Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:10 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:35 pm IN MY OPINION: If the vote fails, they will immediately start tearing down the buildings where they want the stadium to be, essentially forcing the hand of voters in the second vote. They will make the choice either a. stadium or b. dead zone.

Sorry, forgot to put 'in my opinion'.
Is this a joke? Voters in suburban Jackson County could absolutely care less if KC had a stadium size hole downtown.
You think this vote comes down to the suburbs?!
It's not just the suburbs. I think Lee's Summit will have a higher percentage of yes votes than SKC, East KC, Brookside, Hyde Park.

The anti Crossroads thing has some serious damage to the yes votes across the city and most people seem to actually think the stadium is going to wipe out the Crossroads.

I think the vote will come down to the Chiefs and how much they can swing things.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:14 am
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:57 am It's not a very popular idea with crossroads businesses east of oak. It's not jill.
It’s far more popular than you’d think if you’re simply going off what Jill and two other owners are saying. Think about it. You come out in support and for some reason this doesn’t happen. You’ve got a X on your back and will be labeled as a “bad member of the crossroad’s community”.
I don’t know who is coordinating this -if anyone- but several neighborhood businesses who have voiced general support with all of the proper caveats, promptly received 1 star yelp reviews referring stadium support. Seems unhealthy. I know several business owners who are afraid to publicly support. Anecdotally I think we are at about 50/50 in the neighborhood now.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:10 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:35 pm IN MY OPINION: If the vote fails, they will immediately start tearing down the buildings where they want the stadium to be, essentially forcing the hand of voters in the second vote. They will make the choice either a. stadium or b. dead zone.

Sorry, forgot to put 'in my opinion'.
Is this a joke? Voters in suburban Jackson County could absolutely care less if KC had a stadium size hole downtown.
You think this vote comes down to the suburbs?!
I do. They are extremely motivated to get out and vote to keep TSC out of downtown. And their vote will be more monolithic than in the city.
Last edited by Highlander on Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I was curious how many cities have urban vs suburban stadiums. I know the south is full of suburban stadiums so I didn't even research there, but in the heartland it's almost entirely urban baseball. Literally every AA, AAA, and MLB stadium in this circle are Urban except the Royals organization and the Brewers. I admittedly left off 2 AA teams in Tennessee, and 1 AA team in Pennsylvania off the map that seemingly play in the middle of nowhere so I figured they weren't really comparable.

Crazy, literally everywhere can figure out urban baseball except the Royals organization. The new Omaha and NW Arkansas Stadiums look like awful locations to watch baseball.

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

UMKCroo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:49 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:14 am
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:57 am It's not a very popular idea with crossroads businesses east of oak. It's not jill.
It’s far more popular than you’d think if you’re simply going off what Jill and two other owners are saying. Think about it. You come out in support and for some reason this doesn’t happen. You’ve got a X on your back and will be labeled as a “bad member of the crossroad’s community”.
I don’t know who is coordinating this -if anyone- but several neighborhood businesses who have voiced general support with all of the proper caveats, promptly received 1 star yelp reviews referring stadium support. Seems unhealthy. I know several business owners who are afraid to publicly support. Anecdotally I think we are at about 50/50 in the neighborhood now.
Ding Ding. The people opposed are vial and on one hand claim this will harm small businesses while on the other have no problem harming other small businesses if they don't fall in line. It's gross.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No idea who is doing it but DCole over here claiming it's other businesses with no evidence? A one star YELP review might as well be about as impactful as a myspace post.

I agree whomever is trying to harm a business with bad reviews because they have a difference in stadium opinion is pretty shitty.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:31 pm No idea who is doing it but DCole over here claiming it's other businesses with no evidence? A one star YELP review might as well be about as impactful as a myspace post.

I agree whomever is trying to harm a business with bad reviews because they have a difference in stadium opinion is pretty shitty.
I just love how you continue to demand I come armed with evidence for anything I post but defend this Jill person's accusations as, "hey, that's her opinion man". Jill is in the media and on her social media daily making wild accusations and manipulating information. She's proven she is comfortable accusing people of criminal acts and if you try and correct her or engage, you're blocked after being called the typical buzz words. Only those who agree with her are allowed a seat at the table. Yet, you think it's far fetched that her and her followers wouldn't take action against other crossroads business owners? I didn't even claim it was business owners technically leaving the bad yelp reviews. I said the people opposed. I have zero doubt that if it's not Jill and her follows doing it, it's someone associated with them or it's someone who has been inspired by their words.

And don't discount how impactful YELP reviews are. If you've ever owned a business or have been close with those who do, they work extremely hard getting their yelp and google reviews up. They take the time to respond to each one and try to fix the bad ones to keep that rating up. Even larger businesses spend big money, time and resources trying to make sure their online reviews are positive.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is yelp even still a thing?

It could easily be the KC Tenants people, the save the K people, so I'm not comfortable claiming who maybe behind it. Just like you are saying she should have her facts 100% correct, turning around and accusing them of posting online reviews without facts seems ironic.

I've also never once said anything close to "that's her opinion". I have said she has points that it would be best to address versus just throw a fit and call her a liar.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:15 pm Is yelp even still a thing?
Is that your way of telling us you’re a Samsung guy?!

I don’t think it’s some kind of coordinated attack(at least I sincerely hope not), but I know business owners are talking about it, and hesitant to be publicly supportive.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

It could easily be the KC Tenants people, the save the K people, so I'm not comfortable claiming who maybe behind it. Just like you are saying she should have her facts 100% correct, turning around and accusing them of posting online reviews without facts seems ironic.

I've also never once said anything close to "that's her opinion". I have said she has points that it would be best to address versus just throw a fit and call her a liar.
Ok, so I will point you back to the fact that I didn't claim she or her group were behind it. You wanted to assume that's what I meant when I said "those opposed" which include all the groups and people you just mentioned. I'm not sure how you saying, it could easily be this or that group is any different than what I said.

The difference is I'm an anonymous person on a development forum who is using recent evidence, including her videos and posts to make an assumption. It's not a stretch to think she herself is capable of such acts. Once again, someone opposed to the new stadium is doing this and I'm not making a matter of fact statement. She is calling out specific developers and people accusing them of a crime.

As far as addressing what she's said. I have went directly to her. I have sent her private messages and commented on her posts with extreme kindness in an attempt to address the lies and misinformation. I thought this was clear by me pointing out she will block anyone who doesn't agree with her.

She's a liar. Flat Out. This is verifiable. I tried talking to her as have others. Her latest lies:

"By the time something like this ends up on a ballot, it’s typical that a community benefits agreement has already been reached." Wrong. A CBA wasn't done before the airport vote. A CBA wasn't completed before the last stadium sales tax vote either.

"The tax is not simply an extension of the old tax. That information is false. It is a bait and switch. It is a cancellation of the old tax (which is set to expire in 13 years), and replacement of that tax with one of the the same amount that will go for 40 years, and with new verbiage that allows for new construction. The current tax only covers maintenance and upkeep of the existing stadium." Partially wrong. Sure, you can call it a new tax because the current deal is cancelled and a new one is put in it's place but the amount of tax people who buy things in JaCo are being asked to pay doesn't change. Also, the existing deal expires in 7 years, not 13 years. The current tax allowed for construction as well as maintenance and upkeep.

These are just a few examples of her constant lies and or manipulation of information.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

::sigh:: Where's the Chiefs renderings already?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:12 pm ::sigh:: Where's the Chiefs renderings already?
Sorry, trying to stay on topic here so I thought it prudent to mention the lies being spread about the baseball stadium.

Head on over to the Chiefs stadium thread for updates on that. ;)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

UMKCroo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:28 pm
Is that your way of telling us you’re a Samsung guy?!

I don’t think it’s some kind of coordinated attack(at least I sincerely hope not), but I know business owners are talking about it, and hesitant to be publicly supportive.
and I'm sure others are hesitant to be publicly opposed as once it's passed and in, they want to be part of the upside.

I'm done talking about Jill. We can see what she is. She's pissed she is losing her business location, I can totally understand her being upset. I don't agree with her approach but I'm not in her shoes so trying to show a bit of empathy in this situation, something the Royals could try and show and put into action, it would do a lot for the don't build in the crossroads voices right now.
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bricknose »

The KC Star published some of the things the Royals are being asked from various groups to include in a CBA:
For instance, it asks that the Royals hire half of the team’s non-athletic workforce during and after construction from specific ZIP codes where there’s been a history of unemployment and under employment.

The proposal also wants the teams to establish a $5 million loan guarantee fund to provide low-interest auto and home-improvement loans for residents and workers at both stadiums aimed at building wealth in Black and Hispanic communities.

It asks that the teams develop a climate policy for the new stadium that would limit its carbon emissions and work with stadium vendors to increase recycling and limit solid waste.

As part of that green initiative, the coalition wants both teams to work with the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority to set up shuttle service for workers to get to the stadiums on game days, as well as better public bus service to the stadiums that would include spending at least $1 million each on transit-oriented improvements on site and contribute an equal amount annually to the KCATA.

Among other financial demands, the coalition wants the teams to each contribute $3 million a year to anti-violence initiatives, $1 million annually for parks development and improvements and $1 million each year to nonprofit social service agencies now funded through Jackson County’s outside agencies fund.

The proposal asks that if the teams develop any new housing as part of their projects that 30% of those units be for low and moderate income residents, and that they remain affordable to people meeting those income guidelines for the 40-year life of the sales tax. It also asks that 30% of those affordable units have two bedrooms, 30% have three bedrooms, 15% have four bedrooms and all of them share the same amenities as the market rate units next door to them.

It goes on to demand that the Royals build one unit for every unit demolished for the stadiums and associated development.

But perhaps the biggest ask in this category calls for the Chiefs and Royals to each put $50 million initially – and $5 million a year thereafter for the life of the sales tax – into a fund to address displacement and affordable housing in the community.

The fund would be administered by a private, nonprofit agency committed to affordable housing.
Other asks include a 24-hour child care facility large enough for 250 kids within a half mile of both the Royals and Chiefs stadiums, 40% on pre and post construction expenditures go to minority owned businesses and 10% to women-owned businesses, and an annual $3 million investment in local education to be coordinated with schools within a 10 mile radius.

Are these pretty typical asks for a CBA? Which of these asks have a chance of being accepted by the Royals and which have no chance?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean they are far reaching but this seems typical for "asks". You can't get it if you don't ask for it.

The most applicable and fair ones to me as topics, maybe not the amounts:

- Focusing on workers being hired from different areas
- Climate plan for stadium
- shuttle for gameday workers and better bus service (they will want to do this anyways so layup for Royals/Chiefs to add)
- Replacing lost housing and making some of the housing affordable that they do build
- A fund for displacement

From JaCo/KCMO they should somehow work into this agreement they need to work somehow to help out surrounding businesses that are going to see their rents jump significantly.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPS is prepping to make yet another shortsighted argument against future tax dollars as well:

And that’s not a complete list by any means.The Kansas City Public School District wants a say because of the tax dollars it would lose were a tax-exempt ballpark built in the East Crossroads.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... rylink=cpy
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:51 am
From JaCo/KCMO they should somehow work into this agreement they need to work somehow to help out surrounding businesses that are going to see their rents jump significantly.
An example of how the team could have gotten in front of pushback that should have been anticipated
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bricknose wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:24 am The KC Star published some of the things the Royals are being asked from various groups to include in a CBA:
For instance, it asks that the Royals hire half of the team’s non-athletic workforce during and after construction from specific ZIP codes where there’s been a history of unemployment and under employment.

The proposal also wants the teams to establish a $5 million loan guarantee fund to provide low-interest auto and home-improvement loans for residents and workers at both stadiums aimed at building wealth in Black and Hispanic communities.

It asks that the teams develop a climate policy for the new stadium that would limit its carbon emissions and work with stadium vendors to increase recycling and limit solid waste.

As part of that green initiative, the coalition wants both teams to work with the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority to set up shuttle service for workers to get to the stadiums on game days, as well as better public bus service to the stadiums that would include spending at least $1 million each on transit-oriented improvements on site and contribute an equal amount annually to the KCATA.

Among other financial demands, the coalition wants the teams to each contribute $3 million a year to anti-violence initiatives, $1 million annually for parks development and improvements and $1 million each year to nonprofit social service agencies now funded through Jackson County’s outside agencies fund.

The proposal asks that if the teams develop any new housing as part of their projects that 30% of those units be for low and moderate income residents, and that they remain affordable to people meeting those income guidelines for the 40-year life of the sales tax. It also asks that 30% of those affordable units have two bedrooms, 30% have three bedrooms, 15% have four bedrooms and all of them share the same amenities as the market rate units next door to them.

It goes on to demand that the Royals build one unit for every unit demolished for the stadiums and associated development.

But perhaps the biggest ask in this category calls for the Chiefs and Royals to each put $50 million initially – and $5 million a year thereafter for the life of the sales tax – into a fund to address displacement and affordable housing in the community.

The fund would be administered by a private, nonprofit agency committed to affordable housing.
Other asks include a 24-hour child care facility large enough for 250 kids within a half mile of both the Royals and Chiefs stadiums, 40% on pre and post construction expenditures go to minority owned businesses and 10% to women-owned businesses, and an annual $3 million investment in local education to be coordinated with schools within a 10 mile radius.

Are these pretty typical asks for a CBA? Which of these asks have a chance of being accepted by the Royals and which have no chance?
This stuff is absurd. If the Royals could afford all that, they would just build their own stadium. The Royals Stadium and the accompanying development would create far more housing (at least per the renderings) than they would tear down. The only housing I see in the development area is 1517 Lofts and that can't be more than just a few units at best. The green stuff is OK; it's just lip service but the housing requirements being sought are nonsense. 30% of the units as affordable for new construction with stipulations for 4 bedrooms which would increase the affordable amount to well above 30% for in percent of sq footage?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Let's be honest. Nobody is going to help those displaced businesses. The only ones that can are their landlords and it's unlikely that will happen in any of these cases.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

taxi wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:56 am Let's be honest. Nobody is going to help those displaced businesses. The only ones that can are their landlords and it's unlikely that will happen in any of these cases.
Hasn’t Abbot already verbally committed to doing exactly that though?