Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

And, she doesn’t allow any debate. You can’t respond to her posts unless you’re a friend. If you do get accepted and post anything, even polite but not in agreement, she blocks you. So she’s got herself a nice little echo chamber where no one is allowed to challenge her. This is par for the course with these people who always use “inclusivity” when convenient and when it makes them money but don’t actually believe in it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:06 pm There’s simply nothing in this section of East Crossroads worth the hassle and massive expense of saving.
A smaller building was worth saving and put directly into PetCo stadium design so guess not everybody agrees with you. Again if you are trying to build into a neighborhood, saving a building like that is a way to show you are trying.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:12 pm And, she doesn’t allow any debate. You can’t respond to her posts unless you’re a friend. If you do get accepted and post anything, even polite but not in agreement, she blocks you. So she’s got herself a nice little echo chamber where no one is allowed to challenge her. This is par for the course with these people who always use “inclusivity” when convenient and when it makes them money but don’t actually believe in it.
I don't see where she factually stated anything incorrectly or half truths? her billionaire rant is whatever, like you said, that's her political stance.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:16 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:06 pm There’s simply nothing in this section of East Crossroads worth the hassle and massive expense of saving.
A smaller building was worth saving and put directly into PetCo stadium design so guess not everybody agrees with you.
Yeah, because it was 100 years old and declared a historic building in 1978. They had no choice but to incorporate it. Like I said, nothing like this exists in this part of EC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Get you someone that looks at you the way DCole looks at this stadium plan. Zero faults!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:18 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:12 pm And, she doesn’t allow any debate. You can’t respond to her posts unless you’re a friend. If you do get accepted and post anything, even polite but not in agreement, she blocks you. So she’s got herself a nice little echo chamber where no one is allowed to challenge her. This is par for the course with these people who always use “inclusivity” when convenient and when it makes them money but don’t actually believe in it.
I don't see where she factually stated anything incorrectly or half truths? her billionaire rant is whatever, like you said, that's her political stance.
Really?!

The comment on parking, “it just isn’t here”. Flat out false.

East Village only required a bank to be moved. False. An apartment complex needed demolished.

Royals only communicating with Matt Abbot. False. Just because others aren’t comfortable admitting they’re willing to sell and talking to the Royals doesn’t mean they’re not in negotiations. I’d be afraid of this lady too.

A change in Clientele. Partly false. Sure, new customers will come down but many of them enjoy the offerings that the remaining crossroads has to offer. Baseball fans are not all simply into cheap beer and hotdogs like she tried to stereotype them as. Also, this won’t change all of the crossroads and its organic growth and culture will only get stronger.

Her politics are clear - the comment against giving billionaires any kind of help make that obvious.
Last edited by DColeKC on Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:24 pm Get you someone that looks at you the way DCole looks at this stadium plan. Zero faults!
I don’t think it has zero faults. I’m just responding. I mean am
I wrong about the reason why petco and Camden yards saved buildings? They had too. You know what they didn’t save, the tenants inside of them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:26 pm
Really?!

I mean if she means right there then yeah there are no garages. She probably struggles with her current customers complaining about parking as silly as it is to us.
East Village only required a bank to be moved. False. An apartment complex needed demolished.
She said one business. yes one poorly thrown together housing building too, I'm not sure I'd lead with this considering the site the Royals picked.
Royals only communicating with Matt Abbot. False. Just because others aren’t comfortable admitting they’re willing to sell and talking to the Royals doesn’t mean they’re not in negotiations. I’d be afraid of this lady too.
I mean Sherman basically said this too that this came on fast so now they are talking with business owners. Her point clearly is property owners were talked with but not business owners.
A change in Clientele. Partly false. Sure, new customers will come down but many of them enjoy the offerings that the remaining crossroads has to offer. Baseball fans are not all simply into cheap beer and hotdogs like she tried to stereotype them as. Also, this won’t change all of the crossroads and its organic growth and culture will only get stronger.
There you go again trying to argue opinions as facts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:27 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:24 pm Get you someone that looks at you the way DCole looks at this stadium plan. Zero faults!
I don’t think it has zero faults. I’m just responding. I mean am
I wrong about the reason why petco and Camden yards saved buildings? They had too. You know what they didn’t save, the tenants inside of them.
All I stated was if they really wanted to "blend in with the neighborhood" as they are stating, things like saving a building in your design helps with that. Not closing roads would be another. Actually having good street interaction is another (we don't know if that's coming). They are the ones saying this but they have zero in their plan SHOWING it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I agree with KCP that it would be nice to incorporate some crossroads facades into the stadium. But there really is nothing worth saving. The only thing that is large enough and has some crossroads character is the uhaul building and the only thing that would be saved is the brick on the front of it. The bottom floor is a mess and is wrapped with a giant metal facade, so it would have to be rebuilt. But it would still be nice to save it or make it part of a larger tower or something.

The most attractive building in the area is this one https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0933007 ... ?entry=ttu

Which I don't think will be effected by the stadium. Right now it looks like this building is barely being used, so a stadium across the street from this would likely activate this building into a more lively use.

I also do not see how this stadium goes up with zero parking directly connected to it. It has got to have something. I know there is plenty of parking for most people, but there needs to be one close garage for people that will pay whatever it takes to park close, and also for handicapped etc. If you don't have something very close I think you really do risk tear downs for surface lots. A garage just east of the arena just for the public would be fine and hidden away. Or maybe the "village" thing will have 1000 or so extra spaces for the public (hopefully underground).

The most urban stadiums still have at least one garage nearby as in across the street. Petco has one, baltimore does, DC has them. They should add a garage behind t-mobile arena somewhere. It might help ease people's minds.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:35 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:26 pm

Really?!

I mean if she means right there then yeah there are no garages. She probably struggles with her current customers complaining about parking as silly as it is to us.
She said one business. yes one poorly thrown together housing building too, I'm not sure I'd lead with this considering the site the Royals picked.
I mean Sherman basically said this too that this came on fast so now they are talking with business owners. Her point clearly is property owners were talked with but not business owners.
There you go again trying to argue opinions as facts.
This is odd, you are so quick to defend her opinions as facts but want to criticize mine. Also, I don't need to clarify everything I say as an opinion unless I missed that along with every other member on some kind of forum rules. Do I need to constantly add a disclaimer, "in my opinion"? I didn't say it was a fact that it won't change all of the crossroads even though I'm willing to bet everything I have in the bank it won't... She's been around the crossroads for a handful of years. I've been a downtown resident for 15+ years, a commercial tenant and other things I won't mention so I can't be doxed. I have far more insight, knowledge and information than she does with exception to her own business operations which she's clearly the best to ever do it, so there's that.

You're also really.. and I mean really trying to justify her comments. She literally said the Royals have ONLY TALKED TO MATT ABBOTT. This is not true. Sherman did not say this, not even close. Her point is they've only talked to Matt Abbott, that's not true.

So I guess I'll keep carrying water for the Royals and you can do the same for the most vocal, deceitful opposition leader for the project.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

LOL I'm for this project. You are so far up the ass of the Royals on this you can't see that anybody asking questions isn't on the pro side. What I'm trying to do is flesh out what the opposition is saying and posting SHE'S LYING, ARE ARE TWO NOT ONE BUSINESSES isn't going to win you any favor. I don't see what she posted as some sort of material lie that needs to be dismissed, it needs to be addressed.

when you post "partly false" and then continue on with what appears to be facts backing up why you said it was false, that's why I called it out as opinion. nobody knows what will happen to the crossroads with or without this. We have a pretty good idea without the course it's on but with this, it is a true fork in the road with this stadium though. Whether the majority of the people look back and find that to be a positive (like PNL was/is) is up to decisions everybody makes right now. Everybody says "too early" but it's really not too early at all.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:15 pm LOL I'm for this project. You are so far up the ass of the Royals on this you can't see that anybody asking questions isn't on the pro side. What I'm trying to do is flesh out what the opposition is saying and posting SHE'S LYING, ARE ARE TWO NOT ONE BUSINESSES isn't going to win you any favor. I don't see what she posted as some sort of material lie that needs to be dismissed, it needs to be addressed.

when you post "partly false" and then continue on with what appears to be facts backing up why you said it was false, that's why I called it out as opinion. nobody knows what will happen to the crossroads with or without this. We have a pretty good idea without the course it's on but with this, it is a true fork in the road with this stadium though. Whether the majority of the people look back and find that to be a positive (like PNL was/is) is up to decisions everybody makes right now. Everybody says "too early" but it's really not too early at all.
I know you're for this project, which is why I find it so confusing that you want to call out anything I don't pronounce as my own opinion as me presenting my opinion as facts, yet you're trying to defend statements she's making as factual that are clearly and utterly false. The difference is I'm in here talking as a fan of downtown with zero... and I mean zero desire or effort to change a single mind in here and she's telling lies, bending the truth and presenting her opinion as fact in order to influence public opinion. GO call her out! lol

EDIT: I'm not "up the ass" of the Royals. I'm excited and want this badly. I'm enthusiastic, don't get it confused.
Last edited by DColeKC on Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belvidere »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:15 pm LOL I'm for this project. You are so far up the ass of the Royals on this you can't see that anybody asking questions isn't on the pro side. What I'm trying to do is flesh out what the opposition is saying and posting SHE'S LYING, ARE ARE TWO NOT ONE BUSINESSES isn't going to win you any favor. I don't see what she posted as some sort of material lie that needs to be dismissed, it needs to be addressed.

I was at the Crossroads meeting and I guess we came away with very different information.

I did listen to Jill and I understood that only does she know her business very well, she doesn't think she could survive construction or the new stadium as a business owner. She's providing and paying for health care for some of her employees, which is damn impressive for anyone in the hospitality industry. She signed a 10-year lease. What is she supposed to do if she can't make payroll or the lease during construction? She's screwed.

There was another woman who runs an event space and brides are already calling her. They're so worried about the stadium ruining their big day, even the rumor of construction is enough to make people stop coming.

I didn't realize that problems with power and water are common in the Crossroads.

One lady said that parking is a problem right now and always has been and she's been there for 20 years. That doesn't mean it's insurmountable, but this isn't a new problem.

The traffic planner with the streetcar suggested that Kansas City is going to have to have a traffic control center that automatically engages with multiple events or large events. Other cities have this.

The only people who seemed happy owned property. They talked about asking for incentives and tax abatements and all the things that property owners can ask for, but tenants don't.

If you add up all the tenants and their employees who could be affected and possibly pushed out because they can't make their payments, do you know how many people could be affected? 500? 1,000?

This forum spends so much time talking about buildings and so little talking about people.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Belvidere wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:40 pm

I was at the Crossroads meeting and I guess we came away with very different information.

I did listen to Jill and I understood that only does she know her business very well, she doesn't think she could survive construction or the new stadium as a business owner. She's providing and paying for health care for some of her employees, which is damn impressive for anyone in the hospitality industry. She signed a 10-year lease. What is she supposed to do if she can't make payroll or the lease during construction? She's screwed.

There was another woman who runs an event space and brides are already calling her. They're so worried about the stadium ruining their big day, even the rumor of construction is enough to make people stop coming.

I didn't realize that problems with power and water are common in the Crossroads.

One lady said that parking is a problem right now and always has been and she's been there for 20 years. That doesn't mean it's insurmountable, but this isn't a new problem.

The traffic planner with the streetcar suggested that Kansas City is going to have to have a traffic control center that automatically engages with multiple events or large events. Other cities have this.

The only people who seemed happy owned property. They talked about asking for incentives and tax abatements and all the things that property owners can ask for, but tenants don't.

If you add up all the tenants and their employees who could be affected and possibly pushed out because they can't make their payments, do you know how many people could be affected? 500? 1,000?

This forum spends so much time talking about buildings and so little talking about people.
I've been begging on here for the CBA / royals to somehow help those business owners. It's the one big item that is keeping me from fully getting behind this thing. Not only those directly kicked out but those close who may not survive a huge rent increase to stay in business. My 2nd biggest item is Oak closing
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

^ I know I don't kowtow to the small business owners impacted and can come across insensitive. I'm technically a small business owner myself with a small team, but my location isn't nearly as important as many of these folks.

That said, I don't doubt Jill knows her own business. She has her niche of running small, low overhead and very safe concepts. I think she knows her business and that's where it stops. She's not thinking big picture and why would she. She's only concerned with what impacts her. She's of the opinion that even it's bad for the city and most of it's citizens, if it's good for her it's the correct choice. I'm clearly in disagreement and I don't appreciate her using misinformation to get the sympathy of voters.

There will be winners and losers in anything like this. I hope she can be relocated and come out better, stronger and more profitable. She'd never admit that this ended up being best for her, but that's a possibility. If this stadium means the end of one of her several bars, so be it. It's worth it.

As for the parking companies. Of course they're going to complain about parking because they all want 20 dedicated parking spots for their specific business. They can't honestly compare what they think is good parking with event parking. It's not the same.

There's no doubt in my mind that more people, for a far longer period of time are positively impacted by this stadium site than will be hurt and it's not even close. Not to discount the ones it will hurt and I truly do hope that the city, Royals and existing property owners help anyone who wants to relocate out as much as possible. They can help minimize the damage.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:39 pm

I know you're for this project, which is why I find it so confusing that you want to call out anything I don't pronounce as my own opinion as me presenting my opinion as facts, yet you're trying to defend statements she's making as factual that are clearly and utterly false. The difference is I'm in here talking as a fan of downtown with zero... and I mean zero desire or effort to change a single mind in here and she's telling lies, bending the truth and presenting her opinion as fact in order to influence public opinion. GO call her out! lol

EDIT: I'm not "up the ass" of the Royals. I'm excited and want this badly. I'm enthusiastic, don't get it confused.
Because her comments/points don't seem to be "lies" to me. 2 versus one business isn't a lie and it's still making the point that the EV site kicks out a lot less people. They are also obviously are mostly talking to property owners, not business owners. now did they talk to MORE than just Matt? I don't know that but the point remains.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:52 pm
Belvidere wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:40 pm

I've been begging on here for the CBA / royals to somehow help those business owners. It's the one big item that is keeping me from fully getting behind this thing. Not only those directly kicked out but those close who may not survive a huge rent increase to stay in business. My 2nd biggest item is Oak closing
Why couldn't the city offer tax abatements to the property owners directly surrounding the stadium in exchange for them capping the percentage of rent increase for a certain amount of years?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I stand with DCole on the ballpark thru thick and thin
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:55 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:39 pm

Because her comments/points don't seem to be "lies" to me. 2 versus one business isn't a lie and it's still making the point that the EV site kicks out a lot less people. They are also obviously are mostly talking to property owners, not business owners. now did they talk to MORE than just Matt? I don't know that but the point remains.
The parking is a lie. We've been handling sold out arena shows combined with sold out other events on the same days with everyone finding parking for almost 15 years.

Ok fine, her East Village comment isn't a lie, it's wrong and fails to mention the other negatives of the site but of course she doesn't actually care about tax payers, she cares about herself.

She doesn't have access to privileged information. The negotiations with property owners are confidential unless the owner wants to disclose details and some have signed NDA's as part of the process. If she's the amazing business person she claims to be, you'd think she'd surely know that many property owners who want to sell are not going to jeopardize maximizing their own profits by telling anyone they're talking to the Royals. She says they've only talked to Matt as if she has that factual knowledge. She doesn't.

Also, there's zero reason to have any talks with anyone who doesn't own their building at this point. There will be a time to have these discussions but it's not now. I'm not saying the Royals staff can't be talking to tenants from a PR/Community relations stand point, but getting into relocation help and assistance isn't happening and doesn't need to just yet. Just like we don't need to see the entire game day traffic plan tomorrow.