Bond Bridge Question

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
mshilko
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Bond Bridge Question

Post by mshilko »

Does anyone know why the Bond bridge is dark and unlit at night? A.friend asked me and I drove over it and was indeed dark. I searched and found a 2021 or 22 article about the cooling being broken at some point, but nothing else. Anyone know?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Bond Bridge Question

Post by dukuboy1 »

I just asked myself the same question as I was driving over it last SAT at night. It is very dark, almost to the point I would consider it a hazard. Not even street lights on the thing. They need to do something. An artistic lighting would be neat but just basic road safety would be a good start.

FYI, Bally's looks cool right next to it, so bridge lighting to compliment it would be a nice touch.
mshilko
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mshilko »

It was lit previously, not sure what happened.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

ALL the bridges in KC WERE lit and no longer are. No idea why. Failure to maintain I'm guessing. Pesky routine maintenance.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

im2kull wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:55 am Pesky routine maintenance.
How many MODOT workers does it take to change a light bulb?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It's been dark like the last three times I have been in KC. I thought at first it had to do with the stadium construction, but no, it's just typical Modot.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Star reports all cable lighting was turned off after many of the fixtures failing due to deterioration from weather and road salt. These fixtures are not made anymore and MODOT searching for solution. Ornamental lighting usually is not MODOT responsibility,on HOA and old BOB lighting is city responsibility per agreemant as will be lighting on new BOB.
mshilko
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mshilko »

Thanks for an informative reply!
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Where does MODOT stand on safety lighting? The Bond bridge is dark. Not even highway lighting on it. Basic lighting to help illuminate the roadway is needed.

As for ornamental lighting why not let Evergy advertise their name on the bridge somehow on the side or roadway, via a light projection. Have them maintain or another company paying the sponsorship to market. I’d think ornamental solar powered, LED lighting would effective.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:07 am Where does MODOT stand on safety lighting? The Bond bridge is dark. Not even highway lighting on it. Basic lighting to help illuminate the roadway is needed.

As for ornamental lighting why not let Evergy advertise their name on the bridge somehow on the side or roadway, via a light projection. Have them maintain or another company paying the sponsorship to market. I’d think ornamental solar powered, LED lighting would effective.
In that Star article, MODOT basically states that the roadway is sufficiently illuminated, the cable uplights are/were only decorative, roadway lighting (streetlights) on the bridge would be city responsibility. Also seemed to imply (and the time dark would confirm) that new weather resistant uplight replacements are not a priority and they have no timeline to fix. Sad.

Edit: I don't know this but have to assume the Stan Span in STL (basically 2X Bond Bridge cable structures) still has bright ornamental cable lighting and, if replacement was needed, it would be done quickly.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The city needs to find a way to light the bridge. Makes no sense to just let it sit dark. Especially now that the Broadway Bridge is being replaced with another Heart of America bridge.
mshilko
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mshilko »

Agreed, terrible look for the city.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

"Eh, good enough, whatever, who even cares." - Missouri state motto
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:32 pm "Eh, good enough, whatever, who even cares." - Missouri state motto
Missouri surplus peaking at $8 billion as governor prepares to act on state budget

https://missouriindependent.com/2023/06 ... te-budget/
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

One must hope that CPKC stadium opening this year next door to the Bond bridge will spur action towards re-lighting. It is a signature component of the view out of the stadium to north. Fingers crossed.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

On the PortKC Board of Comissioners docket there's a $150,000 contribution from PortKC to the city for lighting repairs on the Bond Bridge.

Docket

KCDowntown