 2.5 billion dollar endeavor.

This is less than what I thought they would do but it was never going to be a dramatic change to something that doesn't need dramatic changes. It's an update to bring the stadium up to a level that more modern NFL stadiums are at.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

This is basically exactly what was expected. General improvements, Focus on suites/club ticket buyers, and a small tailgate experience area replacing the K. Honestly more than I was expecting personally. Not sure why anyone would of thought this would sway any votes, this is still on the Royal's train wreck of a rollout over the last year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Rusty Irish wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:06 pm The NFLPA report card came out today and look at the scores. Cheap ass ownership.

"The responses identify major issues in two areas: quality of care and out-of-date facilities."

Aren't they literally trying to fix this with today's announcement?
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:22 pm Anyone else in here long term season ticket holder? Wondering what the different feelings amongst various groups are. STM's, a few games a year attendees, TV viewers/fans?

Arrowhead is a treasure. You don't need to change it dramatically and building a new stadium would be a 2.5 billion dollar endeavor.

This is less than what I thought they would do but it was never going to be a dramatic change to something that doesn't need dramatic changes. It's an update to bring the stadium up to a level that more modern NFL stadiums are at.
Been a fan forever and go to about 1 game per year.

I absolutely love this renovation plan. It is EXACTLY what I wanted. Saves the ICONIC shape of the stadium, bigger scoreboards that also save their odd but Iconic shape. connects the upper deck concourses,

as an upper deck "poor", I've walked around to meet fellow "poors" on the other side during halftime, sucks going down and up and down and up to go back and forth.

I like they are keeping the round exit ramps, I love banging on the sheet metal with everyone after games.

I'm most excited about the parking lot upgrades. The parking situation has been hell on earth in recent years. Took me almost 2 hours to leave the stadium and get on the highway after the game I went to this season.