Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by bricknose »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:36 pm This is getting too in the weeds (along with the times being off for first pitch for most of the year). The whole goal here is find a way to keep Oak a street. This how many hours it's closed doesn't really matter. It's still a third of the year at most and not even all day at that, the city needs to keep Oak a street. Bigger cities can figure it out I'm quite sure KC can.
If Oak becomes a tunnel under the stadium, why can’t it remain open during games?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bricknose wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:54 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:36 pm This is getting too in the weeds (along with the times being off for first pitch for most of the year). The whole goal here is find a way to keep Oak a street. This how many hours it's closed doesn't really matter. It's still a third of the year at most and not even all day at that, the city needs to keep Oak a street. Bigger cities can figure it out I'm quite sure KC can.
If Oak becomes a tunnel under the stadium, why can’t it remain open during games?
I don’t think a tunnel is realistic as far as below grade. I could see something similar to 14th street that goes under the convention center working though. Oak would still need to be adjusted and not a straight line.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:58 am
bricknose wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:54 am
I don’t think a tunnel is realistic as far as below grade. I could see something similar to 14th street that goes under the convention center working though. Oak would still need to be adjusted and not a straight line.
Yeah definitely not below grade. Thinking a Bartle Hall sitch.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:06 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:10 pm The KC Current parking thing is going to be the nail in the coffin for this stadium. Jesus. First the shooting at the parade and now everybody thinks it will cost at least $50 to park. What next?, a family accidentally drives their SUV off the top of a downtown parking structure?

The Current stadium will be a mess till the area is more developed and has parking structure and the streetcar opens. When those happen, there will be plenty of affordable and never free options to park for that stadium. In the mean time, the Current should do what it takes to get the cost for parking down to a reasonable price.
The city jacked up on-street parking along the super bowl parade route to $40/hr and we didn't hear a peep.
The Hilton garage at the President was over $60
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:44 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:06 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:10 pm The KC Current parking thing is going to be the nail in the coffin for this stadium. Jesus. First the shooting at the parade and now everybody thinks it will cost at least $50 to park. What next?, a family accidentally drives their SUV off the top of a downtown parking structure?

The Current stadium will be a mess till the area is more developed and has parking structure and the streetcar opens. When those happen, there will be plenty of affordable and never free options to park for that stadium. In the mean time, the Current should do what it takes to get the cost for parking down to a reasonable price.
The city jacked up on-street parking along the super bowl parade route to $40/hr and we didn't hear a peep.
The Hilton garage at the President was over $60
The Hilton and Hilton alone controls that one. Good revenue opportunity for them!
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Voting no
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Metro wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:30 pmVoting no
Specific reason?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:13 pm
Specific reason?
It just seems rushed with alot of questions. As someone else pointed out a month away from the vote and we haven't gotten a rendering from the Chiefs?

I don't understand why they couldn't have waited til the fall or even next spring to get this on the ballot and hammer out all the details.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I just snapped this pic. This is 1 hour before rush hour, constant stream of cars going both directions on oak. This is why I won't shut up about this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well you don't vote until April so maybe let them release the info you want/need. I'm not early voting today for that reason.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:25 pm Well you don't vote until April so maybe let them release the info you want/need. I'm not early voting today for that reason.
Yeah, I'm going to make a decision once we have all of the information. Now I'm a no but that can change. But, it's pretty ridiculous that the teams would allow early voting to start without educating those voters about the plans. The Royals are somewhat understandable because they've had to make a much more complicated decision but what the hell is the Chiefs' excuse?

Unless they want this to fail maybe so the teams aren't tied together anymore? I don't know, honestly seems like they're tanking it at this point.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:25 pm Well you don't vote until April so maybe let them release the info you want/need. I'm not early voting today for that reason.
Yes, too early to decide. I’ve given my list of the things I need to vote yes. I think they’re fairly reasonable requirements and will stick with that.

This kind of reminds me of the K renovation vote. I voted against the renovation but for the rolling roof. I figured I didn’t want a suburban stadium for another 30 years (the good part of my life) but if they were going to do it, I at least wanted a Super Bowl. Lost on both votes and no Super Bowl.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Metro wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:20 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:13 pm
Specific reason?
It just seems rushed with alot of questions. As someone else pointed out a month away from the vote and we haven't gotten a rendering from the Chiefs?

I don't understand why they couldn't have waited til the fall or even next spring to get this on the ballot and hammer out all the details.
Makes sense to me.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I think the rushed nature of everything is partly due to the fact that they know they have a supportive Governor with Mike Parsons for the state component of the funding. His current term ends in early 2025.

KCDowntown
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCDowntown wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:49 pm I think the rushed nature of everything is partly due to the fact that they know they have a supportive Governor with Mike Parsons for the state component of the funding. His current term ends in early 2025.

KCDowntown
Odds are the next governor will be as supportive as Parsons.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The #1 action that could gain yes votes in this election is for the city to immediately announce a plan for East Village.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:11 pm The #1 action that could gain yes votes in this election is for the city to immediately announce a plan for East Village.
Hey, maybe that was the plan all along!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dnweava wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:24 pm I just snapped this pic. This is 1 hour before rush hour, constant stream of cars going both directions on oak. This is why I won't shut up about this.
not sure if the photo of an empty 6 lane road is supposed to be serious or ironic
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:30 pm
dnweava wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:24 pm I just snapped this pic. This is 1 hour before rush hour, constant stream of cars going both directions on oak. This is why I won't shut up about
not sure if the photo of an empty 6 lane road is supposed to be serious or ironic
Yeah, that's like a mile of roadway in the middle of a city during a weekday close to peak hour with like 35 "moving" cars on it total in both directions. And yet it has the width of a six lane street. Not sure this pic does many favors. The streets in Downtown KC are not busy.

I'm not saying they should close Oak, but there really is a lot of available capacity on downtown streets.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They are planning 1500 parking spots o site. Makes sense