Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by grovester »

So not impossible, just not worth their effort?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:04 pm “Process wasn’t moving along” or whatever variation Sherman said. Idea are just ideas until they start getting executed and that’s when it gets hard and road blocks come flying at you.
is that confirmation?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:04 pm “Process wasn’t moving along” or whatever variation Sherman said. Idea are just ideas until they start getting executed and that’s when it gets hard and road blocks come flying at you.
is that confirmation?
Not talking specifics but not denying there were roadblocks making the site fall from higher on the list.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:22 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:12 pm
is that confirmation?
Not talking specifics but not denying there were roadblocks making the site fall from higher on the list.
But federal level roadblocks? Wink wink nudge nudge. My source hasn't heard anything but they aren't with the feds anymore
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

This is an actual question I'd like to find an answer to: what legal juristiction does the feds have over city owned property other than FAA height restrictions which the stadium would be far under.

I know I've watched a YouTube video from Stewart Hicks, architect from Chicago, about how there is one or two historic high rise towers in downtown Chicago that are currently vacant because they could see into a federal building from their windows but I'd have to rewatch the video as I don't remember if the feds bought those buildings or not. I also can't remember which video he talked about it in
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I’d be interested to hear how the meeting with the Royals and the Crossroads neighborhood went if anyone in attendance has time to write about it.

How receptive is the Crossroads generally?
Are the Royals helping or hurting their cause with the neighborhood?

KCDowntown
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCDowntown wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:17 pm I’d be interested to hear how the meeting with the Royals and the Crossroads neighborhood went if anyone in attendance has time to write about it.

KCDowntown
Damn it I meant to go to that.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCDowntown wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:17 pm I’d be interested to hear how the meeting with the Royals and the Crossroads neighborhood went if anyone in attendance has time to write about it.

KCDowntown
I imagine they’re supportive IF the Royals included the existing businesses on site in negotiations and offered relocated spaces. That is where a majority of the anger is coming from and not from the actual vision itself.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:57 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:58 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:53 pm
Not the only issue, but security concerns raised by GSA and FPS at the Federal building, as well as the FTA & FAA buildings meant that the site was ruled out. It’s annoying for sure, but it doesn’t outlaw development in EV forever, just not things that generate large crowds regularly.
If this is accurate (I have no reason to believe it's not) it needs to be made public. There is no reason for it not to be and helps everyone understand the constraints with the EV site that made it a non-starter. However ridiculous the fed's reasoning is. I have a contact over there that I'd be pretty confident could confirm this.
Kind of curious that this never came up in the 20-odd years that EV has been the future home of the Royals.
20 years is a lot of time of rumblings, and many security managers, GSA managers, and FPS regional supervisors to rotate through. They’re not fixed positions, and someone in the past may have said it would be no issue, but that doesn’t mean the ones there now see it the same way.

The main entrance to the site would’ve been barely a block from the main vehicle entrance and loading dock area of the Fed building, and a block and a half from the front door. 15-20,000 people en masse is a lot for a handful of security guards to monitor across 2 facilities and 4 total sites.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:28 pm Damn it I meant to go to that.
You must have been too busy throwing out wild allegations and speculations as absolute truths.
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:01 pm The main entrance to the site would’ve been barely a block from the main vehicle entrance and loading dock area of the Fed building, and a block and a half from the front door. 15-20,000 people en masse is a lot for a handful of security guards to monitor across 2 facilities and 4 total sites.
There are only a few entrances, no? and they are pretty small, no? I drive and ride by there all the time and it is like Fort Knox. The security is insanely tight and I suspect the threat level is close to nil, though I certainly understand why it's like that. I visited the OKC memorial last year and it changed me forever. Still, I don't see how a baseball stadium presents a threat. I would think having a highway underneath a stadium presents a greater danger.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

taxi wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:20 pm
You must have been too busy throwing out wild allegations and speculations as absolute truths.
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:01 pm The main entrance to the site would’ve been barely a block from the main vehicle entrance and loading dock area of the Fed building, and a block and a half from the front door. 15-20,000 people en masse is a lot for a handful of security guards to monitor across 2 facilities and 4 total sites.
There are only a few entrances, no? and they are pretty small, no? I drive and ride by there all the time and it is like Fort Knox. The security is insanely tight and I suspect the threat level is close to nil, though I certainly understand why it's like that. I visited the OKC memorial last year and it changed me forever. Still, I don't see how a baseball stadium presents a threat. I would think having a highway underneath a stadium presents a greater danger.
Feds care about federal property, and it isn’t the threat presented, it’s the possibility that crowds present to manage a possible threat. Those are the primary issues.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Color me skeptical on the Feds shut this down narrative that is now bubbling up. We all know the Feds can present obstacles to get projects to completion, but just like the FAA there are exceptions given all the time. I mean, in Chicago the Federal Building and GSA building are located in the Loop and surrounded by development, no? Are they keeping national secrets at the Federal Building in KCMO? How do other cities get around these restrictions?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

taxi wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:20 pm
Sick burn. Please oh please show me the wild allegations and speculations I’ve made as absolute truths and maybe you have but honestly what you say is so irrelevant to me I can’t remember what you say thirty seconds after I read it.

Fuck sometimes I want to dox myself to stop these ridiculous comments.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:52 pm Color me skeptical on the Feds shut this down narrative that is now bubbling up. We all know the Feds can present obstacles to get projects to completion, but just like the FAA there are exceptions given all the time. I mean, in Chicago the Federal Building and GSA building are located in the Loop and surrounded by development, no? Are they keeping national secrets at the Federal Building in KCMO? How do other cities get around these restrictions?
It’s not blanket opposition to development, it’s opposition to the home plat entrance essentially at the door step, with 20k avg attendance 81 days a year, at two facilities with skeleton crews for security. Again, not the primary driver to the XR preference over EV, but it was definitely a factor.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:52 pm Color me skeptical on the Feds shut this down narrative that is now bubbling up. We all know the Feds can present obstacles to get projects to completion, but just like the FAA there are exceptions given all the time. I mean, in Chicago the Federal Building and GSA building are located in the Loop and surrounded by development, no? Are they keeping national secrets at the Federal Building in KCMO? How do other cities get around these restrictions?
Everything takes ten times as long when it involves the feds.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:57 pm
It’s not blanket opposition to development, it’s opposition to the home plat entrance essentially at the door step, with 20k avg attendance 81 days a year, at two facilities with skeleton crews for security. Again, not the primary driver to the XR preference over EV, but it was definitely a factor.
This is interesting because the Royals renderings for EV had home plate at 9th and Cherry. Was this concern for the courthouse? Also, how hard would it be for the local feds to put in a request for funding security upgrades at a facility that would see increased surrounding traffic starting in 2028?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:28 pm

KCDowntown
Damn it I meant to go to that.
I don't believe the royals were there tonight and it was a private neighborhood only meeting
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:05 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:57 pm
This is interesting because the Royals renderings for EV had home plate at 9th and Cherry. Was this concern for the courthouse? Also, how hard would it be for the local feds to put in a request for funding security upgrades at a facility that would see increased surrounding traffic starting in 2028?

The top two outlined structures are the FAA/FTA building, and it’s associated parking garage, the southern is the Richard Bolling federal facility, and it’s associated parking infrastructure.

The cost that FPS, GSA, and by extension the American tax payer is liable for to fill one guard position at one of these facilities is astronomical (like between $180,000-$200,000 annually). Some of these facilities have dozens of positions. Adding points of high activity, as well as the associated security concerns that a large crowd would present that close to federal buildings is not some “throw a few dollars at it” issue. You’re talking about adding millions of dollars in new security that will only increase in cost annually, that will have to be scheduled irregularly. It’s not just tossing up a few cameras and a gate, it’s manning those positions, developing the secondary and tertiary security behind those elements.

The best security to the feds is having no issue at all. It’s easier for them to have empty lots or low rise development adjacent to the facilities that provide low traffic, and predictability. Crowds and gamedays would provide Chaos and security concerns constantly, and that’s a lot more than FPS or GSA would be willing to simply negotiate on. It’s a non-starter.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Yeah pretty much smells like bullshit to me. Definitely not the reason EV was killed. Could have been overcome.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:30 pm
Yeah pretty much smells like bullshit to me. Definitely not the reason EV was killed. Could have been overcome.
I am not at all claiming it was the only reason. It’s one of a few things that compounded to make EV untenable. I didn’t even know that security concerns of the feds was even a discussion until I started working security here relatively recently. It’s not a brush off thing by any means though.