Southmoreland

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Southmoreland

Post by FangKC »

herrfrank wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:59 am Something similar happened to the Art Moderne residence near 65th/ State Line. After a failed listing, the "angry owners" took out their disappointments on the house. Its interior was gutted, including all of the in-built (steam) heating radiators and other fixtures. I toured it during its second listing, with its interior destruction evident throughout. You can however see the original condition in the 1989 movie "Mr. and Mrs. Bridge" -- it was the home of the character, Dr. Alex Sauer.

I feel that our Historic Registries need to have more teeth in them regarding interiors. Property rights are not absolute -- every city has zoning restrictions, for example. I see historic designations as another legitimate restriction on the disposition of a property or structure.
Should they not be able to get the zoning changed, and the offer from George Birt disappears, these fools didn't consider that the house would sell for more if it hadn't been gutted of its original details.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

The other notable thing about the home's architecture: it was designed by Root and Siemens. That same firm designed the Scarritt Building and Arcade.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Midtownkid, would it become too laborious for the City to have a process that any structure over 100 years old facing demolition should automatically come under review of the Historic Preservation Committee for review and recommendation to the City Council for action if need be?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

It would be time consuming, but I think it would be a great idea. We might be cooking something up along those lines...
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I sense the need for a Preservation Board! I’ll add to this that if the Preservation Board declines approval, the applicant can go before the Planning Commission for appeal. If the Planning Commissions denies that, the only other option for appeal is the local courts. I propose we do that.
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:23 pm Design review should be mandated in historic district across the city.

St. Louis has the Cultural Resources Office, which reviews new projects and demolitions within historic districts in the city. They make sure those projects fit with the character of the neighborhoods and districts, but can be more lenient as long as an architect makes an effort with the design. If the CRO determines a project does not meet the standards, they'll refer to the case to the Preservation Board. The Preservation Board will typically approve projects as long as an effort was made to fit in with the neighborhood or the proposed neighborhood saw no investment for such a long time that it makes sense to allow it.

This process is free to the developer and adds a month of time to the planning process, but if you factor that into the planning process, it's not a problem.

There is no reason Kansas City can't have something like this as a way to ensure quality development in the oldest neighborhoods of the city. KC has quite a few historic districts, but presently, you can just come in and demolish to your heart's content. Sometimes, the city will step in and establish a historic overlay district, but that's not enough. You need to make sure projects fit in.

So, if a Cultural Resources Office were established in Kansas City with clear expectations, I'd be in full support of it as it would protect and enhance our oldest neighborhoods and lead to productive scrutiny of new developments.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was curious about the last individual building that was added to the KCMO Historic Register by the Historic Preservation Commission (used to be the Landmarks Commission I believe).

I believe it was the Charles & Josephine Peters House at 1228 W. 55th Street in 2017. There has not been much activity in adding new individual listings in the past decade, just mainly expanding historic districts.

https://www.kcmo.gov/home/showpublished ... 1527600000

There are so many buildings that should be on the local register that aren't -- ones that are on the National Register.

https://flatlandkc.org/arts-culture/th ... nsas-city/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:16 am I sense the need for a Preservation Board! I’ll add to this that if the Preservation Board declines approval, the applicant can go before the Planning Commission for appeal. If the Planning Commissions denies that, the only other option for appeal is the local courts. I propose we do that.
https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... commission
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

The case to preserve 4526 Warwick continues.

The owners claimed 'economic hardship' to allow for the demolition of the grand old house. The case was heard at the Historic Preservation Commission meeting on Friday and was denied. The next step may be court.

The house is safe for now.

https://fox4kc.com/news/denied-again-de ... -to-court/