Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:14 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:45 pm It’s not arrogance, it’s just part of the truth. I don’t think anyone is saying downtown is “only successful” because of the larger investments that have been made but it’s absolutely the rocket fuel that has propelled the resurgence and current status of Kansas City’s downtown. You remove a few key, larger developments and you remove the vast majority of progress made over 20 years.
I'm just saying that you personally are a huge negative to me voting for this proposal because you seem to represent, or at least run with, the people on that development team. And if the way you've presented this plan and talked down to those who have a different opinion represents that group, I'm not with it. You're personally hurting this proposal, in my opinion. Calling out David Johnson, business owners, leaders of the community it's taking over is off-putting. If you want it to proceed, it'd be best to just shut your mouth.
I certainly won’t be shutting my mouth. You have personally insulted me dozens of times over the years and have always had a negative attitude toward Cordish. Let’s stop pretending you just all of that sudden don’t like them.

Calling out business owners? They’re in the local media making comments and posting things on their own social media? I’m not supposed to point that out? You’re not voting yes regardless and this is well established by your comments over the years.

And once again for the people in the back. I have access to information but am not officially affiliated. Not yet anyway. I get to express my opinion just like the rest of you. If you’re going to let a fellow downtown residents opinion dictate your vote, you’re not making a well informed decision.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What I'm waiting on more details on are how the Royals are going to help the surrounding community they are impacting, how their building will actually integrate with the neighborhood, how they (city) are going to mitigate closing Oak (or actually just fixing that and keep it open). All we have now is one or two pretty pictures that have no substance and all the fun stuff will probably be value engineered out.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Belvidere wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:21 am So, exactly how would a soccer game at the riverfront, a few concerts at different venues, and a baseball game work at the same time in terms of traffic? We have a highway system that was outdated the minute it was finished and now you're going to burden it in this manner?

This is not the right location. I would have fought to put it on the East Side, by the Jazz District.

This stadium will probably completely kill any talk of decommissioning the North Loop, God only knows what it will do to the East Loop, and everyone has been striving to improve air quality or existing neighborhoods will be told, once again, to make a sacrifice for other people's entertainment or convenience.

Some of you are giving no consideration to the small businesses and artists who organically built the Crossroads and held the line when nobody else to gave a damn. What's worse, there's no reason for it. We don't have to do this. All of these resources are being concentrated in one part of downtown and everybody else can't get their damn sidewalks repaired. That's not progress.

We need employers and residents a lot more than we need entertainment options. But those are the nuts and bolts of a city and not the bright and shiny projects. Do you want a downtown that's active? Start building housing of all types an invest in a transit system that's actually viable.

The reason we're all in a hurry is because of the 3/8 cent sales tax and tying it to the Royals and Chiefs. If they have to split that vote, the Chiefs will ask for more money that we probably can't afford. Right? And we're still paying a ton of money every year on the debt service for Power and Light. This is all about money, not about doing the right thing for generations.
It’s not that some of us aren’t giving consideration to small businesses and artists but this particular area isn’t representative of the entire greater community. We can acknowledge the negative consequences of this stadium while also recognizing that overall, it’s best for downtown.

You mention we need employers and residents a lot more than we do entertainment. Well what’s currently in this part of EC certainly isn’t bringing us any of that. The stadium will accomplish both of those things you agree we need.

I know certain types of people with certain predetermined outlooks on society and capitalism think this is purely about a money grab for rich people but I find that to be ridiculous. No denying some wealthy people could personally benefit but it’s not without investing their own resources. Whether you like it or not, we need these “rich” peoples money to build the things we need. The housing, the jobs and the entertainment. We need big shiny things like a baseball stadium to draw attention and actually help create the demand for better public transit.

So while some people on here are trying to frame my takes and others as not caring about certain things, specifically small business owners, that’s just not true. I think in the long run this plan will be much better for the majority of them even if it hurts a few in the immediate short term.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

How does the east loop site not have the same traffic concerns for you? How does this site impact the north loop more than the east village site? Pure fear mongering
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belvidere »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:11 am
Belvidere wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:21 am So, exactly how would a soccer game at the riverfront, a few concerts at different venues, and a baseball game work at the same time in terms of traffic? We have a highway system that was outdated the minute it was finished and now you're going to burden it in this manner?

This is not the right location. I would have fought to put it on the East Side, by the Jazz District.

This stadium will probably completely kill any talk of decommissioning the North Loop, God only knows what it will do to the East Loop, and everyone has been striving to improve air quality or existing neighborhoods will be told, once again, to make a sacrifice for other people's entertainment or convenience.

Some of you are giving no consideration to the small businesses and artists who organically built the Crossroads and held the line when nobody else to gave a damn. What's worse, there's no reason for it. We don't have to do this. All of these resources are being concentrated in one part of downtown and everybody else can't get their damn sidewalks repaired. That's not progress.

We need employers and residents a lot more than we need entertainment options. But those are the nuts and bolts of a city and not the bright and shiny projects. Do you want a downtown that's active? Start building housing of all types an invest in a transit system that's actually viable.

The reason we're all in a hurry is because of the 3/8 cent sales tax and tying it to the Royals and Chiefs. If they have to split that vote, the Chiefs will ask for more money that we probably can't afford. Right? And we're still paying a ton of money every year on the debt service for Power and Light. This is all about money, not about doing the right thing for generations.
It’s not that some of us aren’t giving consideration to small businesses and artists but this particular area isn’t representative of the entire greater community. We can acknowledge the negative consequences of this stadium while also recognizing that overall, it’s best for downtown.

You mention we need employers and residents a lot more than we do entertainment. Well what’s currently in this part of EC certainly isn’t bringing us any of that. The stadium will accomplish both of those things you agree we need.

I know certain types of people with certain predetermined outlooks on society and capitalism think this is purely about a money grab for rich people but I find that to be ridiculous. No denying some wealthy people could personally benefit but it’s not without investing their own resources. Whether you like it or not, we need these “rich” peoples money to build the things we need. The housing, the jobs and the entertainment. We need big shiny things like a baseball stadium to draw attention and actually help create the demand for better public transit.

So while some people on here are trying to frame my takes and others as not caring about certain things, specifically small business owners, that’s just not true. I think in the long run this plan will be much better for the majority of them even if it hurts a few in the immediate short term.
They're not representative of the greater community? What does that mean, exactly?

You're ignoring history. Everyone said, years ago, putting highways into downtown neighborhoods was for the greater good. Well, that sucked. My neighborhood still has empty lots from Model Cities. They said consolidating public housing was for the greater good and now we're still digging ourselves out, because then HUD said oops, consolidating poverty is a bad thing.

Trickle down economics doesn't work. I've spent the last 20 years watching the riverfront transform, the River Market, and Crossroads, while my community remains on life support in no small part due to delayed development that is driven by speculation. Paseo Gateway has helped; if they would let that continue, we may still see benefits.

It's taken us years to get development restarted and that was a volunteer effort and a lot of screaming. It didn't just happen. And the speculation is actually getting worse. I seen people die of greed rather than activate a property. I can give you specific examples. There are more vacant properties on my street than ever. My neighborhood is being held hostage by rich investors who can sit on a property forever. We look like we are blighted by people who can't afford to fix their property and that's a factor, but I have mapped this out and I can assure you it's rich people who are hurting us. We are line on a spreadsheet to them. We are not a community. They live in places like Leawood and Weatherby Lake. We are the ones who have to keep their places from being broken into by squatters. Our property taxes are subsidizing their investment because they are paying far less than we are.

So we get screwed either way. There are people in my neighborhood right now who are at risk of being displaced. We are desperately trying to figure out how to do multiple things at the same time. Do I want development? Hell, yes. I'm tired of staring at empty spaces and not having anything to do. We don't have enough neighbors. We need more people to support a small business or even a daycare, which we desperately need. I also understand how long an investor is willing to hold a property vacant to get that kind of money they expect. Most investors lie to us about what they're going to do, 90 percent of the time. There's a building on my block right now where this lady put minimal investment into it. She bought it for less than $800,000 and listed it for just under $2 million. It will sit there forever because it's not worth that and there's no way to put enough apartments into it to make it work.

There is no economic study backing up what you're saying about the stadium. Have we had a traffic review? An environmental review? All those things we are supposed to do before major development? Has the South Loop cap been approved by MoDot? Real public engagement?

The worst thing you can do as a developer is to go into a community and say you know what is best for them. First of all, they hate your guts. Secondly, you might not be right.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

I’m excited. It’ll be great.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Of course there have been no environmental or traffic studies. Economic impacts of downtown baseball stadiums are wildly contradictory and supporters pick and choose the ones that suit their needs. The only certainty is that it will drive up property values, mostly within a quarter mile. That is good for some and bad for others. Like most elements of capitalism run amok – and that is precisely what this is – the ones that need the help will be the ones that do not benefit.

Of course a lot of people here hate the P&L. It has served its purpose and was undoubtedly a catalyst for our downtown rejuvenation and those same people appreciate that, but we don't like the manufactured product that is completely void of creativity. It has served and continues to serve its purpose, but it should be contained in its cage and kept away from successful, organic development that is clearly if not slowly spreading east in the Crossroads. That area does not need this kind of help. The EV does.

If all the pie in the sky elements of those pretty pictures were transferred to an EV rendering, you could run the streetcar there for the same price and do other things to make it more connected to other parts of downtown. Instead, we will get a Cordish circle jerk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I literally watched google maps of downtown all morning and afternoon and other than just a few tiny sections for very brief moments, none of the highways ever even turned orange, let along red. The highways in downtown DC are red all day long every day of the week.

The amount of highway (and surface street) capacity in downtown KC is absolutely nuts. Just like the amount of parking is nuts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This would take some real life event traffic management for gamedays, something Tmo could already have used, to get implemented properly. Things like how to route Truman for high flow, better signage for parking and traffic flow, how to keep Main from being a primary thoroughfare, etc.

These are the things I don't feel like we will do. This wouldn't impact me even a little but it's going to be a negative to the Royals and the driving fans they need to still be able to accommodate.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:38 am
I literally watched google maps of downtown all morning and afternoon and other than just a few tiny sections for very brief moments, none of the highways ever even turned orange, let along red. The highways in downtown DC are red all day long every day of the week.

The amount of highway (and surface street) capacity in downtown KC is absolutely nuts. Just like the amount of parking is nuts.
there is capacity, it's traffic management they need to get better at using that capacity. Sorry but google maps isn't accounting for real life 35k people going to a baseball game.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCDowntown wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:05 am Just wanted to put my thoughts out here:

I support this site over East Village for a variety of reasons...
  • Proximity to streetcar. I consider the streetcar our most important asset for the future of downtown as it help centralize downtown for the region as it hopefully continues to expand. Giving people a realistic option of hopping on the streetcar anywhere in the city and having a short walk to the stadium is really important.
  • Brings millions of people close to the center of downtown, which will support more retail and restaurant options for residents and visitors
  • Close to small scale development and will allow for more organic growth in the Crossroads (may seem like an oxymoron to some on here)
  • Quicker access to hotels and convention
  • Most Kansas Citians are familiar with the location
  • Removes the KCStar building which just deadens the entire north part of the Crossroads.
My tiny soapbox:
I obviously don't love the idea of removing some really great buildings and businesses from the area, but this is a decision for 50-60 years. There are six blocks in this plan - 2 are currently a massive, empty eyesore, 3/4 of one is surface parking, 1/2 of one is a self-storage complex, and about a third of what's remaining is also surface parking. This stadium isn't getting plopped down over the YJ's area or 18th Street, its mostly in a pretty distressed area with real green shoots of activity, but not enough for me to want to move this to the East Village which is effectively dead 365 days a year and many blocks removed from the best parts of our downtown. Keeping the stadium as close as possible to the center of downtown helps drive interactions with conventions, hotels, existing businesses & residents. I'd rather not have to hope the stadium ends up helping downtown like we would if it was in the East Village.

Regarding the plan that was presented earlier this week I was pleasantly surprised because I really didn't love either rendering for the East Village or NKC.
  • I really didn't expect that Royals would build a stadium and not include structured parking in it. Eliminating the ability for people to drive up/drive out and not experience part of the city in a huge plus. And I don't think they could put this in the East Village without massive parking structures.
  • I don't like skybridges, but in this case I think it makes sense. Dispersing a large crowd and making them wait at two stoplights on Truman to get back into DT would cause large backups if everyone leaves at once
  • I really like the exits on the south side, sending people directly into the most active part of the Crossroads
  • I liked the transparency of the stadium, way more windows facing outwards then I expected - it's not just some blank circular spaceship looking thing looming over the Crossroads.
  • I don't love anything east of Oak in this plan, and feel like that side of Locust will be ignored. I know its a pipe dream, but if they could do the stuff east of Oak and keep some of the best structures it would really help integrate it with the city.
  • I don't think dropping Oak is a massive thing, but they'd need to clean up getting over 670 on Locust. Were probably getting to the breaking point with how many streets we can close over 670 with this and the lid without it having consequences - so I might be totally wrong here
81 busy days a year at the Stadium, added to 50-60 busy T-Mobile Center days a year, added to 100 busy days at Union Station, added to 50 busy days at the Kauffman, added to 50 busy nights at the Midland, added to 50 busy days at the Convention Center, added to 60 busy nights at the P&L. We've still got a long way to go, but this gets us that much closer to having a downtown that's active 365 days a year.

Just my two cents.

KCDowntown
Great post. I would add that I too don't like urban ped bridges, but this one is very different. This one not only gives people quick access to the large parking structures around the P&L District, but it serves as an architectural element and focal point. It could be an attraction within itself and be draw to the 670 park (which will need reasons to go there when there are no events). I think it would be a really nice addition to the downtown area if done right similar to the BP Pedestrian Bridge in Chicago's Millennium Park.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:42 am
GRID wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:38 am

there is capacity, it's traffic management they need to get better at using that capacity. Sorry but google maps isn't accounting for real life 35k people going to a baseball game.
Why is google maps not accurate? I use it every single day because I actually live in a congested metro and pretty much have to use google maps or waze any time I drive to avoid congestion as much as possible. It's pretty accurate. It's accurate right down the lanes and deciding to use express lanes etc.

I agree, it's all about traffic management. I don't know if KCMO government has the skills to pull it off, but it sure has the capacity. And this is an issue no matter where the stadium goes.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Belvidere wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:45 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:11 am

They're not representative of the greater community? What does that mean, exactly?

You're ignoring history. Everyone said, years ago, putting highways into downtown neighborhoods was for the greater good. Well, that sucked. My neighborhood still has empty lots from Model Cities. They said consolidating public housing was for the greater good and now we're still digging ourselves out, because then HUD said oops, consolidating poverty is a bad thing.

Trickle down economics doesn't work. I've spent the last 20 years watching the riverfront transform, the River Market, and Crossroads, while my community remains on life support in no small part due to delayed development that is driven by speculation. Paseo Gateway has helped; if they would let that continue, we may still see benefits.

It's taken us years to get development restarted and that was a volunteer effort and a lot of screaming. It didn't just happen. And the speculation is actually getting worse. I seen people die of greed rather than activate a property. I can give you specific examples. There are more vacant properties on my street than ever. My neighborhood is being held hostage by rich investors who can sit on a property forever. We look like we are blighted by people who can't afford to fix their property and that's a factor, but I have mapped this out and I can assure you it's rich people who are hurting us. We are line on a spreadsheet to them. We are not a community. They live in places like Leawood and Weatherby Lake. We are the ones who have to keep their places from being broken into by squatters. Our property taxes are subsidizing their investment because they are paying far less than we are.

So we get screwed either way. There are people in my neighborhood right now who are at risk of being displaced. We are desperately trying to figure out how to do multiple things at the same time. Do I want development? Hell, yes. I'm tired of staring at empty spaces and not having anything to do. We don't have enough neighbors. We need more people to support a small business or even a daycare, which we desperately need. I also understand how long an investor is willing to hold a property vacant to get that kind of money they expect. Most investors lie to us about what they're going to do, 90 percent of the time. There's a building on my block right now where this lady put minimal investment into it. She bought it for less than $800,000 and listed it for just under $2 million. It will sit there forever because it's not worth that and there's no way to put enough apartments into it to make it work.

There is no economic study backing up what you're saying about the stadium. Have we had a traffic review? An environmental review? All those things we are supposed to do before major development? Has the South Loop cap been approved by MoDot? Real public engagement?

The worst thing you can do as a developer is to go into a community and say you know what is best for them. First of all, they hate your guts. Secondly, you might not be right.
I'm not sure what neighborhood you live in and I can't speak to what I don't know. It seems like you're dealing with property owners who are unwilling to invest and build, that's not what we've experienced for the most part in the central entertainment area of downtown.

My comment about this area where the stadium is planned to go not representing the greater neighborhood - There are some awesome, dense and vibrant areas of Crossroads, but this isn't one of them. That's not meant to be mean, it's just reality and can be proven by breaking down the percentage of vacant buildings, surface parking lots vs active tenants. Take out the ones who want to sell and you're left with literally 3 or 4 tenants who at this point, are pissed and opposed. I can't blame them a bit.

As for economic studies, traffic reviews, environmental reviews etc, those are all part of the process that have either been done or will be done. You don't dump a billion dollars into something that people can't get to. You don't dump millions of tax payer funding into a project that will hurt the average taxpayer. Our elected officials, both local and state think this is the best plan. It's not just the rich guys.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It works fine for commuting and real life traffic. google maps can't tell us what we need to know about putting in 35k people into and out of the stadium by using the "it doesn't look busy in the morning" argument.

For sure this would be a discussion for EV site too. There we wouldn't be eliminating a major street like Oak though. Not only that but it's impacts on other surrounds is greater at this site.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:54 am Our elected officials, both local and state think this is the best plan. It's not just the rich guys.
I've not seen this from our local council. They have even said they weren't consulted about this location and have serious questions about it. So let's be honest with our statements here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:41 am This would take some real life event traffic management for gamedays, something Tmo could already have used, to get implemented properly. Things like how to route Truman for high flow, better signage for parking and traffic flow, how to keep Main from being a primary thoroughfare, etc.

These are the things I don't feel like we will do. This wouldn't impact me even a little but it's going to be a negative to the Royals and the driving fans they need to still be able to accommodate.
I agree with you here on the need but I am optimistic that the city and downtown stakeholders will get this traffic flow figured out. This is a major step in becoming a real big city downtown and that requires some serious changes and more detailed management.

I for one can't wait to see the days where there's multiple events spread across the entire day, with people walking around downtown from 10am to 1am. Opening day baseball will be cool again.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:57 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:54 am Our elected officials, both local and state think this is the best plan. It's not just the rich guys.
I've not seen this from our local council. They have even said they weren't consulted about this location and have serious questions about it. So let's be honest with our statements here.
I'm talking about our Mayor, Governor, Jackson County Legislature and several city council members. What some decide to say publicly is up to them but they're going to play politics. Of course some will take up a different opinion in order to ensure they remain in office.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:54 am It works fine for commuting and real life traffic. google maps can't tell us what we need to know about putting in 35k people into and out of the stadium by using the "it doesn't look busy in the morning" argument.

For sure this would be a discussion for EV site too. There we wouldn't be eliminating a major street like Oak though. Not only that but it's impacts on other surrounds is greater at this site.
If Downtown KC's road system is barely impacted by 500k-800k going downtown and most of them leaving pretty close to the same time, then why in the world would 35k do anything? I seriously watched downtown traffic during most of the parade event, I even pulled up the cameras from KC Scout. Almost no traffic. And remember, the Broadway Bridge is closed in one direction (more proof that it did not need to become another freeway).

Downtown KC can easily handle a stadium. The main thing will be to force people to not uses the closest exits to the stadium that's all. They need to close many of the tiny exits on the downtown loop and push people to the larger capacity exits and streets like Paseo.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

this is silly to still be posting about, we agree here.

this is also not even top 5 of my concerns, the only reason I really brought it up was because of closing Oak which I think is something that impacts our downtown more than just gamedays.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Oak can be closed, but Locust would need to be beefed up and turned back into a two way street inside the loop and the bridge over 670 straitened out. The thing about Oak is it's generally a wider street so better for having bike lanes etc. One positive about Locust is it's basically a straight shot to the HoA Bridge. However, it doesn't cross the RR canyon to the south like Oak does.

I do think it would be ideal to keep Oak open from a more urban walkability standpoint though at least for pedestrians and cyclists.