New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:03 pm don't get me started on turning stadium lights off during HRs/TDs/etc. It's horrible. Keep the lights on.
I don't know of any football stadium that does this for TD's or basic in-game moments. Shutting off the lights or using them in different colors, chases etc as part of the pre-game and halftime will be awesome. The NFL will not allow them to be modified during play, at all.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:12 pm I would say they overdid the LED boards when they updated the K. To much visual noise for not enough return, specifically thinking about the ones in the outfield wall.

Hopefully both teams will consider some form of permanent locations for image mapping the field. We have been outfitting arenas for years now and have recently completed a soccer pitch. With LED stadium lighting you can now shut the lights down and back on again for some fantastic effect.
I agree with you on both points. The issue with the K is the fact they're essentially full-time sponsor boards and not used that often for fan experience.

Image mapping the field would be an awesome option for special occasions.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:11 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:03 pm don't get me started on turning stadium lights off during HRs/TDs/etc. It's horrible. Keep the lights on.
I agree. It's too much. But also, I'm old like you.
I'm all for new stuff but that is just weird in the stadium and on TV the coverage turns to crap.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:15 pm
I don't know of any football stadium that does this for TD's or basic in-game moments. Shutting off the lights or using them in different colors, chases etc as part of the pre-game and halftime will be awesome. The NFL will not allow them to be modified during play, at all.
I remember watching a few night games this year that did it. College is doing it too. Yeah I'm all good with color/off during pregame. Obviously any league wouldn't allow them to be changed during gameplay.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:47 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:15 pm
I remember watching a few night games this year that did it. College is doing it too. Yeah I'm all good with color/off during pregame. Obviously any league wouldn't allow them to be changed during gameplay.
When I say gameplay, I mean at any point after the game clock has started. So not during a commercial or anything like that, restricted to pre, half and post. I can't speak for NCAA.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:12 pm I would say they overdid the LED boards when they updated the K. To much visual noise for not enough return, specifically thinking about the ones in the outfield wall.

Hopefully both teams will consider some form of permanent locations for image mapping the field. We have been outfitting arenas for years now and have recently completed a soccer pitch. With LED stadium lighting you can now shut the lights down and back on again for some fantastic effect.
I've seen those video projections on ice rinks and it looks awesome as part of the pregame hype. I was at the union station centennial celebration with the protection on the building and that was freaking amazing but I'd guess it would only work for night games and most chiefs games are at noon or 3pm.

I found this video showing it can look good on turf.
https://youtu.be/lCRB_1g0o8o?si=daYmmFDBAUjc6gqF
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wednesday 10am pretty pictures come out. Guessing about 90% of visible changes will be an outside shell versus changes to seating/bowl. Probably also a titletown type situation.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:39 pm Wednesday 10am pretty pictures come out. Guessing about 90% of visible changes will be an outside shell versus changes to seating/bowl. Probably also a titletown type situation.
Re-sharing from previous discussions:

Technology; All new sound system. New video. New lighting system that’s all LED and capable of color changing.

Fully wrap the entire stadium in a modern exoskeleton that will allow for more available space, wider concourses and better concessions.

More suites on level 100 level. Major upgrades to others.

Tailgate district next to stadium.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:48 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:39 pm Wednesday 10am pretty pictures come out. Guessing about 90% of visible changes will be an outside shell versus changes to seating/bowl. Probably also a titletown type situation.
Re-sharing from previous discussions:

Technology; All new sound system. New video. New lighting system that’s all LED and capable of color changing.

Fully wrap the entire stadium in a modern exoskeleton that will allow for more available space, wider concourses and better concessions.

More suites on level 100 level. Major upgrades to others.

Tailgate district next to stadium.
Will the tailgate district be permanent hard-stand structures? Or just provide a dedicated space for a more activated tailgate setup?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How do you watch this press conf live?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd guess all the locals will break in for it.
glacier890
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by glacier890 »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well that video was underwhelming.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

What a massive disappointment. The stadium is still gonna look ugly. I cannot believe Buffalo, Nashville, Jacksonville are building these sleek new stadiums and the back to back champion Chiefs are just building a few fan zones and suites. This is so underwhelming. The Royals are the only real hope.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Looks shit. Parking and some tiny canopy over what is Kauffman.

I bet they capacity is slightly reduced too to make way for more club seats so the regular joe loses out.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I cannot believe they are still gonna leave those ugly ass 1960's spiral staircases out on the exterior instead of covering them

How do we even sell this campaign now with the Chiefs as the "lead" over the Royals? They aren't even doing anything.
Last edited by TheUrbanRoo on Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Welp, kind of what I thought. Pretty minor upgrades and pretty much nothing added in place of Kauffman.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This tells me how much work needs to be done to the structure itself and hence reinforces why the Royals didn't want to deal with that.

I think it's a good renovation that will be well received, the video was just not at all good.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:15 am Welp, kind of what I thought. Pretty minor upgrades and pretty much nothing added in place of Kauffman.
Man I don't think you can call this a minor upgrade. It's just not "adding" much so it doesn't look a lot different.